A7N8X deluxe - Internal Audio Connectors

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.dcom.modems (More info?)

The internal audio connectors listed on page 30 of the A7N8X deluxe
manual are CD1, AUX1 and MODEM1.

Where's the MODEM1 volume control on the nForce Audio properties?

http://img6.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img6&image=nforce.jpg

Am I supposed to connect my new AOpen FM56-PX Controllerless PCI Modem
to AUX1 or CD1 because there's no volume control for the MODEM1 input?

And what's with the volume control for "Video"? What does that
connect to? (That's not in the A7N8X deluxe manual either.)

And how long are the ASUS forums at
http://www.asus.com.tw/support/english/techref/forum/index.aspx going
to say "Due to system maintenance, ASUS NetQ Forum will be closed
temporarily from today onwards"?

And the broken graphic links on AOpen's instructions page aren't very
helpful either:

http://club.aopen.com.tw/faq/FAQ_showAnswer.asp?RecNo=383&Language=English

Nero

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.dcom.modems (More info?)

Unless your modem is a speakerphone one and used for fax/data/internet calls

Paul

Splendid
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.dcom.modems (More info?)

In article <17776f61.0408290855.1dc45aa2@posting.google.com>,
chuck.kahn@sympatico.ca (Chuck Kahn) wrote:

> The internal audio connectors listed on page 30 of the A7N8X deluxe
> manual are CD1, AUX1 and MODEM1.
>
> Where's the MODEM1 volume control on the nForce Audio properties?
>
> http://img6.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img6&image=nforce.jpg
>
> Am I supposed to connect my new AOpen FM56-PX Controllerless PCI Modem
> to AUX1 or CD1 because there's no volume control for the MODEM1 input?
>
> And what's with the volume control for "Video"? What does that
> connect to? (That's not in the A7N8X deluxe manual either.)
>
> And how long are the ASUS forums at
> http://www.asus.com.tw/support/english/techref/forum/index.aspx going
> to say "Due to system maintenance, ASUS NetQ Forum will be closed
> temporarily from today onwards"?
>
> And the broken graphic links on AOpen's instructions page aren't very
> helpful either:
>
> http://club.aopen.com.tw/faq/FAQ_showAnswer.asp?RecNo=383&Language=English

Your board uses the ALC650 CODEC chip. The last datasheet I got
was from here, one of three Realtek FTP servers:

ftp://152.104.125.40/pc/ac97/alc650/alc650_data5.zip

Inside all of that, you get the "ALC650 Data Sheet_1.28.pdf".
The modem1 connector would probably get wired to the "Phone"
input (pin 13) and "Mono-out" (pin 37 speakerphone out). So,
there are some hardware connections Asus could have used. There
is a block diagram of the chip on page 3 of the datasheet.

As for your control panel, there is some correspondence to the
inputs on the ALC650, but the Mono-out one is missing. Maybe this
is hidden from the user, and is controlled by the software for the
modem ?

Plug the Modem into the Modem1 plug and try it. Since there are
baseline standards for AC97, maybe all this is covered by standards
and it will work without assistance (you know, "plug and pray").

Just a guess,
Paul

"Nero" <nero@rome.it> wrote in message news:<41322db7$0$91685$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net>...
> Why do you need modem audio?

I want to use the speakerphone features of my voicemodem -- I
specifically bought this AOpen model for those features.

> gonna plug your headset into the modem???

Yes, I also bought a headset for this purpose.

nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote in message news:<nospam-2908042244380001@192.168.1.177>...
> In article <17776f61.0408290855.1dc45aa2@posting.google.com>,
> chuck.kahn@sympatico.ca (Chuck Kahn) wrote:
>
> > The internal audio connectors listed on page 30 of the A7N8X deluxe
> > manual are CD1, AUX1 and MODEM1.
> >
> > Where's the MODEM1 volume control on the nForce Audio properties?
> >
> > http://img6.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img6&image=nforce.jpg
>
> Your board uses the ALC650 CODEC chip. The last datasheet I got
> was from here, one of three Realtek FTP servers:
>
> ftp://152.104.125.40/pc/ac97/alc650/alc650_data5.zip
>
> Inside all of that, you get the "ALC650 Data Sheet_1.28.pdf".
> The modem1 connector would probably get wired to the "Phone"
> input (pin 13) and "Mono-out" (pin 37 speakerphone out). So,
> there are some hardware connections Asus could have used. There
> is a block diagram of the chip on page 3 of the datasheet.
>
> As for your control panel, there is some correspondence to the
> inputs on the ALC650, but the Mono-out one is missing. Maybe this
> is hidden from the user, and is controlled by the software for the
> modem ?
>
> Plug the Modem into the Modem1 plug and try it. Since there are
> baseline standards for AC97, maybe all this is covered by standards
> and it will work without assistance (you know, "plug and pray").

