A8n-SLI Premium - Converting SATA Ports

bradleyjere

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
I purchased a SATA DVD burner having forgotten that I have used all my black SATA ports. I want to use a red Silicon SATA port to plug this new drive in. I have seen several places on the internet that claim these ports can be used this way but nobody ever explains how to actually set it up. Since this is a DVD burner I don't think I should be setting it up as an array of one drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Even if it is just to say that it is impossible for me to do this.

bradleyjere

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Supposedly either the red or the black ports are supposed to be able to be used for stand alone drives. I am aware of the SATA card but I was hoping to avoid spending an additional $15 to get one.

I have an ASUS SLI Premium up and running, but I can not remember exactly what the MB manual says regarding your question. I have several other ASUS boards and I distinctly remember readng in the MB manual of one particular MB of mine 'NOT' to use the special RAID SATA connectors for anything other than the RAID software the connectors are asociated with. Ley us know how it goes.

Page 2-23 of your MB manual.

Serial ATA RAID Controllers. Supported by the Silicon Image sil3114 RAID controller, these connectors are for serial ATA signal cables. These connectors support up to 4 serial ata hd's that can be configured as a disk array through the onboard silicon image sil3114 SATA RAID controller.

The manual goes on to say the connectors are RAID set up by default, but it is possible to disable the Silicon SATA controller in BIOS.

You might try that and see it your DVD will work hooked up to one of the controllers with the Silicon SATA controller disabled.