ironhell

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2002
Okay... So one day my A7N8X system decides to not log on to the school network... I am using the on-board LAN and it worked fine for a while until one day, SOMETHING happened. Well, I verified that the port and the cable I am using works (but trying it on my suitemate's computer), so it's GOTTA be my computer. Well, I also tried installing another network card, but THAT still doesn't work... so what? BOTH my network card AND my mobo are bad? The odd thing is, there are blinking lights on the network card/motherboard LAN, but only one of them is blinking. I check out the status and it says I am sending, but NOT receiving... So any ideas as to what's up? Is it my win XP screwing up? (I tried to uninstall my TCP/IP drivers etc... so now I am up to "Network Connection 4")

Please help, thanks.

Chro

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2003
try assigning the same ip's to each computer last didgit give a different number and subnet mask as: 255.255.255.0

ironhell

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2002
I am at school... so everyone gets an assigned IP... so you want me to try and change my mask? I think that's assigned too.

Thanks.

FO_SHO

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003
I don't think it's caused by your mobo. If you're up to Network connection 4, then I think you're doing something wrong. First, delete all your network connections, go into the hardware and uninstall the device (LAN). Then when you boot up again, XP should said "new hardware found". Since you got the A7N8X I'm guessing you got the dual lan, so make sure you have your cable on the right "jack". Other than that, you should take it up with the networking part of this board.

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
Try pinging the other comps... and getting them to ping you.. sounds like the comp is trying to find a network but can't .. also possible you fried you NC...

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
First off, TCP/IP is an integral part of XP, so you can't uninstall it.

try typing the following in a dos prompt:

"netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt"

then, go back into you network connections, rt-click the connection and select properties. Go to the networking tab, and select TCP/IP and then hit properties. Enter "192.168.0.1" as the IP address, and 255.255.255.0 should populate the field below.

If this doesn't work, try removing the IP address.

As for ping tests, find out from your network admin what the router address is, and then in a dos prompt try pinging it ("ping 1.2.3.4"), as well as "ping 127.0.0.1" and ping a website (if your LAN has web access).

Most likely what happened is windows reset your TCP/IP settings. Talk to your network admin to see if there are any special settings or proxies, then get back to us. I do tech for AT&T, so I can provide some fixes if you desire.

XP 2500+ Barton
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
ATI 9700 Pro
16x DVD-ROM
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Onboard audio