I plugged it in and I can hear the tone dialing through my speakers
connected to the A7N8X-deluxe's line out (and it's level is controlled
through the master volume, not through any of the other pots - AUX,
MIC, etc.), but the audio cuts out after the dialing is done, so no
ringing, no voice. I installed the latest nForce Unified Drivers
(nForce_4.27_WinXP2K_WHQL_english.exe) with the AOpen modem drivers
present, but that did not bring up a modem listing in the mixer.

Adding ATM2 ("Speaker is always on") to the "Extra initilization
commands" of the modem properties isn't keeping the audio going after
dialing either. Is there an AT command for full-duplex that needs to
be used?

Connecting my speakers directly to the modem's line out jack isn't
keeping the audio going after dialing either.

Maybe updating the A7N8X-deluxe's BIOS will give better MODEM1
performance. My current BIOS:

- Award BIOS Message ASUS A7N8X2.0 Deluxe ACPI BIOS Rev 1005
- System BIOS Date 05/14/03

"Chuck Kahn" <chuck.kahn@post-in-toronto.on.ca> wrote in message
| nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote in message
| > In article <17776f61.0408290855.1dc45aa2@posting.google.com>,
| > chuck.kahn@sympatico.ca (Chuck Kahn) wrote:
| >
| > > The internal audio connectors listed on page 30 of the A7N8X
deluxe
| > > manual are CD1, AUX1 and MODEM1.
| > >
| > > Where's the MODEM1 volume control on the nForce Audio
properties?

| > > http://img6.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img6&image=nforce.jpg
| >
| > Your board uses the ALC650 CODEC chip. The last datasheet I got
| > was from here, one of three Realtek FTP servers:
| >
| > ftp://152.104.125.40/pc/ac97/alc650/alc650_data5.zip
| >
| > Inside all of that, you get the "ALC650 Data Sheet_1.28.pdf".
| > The modem1 connector would probably get wired to the "Phone"
| > input (pin 13) and "Mono-out" (pin 37 speakerphone out). So,
| > there are some hardware connections Asus could have used. There
| > is a block diagram of the chip on page 3 of the datasheet.
| >
| > As for your control panel, there is some correspondence to the
| > inputs on the ALC650, but the Mono-out one is missing. Maybe this
| > is hidden from the user, and is controlled by the software for the
| > modem ?
| >
| > Plug the Modem into the Modem1 plug and try it. Since there are
| > baseline standards for AC97, maybe all this is covered by
standards
| > and it will work without assistance (you know, "plug and pray").
|
| I plugged it in and I can hear the tone dialing through my speakers
| connected to the A7N8X-deluxe's line out (and it's level is
controlled
| through the master volume, not through any of the other pots - AUX,
| MIC, etc.), but the audio cuts out after the dialing is done, so no
| ringing, no voice. I installed the latest nForce Unified Drivers
| (nForce_4.27_WinXP2K_WHQL_english.exe) with the AOpen modem drivers
| present, but that did not bring up a modem listing in the mixer.
|
| Adding ATM2 ("Speaker is always on") to the "Extra initilization
| commands" of the modem properties isn't keeping the audio going
after
| dialing either. Is there an AT command for full-duplex that needs
| be used?
|
| Connecting my speakers directly to the modem's line out jack isn't
| keeping the audio going after dialing either.
|
| Maybe updating the A7N8X-deluxe's BIOS will give better MODEM1
| performance. My current BIOS:
|
| - Award BIOS Message ASUS A7N8X2.0 Deluxe ACPI BIOS Rev 1005
| - System BIOS Date 05/14/03

Out of curiosity, what program are you using for dialing/speakerphone
operation?

Do you have the headset connected to MIC in and Audio out jacks?

