A7V8X-X component recommendations?

Posted this yesterday to alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus, but looks
like this is the main group. Why are there two groups?

Anyway...

I am building a machine for my son to take to college. He only needs a
basic system. I have built a few boxes with ECS k7s5a boards, but
thought I try an Asus this time. I'm looking at the A7V8X-X / Sempron
2200; here are some questions... First, is this a good choice for a
basic system? Is there another Asus in this price range I should
consider?

TIA. Sorry for double post...I'll only post here from now on.

I am posting this from an A7V8X-X based PC that I built for my
mother and it has been a superb system. It has an Athlon XP 2800+
CPU, 512 MB Crucial RAM, ATI 9200 Video, and Hitachi 120 GB Deskstar
HDD w/8Mb cache. It has been running flawlessly since July 2003
(although I upgraded the HDD two weeks ago to dual boot) and I
can recommend it highly. It boots Windows XP Pro and Fedora Core 4
and runs both without problems.

Philip Wright

webguy262@yahoo.com wrote:
> Posted this yesterday to alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus, but looks
> like this is the main group. Why are there two groups?
>
> Anyway...
>
> I am building a machine for my son to take to college. He only needs a
> basic system. I have built a few boxes with ECS k7s5a boards, but
> thought I try an Asus this time. I'm looking at the A7V8X-X / Sempron
> 2200; here are some questions... First, is this a good choice for a
> basic system? Is there another Asus in this price range I should
> consider?
>
> TIA. Sorry for double post...I'll only post here from now on.

Thanks philip. Is your ATI the SE version? I saw a list of Asus
recommended v'cards and it had the 9200 SE. Are you using 2700 RAM?

I am using a standard Radeon 9200 and pc32000 RAM.

-PW