A8V Deluxe; Chassis Fan Zero RPM

Have an A8V Deluxe in an Antec Case
The ASUS PC Probe indicates that the chassis fan is at zero rpm
although it is turning fairly fast.
Probe shows that the CPU and Power Supply fans are rotating as
expected.
Running "A8V1014.AMI" BIOS ; Cool 'n' Quiet in BIOS are enabled.

Any ideas???

Paul

Splendid

In article <76qvf1ljmkdked2rmpbbm8ra1catuggr04@4ax.com>,
tanque_verde@hotmail.com wrote:

> Have an A8V Deluxe in an Antec Case
> The ASUS PC Probe indicates that the chassis fan is at zero rpm
> although it is turning fairly fast.
> Probe shows that the CPU and Power Supply fans are rotating as
> expected.
> Running "A8V1014.AMI" BIOS ; Cool 'n' Quiet in BIOS are enabled.
>
> Any ideas???

Does the fan have three wires ? I have a bunch of fans here,
with only two wires (+12V and GND) and they don't have a
tachometer output (the third wire). Make sure the fan has the
RPM signal, as that can be a reason it reads zero.

The second thing, is the monitor chip. The BIOS programs it
for a certain range of RPMs. It has a min and a max value.
On one of my computers, the min is 1800RPM, which is much
too high. If a fan goes to 1799RPM, the software reads it
as zero RPM. The RPMs have to stay between the min and
max value, to be readable.

I wish the manual stated for each motherboard, what the
minimum RPM is for the monitor chip. As then I could
tell you what to expect. It is also possible if Cool and
Quiet is enabled, that the fan spins too slow to be
properly monitored.

Paul

Paul wrote:

> In article <76qvf1ljmkdked2rmpbbm8ra1catuggr04@4ax.com>,
> tanque_verde@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>>Have an A8V Deluxe in an Antec Case
>>The ASUS PC Probe indicates that the chassis fan is at zero rpm
>>although it is turning fairly fast.
>>Probe shows that the CPU and Power Supply fans are rotating as
>>expected.
>>Running "A8V1014.AMI" BIOS ; Cool 'n' Quiet in BIOS are enabled.
>>
>>Any ideas???
>
> Does the fan have three wires ? I have a bunch of fans here,
> with only two wires (+12V and GND) and they don't have a
> tachometer output (the third wire). Make sure the fan has the
> RPM signal, as that can be a reason it reads zero.
>
> The second thing, is the monitor chip. The BIOS programs it
> for a certain range of RPMs. It has a min and a max value.
> On one of my computers, the min is 1800RPM, which is much
> too high. If a fan goes to 1799RPM, the software reads it
> as zero RPM. The RPMs have to stay between the min and
> max value, to be readable.
>
> I wish the manual stated for each motherboard, what the
> minimum RPM is for the monitor chip. As then I could
> tell you what to expect. It is also possible if Cool and
> Quiet is enabled, that the fan spins too slow to be
> properly monitored.

My case has 2x120mm fans, and they are always read as too slow, even
when they're near full spped.

Paul,
The Chassis Fan has 4 wires; red/black, +12 & Rtn connected
to the Power Supply yellow /blk connector.
There is also a pair blue/blk wires that are connected to the A8V mobo
"Pwr Fan" connector. The Pwr Fan connector has 3 pins, +12, Rotation
& Rtn. Just thinking that I really should get the fan power from that
connector and not directly from the Power Supply.
I would need to connect both black wires together.

Joe

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 03:12:03 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

>In article <76qvf1ljmkdked2rmpbbm8ra1catuggr04@4ax.com>,
>tanque_verde@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>> Have an A8V Deluxe in an Antec Case
>> The ASUS PC Probe indicates that the chassis fan is at zero rpm
>> although it is turning fairly fast.
>> Probe shows that the CPU and Power Supply fans are rotating as
>> expected.
>> Running "A8V1014.AMI" BIOS ; Cool 'n' Quiet in BIOS are enabled.
>>
>> Any ideas???
>
>Does the fan have three wires ? I have a bunch of fans here,
>with only two wires (+12V and GND) and they don't have a
>tachometer output (the third wire). Make sure the fan has the
>RPM signal, as that can be a reason it reads zero.
>
>The second thing, is the monitor chip. The BIOS programs it
>for a certain range of RPMs. It has a min and a max value.
>On one of my computers, the min is 1800RPM, which is much
>too high. If a fan goes to 1799RPM, the software reads it
>as zero RPM. The RPMs have to stay between the min and
>max value, to be readable.
>
>I wish the manual stated for each motherboard, what the
>minimum RPM is for the monitor chip. As then I could
>tell you what to expect. It is also possible if Cool and
>Quiet is enabled, that the fan spins too slow to be
>properly monitored.
>
> Paul

Paul

Splendid

In article <uoj1g11gqepds44elh76p97155k426oebk@4ax.com>,
tanque_verde@hotmail.com wrote:

> Paul,
> The Chassis Fan has 4 wires; red/black, +12 & Rtn connected
> to the Power Supply yellow /blk connector.
> There is also a pair blue/blk wires that are connected to the A8V mobo
> "Pwr Fan" connector. The Pwr Fan connector has 3 pins, +12, Rotation
> & Rtn. Just thinking that I really should get the fan power from that
> connector and not directly from the Power Supply.
> I would need to connect both black wires together.
>
> Joe

That is a fan equipped with a disk drive power connector, and
a three pin connector that goes to a motherboard header. The two
wires on the three pin connector will be the tachometer signal
and a GND.

By connecting the four pin disk drive connector on the fan,
to your "fan only" power supply connector, the fan gets a reduced
voltage and runs slower than normal. Try plugging the fan
connector into a "real" disk drive connector, which will
run the fan at a full 12 volts. Then, you may get a usable
measurement in the BIOS, or in Asus Probe, for the RPMs.

Paul