I am no expert but but I think for speakerphone operation with a modem
to be successful the modem must receive a sequence of AT voice
commands to put the modem in the correct operational mode. In
particular, from the commands below, I believe the at+fclass=8 and
at+vsp=1 must be issued to put the modem in speakerphone operational
mode. The following is lifted from my Agere chipset modem INF
installation file:

;HKR,, SpeakerPhoneSpecs, 1, ff,00,00,00, 00,00,00,00,
ff,00,00,00, 00,00,00,00
;HKR, SpeakerPhoneEnable, 1,, "at+fclass=8<cr>"
;HKR, SpeakerPhoneEnable, 2,, "at+vem=1<cr>"
;HKR, SpeakerPhoneEnable, 3,, "at+vsp=1<cr>"
;HKR, SpeakerPhoneDisable, 1,, "at+fclass=8<cr>"
;HKR, SpeakerPhoneDisable, 2,, "at+vsp=0<cr>"
; v.80 incoming video & dsvd detection - enable v8 detection in voice
mode
;HKR, SpeakerPhoneUnMute, 1,, "at+a8e=,5,,2<cr>"
;HKR, SpeakerPhoneUnMute, 2,, "at+vls=7<cr>"
; if v.80 is not enabled - do not send video detection
;HKR, SpeakerPhoneUnMute, 1,, "at+vgm=128<cr>"
;HKR, SpeakerPhoneMute, 1,, "at+vgm=0<cr>"
;HKR, SpeakerPhoneSetVolumeGain, 1,, "at+vgs=<Vol><cr>"
;HKR, SpeakerPhoneSetVolumeGain, 2,, "at+vgm=<Gain><cr>"

To understand the significance of each of the commands, you should
review the chipset manufacturer's AT command reference documentation.
It may be possible to manually force the modem into speakerphone mode
using Hyperterm in a test scenario by entering the correct sequence of
commands.

My particular modem does not support speakerphone, so most of the
install lines above are "commented out" by the ";" in front of the
lines so Windows will not attempt to activate such operational modes.

Just my two bits worth.
--
Best regards,
Kyle

Paul

Splendid
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.dcom.modems (More info?)

In article <3f532227.0408300541.7b5a5c0e@posting.google.com>,
chuck.kahn@post-in-toronto.on.ca (Chuck Kahn) wrote:

> Adding ATM2 ("Speaker is always on") to the "Extra initilization
> commands" of the modem properties isn't keeping the audio going after
> dialing either. Is there an AT command for full-duplex that needs to
> be used?
>
> Connecting my speakers directly to the modem's line out jack isn't
> keeping the audio going after dialing either.
>
> Maybe updating the A7N8X-deluxe's BIOS will give better MODEM1
> performance. My current BIOS:
>
> - Award BIOS Message ASUS A7N8X2.0 Deluxe ACPI BIOS Rev 1005
> - System BIOS Date 05/14/03

I decided to try another direction.

I downloaded the manual for the product from here - select Fax/Modems
and your model number:

http://download.aopen.com.tw/downloads/default.asp?firtime=1&keyword=Manual&searchoption=keyword&sel=category&optionfun=typefun

The PDF manual:
http://download.aopen.com.tw/downloads/Download.asp?RecNo=3938&Section=8&Product=Fax/Modems&Model=FM56-PX&Type=Manual&DownSize=287

Using the newegg site, I got a picture of the modem PCI board, and
it has a Conexant CX06834 chip on it.

Chipset:
http://conexant.com/products/entry.jsp?id=167

"CX06834 HCF PCI V.92 Modem Device Set

The Conexant CX06834 Host-Controlled V.92/V.90/K56flex Modem
supports V.92 (optional) and V.90 analog data modem operation
with V.44 data compression and supports 14.4 kbps fax modem
operation. The modem supports remote telephone answering machine
(TAM), soft speakerphone, hardware voice/speakerphone (optional),
and PCI Bus interface operation. The modem operates with PSTN
telephone lines in the U.S./Japan/Canada and worldwide. The modem,
part number CX06834 or R6795, is packaged in a single 144-pin thin
quad flat pack (TQFP) that integrates a PCI Bus Interface (BIF),
a Modem Data Pump (MDP) and a Line Codec (LC) to support
data/fax/remote TAM (D/F) operation. This is the lowest cost device
option. The modem optionally uses a Line/Voice Codec (LVC) instead
of the LC to support data/fax/voice/speakerphone (D/F/V/SP)
operation."

