A8N-SLI Premium Won't Post at all HELP! UPDATE!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xfile

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004
So,

Do you think that's what's causing the trouble with people have NO POST situations with this board?? I'm curious as I haven't/didn't change any of my memory timings when I 1st built my comp. I had planned on running this PC at stock timings with no overclock. I know it seems odd that I purchaced this MOBO for that purpose, but I wanted to have plenty of headroom if I ever decided to "kick it up a notch" :)

There may be an issue with the board picking up the memory timings. After I returned my Corsair memory, and replaced it with the Crucial Ballistix memory (more aggressive, stock memory timings) It immediately POSTED. I didn't change anything EXCEPT my BIOS, which I upgraded from v.1008 to v.1009 (the current, non beta one). There was a memory fix as part of the upgrade, but the web site wasn't too specific about it.

xfile

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004
Sanador,

Did you try the POST REPORTER?? That was suggested to me early on, and it detected the problem for me, or at least pointed me in the right direction.

That's when I figured out it MIGHT be a memory problem.

X

Sanador

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
I followed that suggestion as well, X. Headphones connected to the green jack on the rear of the mobo... heard nothing.

???

In reading the last couple of posts, should I go ahead and order another set of memory sticks and try that? I hate to spend more on this, my first build, as it slowly becomes a money pit. But if there's a good chance that will solve the problem... AND then I might be able to use the original 2 Corsairs as a second pairing...?

Snale

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
If no beeps, it's the motherboard.

I own a Asus A8N Deluxe and had several problems with the firts "revisions" (they are officially all the same revision: 1.02), had to change it twice!!! If they only changed the SLI switch and the heatpipe, go for an Abit, or Gigabyte. (Asus is great too :D )

kakashi

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
My brother have the same problem and he game me the computer so I can find out what is the problem. The first thing I check it the memory. He had it on A1 and B1, If you read in the Manual, it said that you need to put it in A1 and A2 for dual. Most people don't read the manual and they assume that they have to follow the color on the memory slot. On this board it is not like that. I put in A1 and A2 and it run with no problem.

Sanador

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
Not only did I read the manual but I've tried just about every configuration I could think of. I will, of course, take your advice and try it again later in the day hoping that I somehow missed that one.

Sanador

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
In reading the last couple of posts, should I go ahead and order another set of memory sticks and try that? I hate to spend more on this, my first build, as it slowly becomes a money pit. But if there's a good chance that will solve the problem... AND then I might be able to use the original 2 Corsairs as a second pairing...?

On that note... what is the forum's opinion as to a good (and compatible!) set of system memory...let's say 2x512?

Sanador

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
The good news... I am UP & RUNNING!

The bad... I'm not sure how I did it.

Stripped the entire computer to bare bones, laid out on cardboard and wired together. Ended up removing EVERYTHING from the mobo but still couldn't hear any sounds. THEN... epiphany... realized I hadn't replaced the jumper on the front panel audio controls on the mobo. Replaced the jumper and voila, there's a female voice screaming "No CPU" in my ear! I replaced each piece one by one listening to the POST reporter errors each time until I could boot to the BIOS screen. Replaced it all in the case, added a couple of extras and installed the OS. And here I am now.

Can't thank all you guys enough for getting me through the first steps of my build. Thanks very much.

PartyChief

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
similar problem. the solution was change the ram timming to get the corsair to work. had to bump up voltage to 2.75 and change to 2.5 3 3 3 6

xfile

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004
Seems like alot of gymnastics to do just to get the memory to work at stock timings...

Any idea why there seems to be so much trouble with this MOBO even when using the "recommended" memory (Corsair) that appears on the ASUS website??

I returned my Corsair XMS memory (the stepup from the ValueSelect stuff) to Newegg for a refund thinking it might be DOA, which I thought was weird.
I know they make good memory, yet no matter what I did, my system wouldn't boot at all. See my previous posts for info.

I popped in some Crucial PC2700 just to see if I could boot, and it POSTED, not trouble.

I then popped in 2 sticks Corsair ValueSelect PC3200, and again, no problem POSTING.

