Dec 31, 2007
Hi, I've just built a system using:

t-bird 900 mhz socket a
a7v
ibm 30gig hd
asus 50x cd rom
floppy
asus 7100 all in deluxe --geforce mx, 32mb, agp

The bios (even though it is 1003) is reading everything, even when the hd is in the ata 100 slot.

While the hd is in the ata-100 slot and I try to load wdws 2000, i hit f6 while loading, and it lets me choose to install a new driver for the hd while installing. When i put the floppy in, the floppy drive won't read it.

so, i put the hd in the blue ide slot, put the cd-rom in 2nd ide slot. Bios still reads everything just fine, and wdws 2000 will load, find the hd, and format it. however, at some point, wdws asks to put wdws2000 cd in, to copy files, and of course it's already there, and it won't read the cd. the system still boots. when i try to use the floppy drive, it won't read any floppys, and in fact is erasing them. it says in the system folder that the floppy is working fine. wdws does not acknowledge the cd-rom at all.

2 questions:

is the floppy drive shot, or is there something else i should look for?

why will wdws 2000 not acknowledge the cd-rom?

any other advice is greatly appreciated!

thanks

G

Don't know if this helps, but ... I had "file not found" (i.e. .cab files) during Windows install. I had to put cdrom on the Secondary IDE to solve problem. If you look in the a7v manual it recommends that the cdroms be put on the secondary controller.