As the chip itself went out of production in the year 2000, there
is no more info to be had about the chip itself, or further
explanation of the paragraph above. Judging by the picture in the
manual, of a microphone and speaker jack on the faceplate of the
PCI card, that suggests a hardware speakerphone.

The card has enough wiring to provide functionality any way it
wants. The fact there is a PCI bus connection, means if they wanted,
the voice samples could be digitized and pulled digitally via the
PCI bus. Or, the four pin cable (not documented in the manual!)
could be connected to _something_. That three pin header, could be
for a "wake on modem" function. There is so little info to go
on here, really the only info of value may be buried in the
driver for the product itself. I even tried looking for other
products that use CX06834, and those paths look pretty dried up
too. An altavista search suggests CX06834 products are still being
sold in Russia.

I noticed when shopping for a modem a year ago, that voice features
seem to have disappeared from dial up modems, and it seems the modem
industry has "imploded". Because high speed internet access is no
where near being universal, there is still a lot of modem business
to be had out there, but it seems no one is interested in that
business. I guess this will leave a lot of customers high and dry,
when it comes to support, drivers, and decent documentation.

Good luck, you'll need it!

Paul

> [...]
| for a "wake on modem" function. There is so little info to go
| on here, really the only info of value may be buried in the
| driver for the product itself. I even tried looking for other
| products that use CX06834, and those paths look pretty dried up
| too. An altavista search suggests CX06834 products are still being
| sold in Russia.
|
| I noticed when shopping for a modem a year ago, that voice features
| seem to have disappeared from dial up modems, and it seems the modem
| industry has "imploded". Because high speed internet access is no
| where near being universal, there is still a lot of modem business
| to be had out there, but it seems no one is interested in that
| business. I guess this will leave a lot of customers high and dry,
| when it comes to support, drivers, and decent documentation.

As a matter of fact, I nearly hit the "add to cart" button for that
exact modem a few days ago while surfing Newegg as I am disappointed
with an Agere and an Intel chipset based modem I've tried recently.

I use a modem with TAM capability to answer the phone and take
messages or receive faxes. The voice features with the recent cheapie
modems (controllerless and software type) are not always properly
implemented (typically driver problems). For example, the Agere
software modem I tried used an electronic "switch" DAA device rather
than a relay to go off hook, and the DAA device caused dial tone
detection problems (it sounds as if the AGP response is too slow). I
finally fixed that problem by introducing a delay in dial tone
detection, or disabling dial tone detection, forget which one worked
the best. The agere modem connects at the highest speeds I've seen
yet to a dialup ISP. Even after solving the dial tone detection
problem, I have yet to find a driver that properly implements "silence
detection/deletion" in voice operation for the Agere chipset. My
Intel chipset based modem periodically hangs up on callers, again, a
problem with silence detection/deletion, and fiddling with settings
only makes the problem worse it seems. In addition, the Intel based
modem I have does not support Caller ID, though the chip does support
this feature, turns out the modem board itself requires a particular
line interface device for caller ID to function with the chip, and my
board uses the less expensive DAA device.

The Aopen support forums provide some help with that particular modem,
and perhaps posting a question there may generate some responses from
those in the know. I noted the 3-wire 4-pin connection for internal
audio with the Aopen modem which appears to be a direct connection the
mobo header sound connections. Would be interested to hear further
updates from the OP on this modem and successes/failures.
--
Best regards,
Kyle

"Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:<2pha82Fk75faU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> Out of curiosity, what program are you using for dialing/speakerphone
> operation?

I am using FaxTalk Communicator, which is provided on the AOpen
Fax/Modem Suite CD.

> Do you have the headset connected to MIC in and Audio out jacks?

Yes. When connected to the MIC in/Audio out jacks, I hear only
dialing. When connected to the modem's MIC in/Audio out jacks, I hear
dialing, ringing and voice. I would rather not have to switch my
headset back and forth between the soundcard and the modem.

> I am no expert but but I think for speakerphone operation with a modem
> to be successful the modem must receive a sequence of AT voice
> commands to put the modem in the correct operational mode.

