A8N-SLI and Zalman CNPS7000-Cu?

ray8888888

Apr 16, 2005
Hello everyone. I’m following my grandfather’s words of “if you don’t know the answer, find someone who does and ask them.” Today’s question would be about a cpu cooling unit. I’ve been putting together a plan for a computer I’d like to build. The specifications are as follows.

Case: Lian Li PC-V1000
Motherboard: A8N-SLI
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 512K 90nm (939)
Memory: 2 x 512mb 184-pin DDR400 non-ECC un-buffered
PSU: Antec TP-II 550
Video: undecided yet
Other: Hardrives, dvd, cdrw, floppy, ect…

I’ve tried to read up on the components and they seem to be well received and have good reviews. The Lian Li case seems like it should very good at keeping the internal components cool. My concern was whether I need to put a better cooling unit on the cpu than what comes prepackaged with it. Will the combination of the better air flow in the case and the prepackaged cpu cooler keep the cpu at a proper operating tempature? If they won’t, I was looking at cooling units and the Zalman CNPS7000-Cu seemed to be quite popular. Will the zalman fit ok on the motherboard in question? I looked at a picture of the motherboard at asus’s website and I wasn’t sure if the zalman would fit ok or not. If anyone has any insights as to if this setup would be ok or suggestions to the setup, I’d love to hear them. Thank you for your time.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
That cooler will fit fine on the A8N-SLI. Companies that make large coolers like the CNPS7000-Cu always make motherboard compatability charts avaliable on their website. Zalman is no exception :)
I only have one gripe with the zalman coolers. They are a pain in the butt to clean. I had to take a toothpick through every fin on my little brothers CNPS7000-Cu to get all the junk out. My Thermalright XP-120 is much more compressed air friendly. It or the slightly smaller XP-90 will also work on that board.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

G

Which of those 3 do you think is better for a winchester 3200? The zalman, the xp 90 or the xp 120?

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>
<pre> Always remember to keep testicles away from live wiring </pre><p>

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
The XP120 would be best due to sheer size. If you don't want something that big go with the XP90.
I'll have some pics up of my new computer by tomorrow if u want to see how big the XP120 is compared to everything else. I have it on a Athlon64 3500+ in a A8N-SLI Deluxe.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
well if your not going to OC your cpu
there is no reason to use anything else then the stock cooler
there is a reason they warranty it for 3 years if you purchase it with the stock cooler, oem versions only have 30 day warranty. The stock cooler is not bad at all

SUPPORT AMD. KICK INTEL OUT OF YOUR PC.