BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
I was wondering if any one with the A7V has slow bootup. I ahve the latest drivers for the bios and promise chip.It takes 1 1/2 minutes to boot. I don't if the 128 lve causes this or not. Any ideas would be appreciated. The only thing I have to do to finish my PC is up grade the power supply to 300w form 250w. I am running a 800 thunder Bird. I have some problems with expert 128. It will freeze up the pc on some site that have alot of colors if I run in the 32 bit color mode.Some games freeze up too. I have the latest drivers for the mobo and the expert 128. the bios is a updated version too. Thanks for some advise. bruce

G

1-1/2 minutes is FAST. My A7V+Tbird 800 takes about 2 minutes. I guess we will just need to be patient. I have no experience with the ATI card. Good luck.

G

Hrm. Back when I was using my P2-400, I managed to get my win 98 se boot time to about 35 seconds (from bios BEEP to windows login). I've noticed it's a bit slower with my kt7, but I'm still not very familiar with this amd system enough to really make it scream like it should.=)

<font color=red>=P

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
heck, my win2k machine boots up in about a minute and a half, its faster than windows 98 used to be

If at first you don't succede, skydiving isn't for you.
<font color=blue>Intel Inside</font color=blue> = Idiot Outside

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Is your ATI card RAGE 128 or RAGE 128 PRO based?

Do you have an ethernet card? If you specify a default IP address Win doesn't go looking for a DHCP server every time you boot which speeds things up considerably.

1 1/2 minutes doesn't seem that long to me anyway...

- JW

G

Doesn't sound too bad....since you are using the latest bios and drivers, there is not much you can do, except go into the bios and turn off the auto detect stuff...let the bios know what is installed where yourself, where to boot from etc. This should save you 20 secs...just enough time to take a quick bite of doughnut. BTW 250 PS should be OK, as long as the PS is of a good quality.

DESIGN TEAM

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Is your hard drive ata100? Is your hard drive hooked up to the ata100 controller. If you are not using an ata100 hard drive, make sure you put your HD on the ata66 IDE port and disable the promise controller in the device manager.

G

I also have an A7V that takes quite awhile to boot up. I built the system about a month ago, and just recently reformatted and reinstalled all components. I had some network problems and wanted to start with a clean slate.Needless to say the second time around didn't go quite as well as the first. But to make a long story short, I observed that my slow boot problem went away when I did not have the Promise controller installed. I have a Maxtor 30 Gig HD (7200), which I assume is compatible with the 100 bus. I've decided to live with the slow boot, to gain the extra bandwith. System and network is running smooth now. (Knock on Wood)..

toonces

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
try going to the start menu and "run"ning "msconfig". you should be able to get rid of some of the programs running in the background that you don't want and they won't load up when windows starts. that can cut down a little time. just don't touch explorer or systray and you should be okay.

<font color=red>booyah, grandma, booyah..</font color=red>

G

Hi,

If you have a network card installed, make sure it has an IP address assigned to it (e.g. 192.168.0.1). Recently did a Win98 reinstall on a m8s machine, and boot time decreased when an IP was assigned in the TCP/IP properties page. We then installed a Symbios SCSI card for a HP scanner and the boot time increased again :OD

HTH

Mootin

G

I'm not sure what you're planning to do with it, but, from what I've seen (granted, it's a few months old...) the bandwidth on the ATA100 makes little difference over the ATA66 or even the ATA33. Apparently, the drives don't use up more than about 30MB/s at this point. Not sure if this is true anymore, but if it is, then you may want to forget the ATA100 controller for now. It really does slow down the boot process a LOT. Of course, I believe there are also settings in the ATA100 BIOS (I'm no longer sure how to get into them) which will allow you to tell it to quit detecting drives. It's the detection process that slows everything down. :/ I think I'll be moving my drive over to ATA66 until I can get into that BIOS again...

Charles

TRENDING THREADS