Would I initiate these commands with FaxTalk or with HyperTerminal?
And wouldn't FaxTalk reinitialize the modem once it starts, resetting
all the HyperTerminal initiated commands? And how many of these
commands relate to the Conexant CX06834 chipset in my AOpen FM56-PX?

| "Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
| > Out of curiosity, what program are you using for
dialing/speakerphone
| > operation?
|
| I am using FaxTalk Communicator, which is provided on the AOpen
| Fax/Modem Suite CD.
|
| > Do you have the headset connected to MIC in and Audio out jacks?
|
| Yes. When connected to the MIC in/Audio out jacks, I hear only
| dialing. When connected to the modem's MIC in/Audio out jacks, I
hear
| dialing, ringing and voice. I would rather not have to switch my
| headset back and forth between the soundcard and the modem.

Yes, such a cumbersome setup is undesirable.

| > I am no expert but but I think for speakerphone operation with a
modem
| > to be successful the modem must receive a sequence of AT voice
| > commands to put the modem in the correct operational mode.
|
| Would I initiate these commands with FaxTalk or with HyperTerminal?
| And wouldn't FaxTalk reinitialize the modem once it starts,
resetting
| all the HyperTerminal initiated commands? And how many of these
| commands relate to the Conexant CX06834 chipset in my AOpen FM56-PX?

As I mentioned before, I am not certain as to all of the commands that
are required to put your modem into speakerphone operational mode.
The best place to find this info is an AT command manual from conexant
for the chipset and read it in depth. Hopefully, it may include some
examples. I suggested using hyperterm to "test" a command sequence as
one mechanism to access the modem directly. Faxtalk will, as you have
deduced, reset the modem when it stats up. I also note that Faxtalk
is TAPI compliant, and you can run hyperterm after faxtalk is running.

Here is an example of what I'm trying to relate. The following is an
excerpt from the original Rockwell "AT Commands for RC288ACx and
RC144ACx Modem Families" chipset manual:

Originating a Call in Speakerphone Mode

To initiate a call with the speakerphone, issue:
AT#CLS=8
AT#VRN=0
AT#VLS=6 (Selects the speakerphone)
It is recommended to set the VRN command to 0 which disables ringback
detection before reporting the VCON message.
ATDT<number>
The modem then responds with:
VCON (based on the AT#VRA and #VRN setting)
Additional DTMF (for example in a voice mail application) can be
entered by issuing:
AT#VTS=<digit>
When DTMF digits are sent, it is recommended that the default value of
the tone length be changed to 100 ms using the
command #VBT:
AT#VBT=1
The call can be transferred (PBX function) by entering the flash dial
modifier (AT#VTS=!).
Terminate the call with:
ATH

Answering a Call in Speakerphone Mode

To answer a call in speakerphone mode, issue:
AT#CLS=8
AT#VLS=6 (Selects the speakerphone)
When the modem detects the ring, the modems reports:
RING
The DTE can answer with:
ATA
The modem sets the speakerphone and sends:
VCON
Terminate the call with:
ATH

I use Faxtalk Messenger Pro, and like it for the most part, tho it
could use a couple of user interface improvements. My favorite
voice/fax software was Faxworks, which was bundled with a lot of
modems years ago. It's now an extinct product. I really liked
Faxworks, as it was reliable and consistent in its operation.

Faxtalk must provide full speakerphone support and must also recognize
the modem as a speakerphone modem for this to all work nicely. In
addition, the modem and it's drivers must include the capability to
properly interface with the computer system's audio mixer, and
specific audio signals must be available on the mobo to connect to the
modem.

I have an older Rockwell hardware 33.6 modem with full speakerphone
capability, however, to use it in speakerphone mode, a separate mic is
required/plugged into the back of the modem and the Faxworks software
must be used for dialing the number so that the modem is properly
initialized to work in speakerphone mode. I can then hear the "other
party" in my computer speakers, but my voice signal is supplied to the
modem via a path outside the mobo sound mixer (iow, a separate mic).
To make things work exactly as you desire, the tricky part is how does
one get the sound card's "mic only" signal delivered to the
appropriate connection on the modem. What one needs is a buffered mic
only signal to supply to the modem's mic audio input. One does not
want the speaker output (or mixer output) mixed in with the mic audio
as that will cause feedback in the phone line. I am uncertain if such
a "mic only" signal is available with many mobos.

--
Best regards,
Kyle

TRENDING THREADS