A7M 266/ X-Gammer 5.1

G

I just built my new dream system. A7M 266, 1333 T-Bird, 256 DDR Crucial 2100, IBM 30 Gig, Intel network, ATI Radeon 64 DDR, and Creative x-Gammer 5.1. The install went fine until I installed the sound card. The card is working fine but upon boot up each time I get an error, EMM 386 not installed etc. It then waits a second and says, " EMM386 active" and boots up fine. There are some other parts to the error messages but that is the jist of it. Does anyone have ann answers for me.

Thanks

tartarhus

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
The error you are getting occurs at boot because the sound blaster emulation device driver requires the emm386.exe device to be loaded in order to function. This will only effect your ability to use your soundblaster live card when in pure dos mode and should have no effect on you windows system. If you would like to fix the problem so that your sound card will work in pure dos mode then you will have to edit your config.sys file and add the following line:
device=EMM386.EXE

this entry must come after the command
device=HIMEM.SYS

to edit your config.sys use notepad.
If you are using windowsME, i highly recommend uninstalling your dos drivers completely as winMe does not offer native support for pure dos mode. Just use a dos command window.