I returned the Corsair, and in the meantime, did my install with XP Pro, which had a few bumps (not hardware related)

Once I figured out the issue with the nVidia software, and what I should and shouldn't install, it went ok.

I purchased 2 sticks Crucial Ballistix (2x512), installed them, and away I went. The Board detected them as Dual Channel DDR400, and it works great WITHOUT ANY ADJUSTMENTS TO MY BIOS as to timings, CAS, etc.

I did flash my BIOS to the current version 1009, to support my current CPU, and there was a fix for memory as part of that, but the ASUS website wasn't too specific as to that part of it.

I don't overclock, but could if I wanted to. It mostly matters that my system is fast and stable, which it is.

It just seems weird that there are so many little ticky things with this MOBO and its related software during installs. I've had ASUS boards like forever, and this is the 1st one I've had signifcant install quirks.

Any thoughts???

X

stealth401

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Hi,

I am on my 2nd set of 512mb matched crucial ballistix and im about to send them back as they are hanging my asus A8N premium. I was going to get some corsair but i'm thinking that i might return the mobo on a rma.

What software are you saying you should / shouldn't install with this mobo in windows as I cant see that having any issue with the initial boot?

xfile

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004
When you say hanging, what exactly do you mean? Can you POST? If so, what version of BIOS do you have?

Create a list of all of your components, and post them here...

If you can install Windows, which version?? And, do you get BSOD error messages??

X

loosscru

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I just went through the same problems and have found a solution.

SLI-Premium bios 1009 out of the box, Crucial Balistix ddr400 2x512 2-2-2-6 1t timmings and a amd 64 3200+ revE6 (venice core)

I couldn't POST turned out one of the sticks was bad. Luckly I had 4 sticks on hand because I bought two extra for another computer. Switched some sticks around got a post.

Interestingly the board defaults to different timmings then the one crucial says are SPD'd. I have heard on other boards that this could be a crucial problem as opposed to an Asus problem. In either case the memroy was timming at 2.5-3-3-8 2t @ 2.6V if i remember correctly. I manually set it to 2-2-2-6 1t @ 2.8V as per crucial specs and it ran just fine until it didn't. I was getting crashes, mem errors, etc...

Mem tested all four sticks. One that i thought was ok (and was running) turned out to be bad. It wouldn't boot by itself but would boot if it was paired with another stick. Don't ask me why. Ran memtest86+ and got 4 errors on the second test, first pass. The three other sticks all lived through 30 mins of memtest each without erros, good enough for me.

My guess is that everyone here is having memory problems, not Asus problems. From what i hear NewEgg ships alot of broken RAM, they are great about replacing it, but for whatever reason many sticks are DOA or just not DOA enough to boot as in my case.

I also think that either
1. crucial is not correctly setting thier default timmings
2. ASUS is not reading those timmings
3. ASUS is defaulting to 2.6V

I would find 1 and 2 hard to believe, crucial is setting timings, shoudln't be an issue and there is no reason why ASUS would not be able to read them. My guess is that with the tighter timmings comming out at higher voltages the MB may very well default to 2.6 unless you tell it to do otherwise and the timmings and memory problems follow.

the crucial will run at 2.6 but with losser timmings. Most of the folks here that aren't adjusting thier bios are probably running at slower timmings then they think. Not that this is a problem if computer is running as you want it to but if you are getting crashes and errors go to the BIOS and check your timmings.

Personally, though I switched out to two good sticks and have been problem free I am nevertheless RMAing all 4 sticks (sent in two today) and am getting memory that lives at 2.6V by SPD. Timmings may be a bit more lax but if the MB can see em by default then I can live with it.

The one reason I bought this board was because it was fanless and would fit the fan/heatsink I wanted. I didn't buy this to overclock it. an extra 30-40 for the 32sli would be my board of choice for that.

zambix

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
I had the same problem, but now have another one, perhaps its related?

System w/ all new components:
Asus A8n SLI Preminum
AMD Athalon 64 Venice Core 3200+
Corsair XMS 1Gb (2x512) cmx512-3200c2pt
G-Force 6600GT (PNY) Card

I had the same: no beeps, no display, nothing, but everything would turn on. I was about out of ideas, even when listening to the posts, and decided to put the ram in the A2 and B2 slots (the manual says A1 and B1). Amazingly it booted. I went into the BIOS and changed the timing to 2.5 3 3 6 as it says at:

http://www.corsairmicro.com/corsair/products/specs/cmx512-3200c2.pdf

The BIOS had it at 3 3 3 8

Then the next problem started. I got my hd's hooked up (2 Maxtor 250Gb) and my NEC DVD-RW. I started a WinXP install, Windows only saw the drives at 130 Gb. While looking at the partition options the whole system turned off, no beep, nothing. I restarted, this time it only got half way through the initial loading from the CD and did it again. The time it ran kept getting shorter and shorter. I thought it might be overheating, but I put my finer on the chipset heatpipe and the CPU heat sink and they were warm, but not hot.

I let the system sit... try again, same thing. I haven't built a system in years (had a laptop for a long time until now), but I would think that I would be able to feel it be very hot if its overheating. There's also no post it just turns off.

I had a 350W PSU from AOPEN. I thought that might be the PSU. I took all the drives off and went back the mobo, RAM, and GPU. Still turned off after less than 2 min.

I got a 500W PSU. Same thing as above.

I tried with just one stick of RAM, save as above.

Interestingly enough, I can now boot with the RAM in the A1 and B1 slots with the timing reconfigured.

I go into the BIOS and watch the hardware temperature. The CPU temp cut target temp is default set at 72 C, the recorded temp of the CPU climbs to 63 C and that's when the system shuts off, the MB temp is aroudn 33 C at this point. Could it be heat? I am using the heat sink that came with the CPU (I got the processor in a box). I would think that this should keep it cool enough?

This is reallllly frustrating. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

zambix

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Ok, I'm retarded.... reseated the heatsink a couple times, still killed it. Called Asus Tech Support (very nice, no wait, good service) and they had me scrape off the paste that came on the heatsink (why I didn't think of this I don't know) and poof, runs at a nice 47 C for over 10 min now.

As for the original problem. Here's how I got around it, perhaps it'll help others.

I got mine to post and get into the BIOS by setting my XMS ram in slots A2 and B2 (opposite of what the manual says) changing the timing settings in the BIOS to 2.5 3 3 6 per Corsair's website and then moving them back over to the A1 B1 Slots.

ProHandyman

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
All the complaints here lead to memory issues, and possible power supply issues.

It has been recognized that Asus has made changes that some power supplies are not functioning correctly. Fix: Update to latest BIOS, be it beta or not. Memory issues, especially Corsair: Latest BIOS, post and set memory timings to what manufacturer suggests. Most performance memory requires higher voltages, and thus the problems. Again, this a problem not just isolated to this particular Asus board... whole family has had these issues. Asus says NVidia, NVidia says Asus. Asus says Power Supply company, PS company says Asus. See a pattern?

When flashing your BIOS, clear CMOS first, then flash. remember to "set optimized defaults" on first post.

If your CPU is not supported with your BIOS (I know, hard to check without a post, but many times the ident sticker on BIOS or last PCI slot will list it). Obtain/borrow a supported CPU and flash, or send back (my choice is to just order a second chip with latest BIOS on it). Sometimes you can get into BIOS by holding down your "insert" kek before and during power up. If you post to BIOS setup... immediately set memory timings and voltage to spec.

charlieyv

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
im habing the same problem with my rig, it wont post... i get the "vga test failed" message please refer to my other posts for a better description!

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=178353&highlight=

my computer was working fine till I traveled and I flew it with me... as a baggage, the hdd was loose inside the case when i opened it and when I tried to power up it wuldnt post... and that is where I am stuck right now! I need to get past post!

Devmar

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012

Had the same problem with an asus A8N-SLi Deluxe, it would only post when I put matching ram in slots 1 & 2 which is contrary to what the manual says.

TRENDING THREADS