A8V-VM SE + SATA = *SLOW* computer?

secondsabre

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2007
Hey guys!

Bought a new computer a while ago, with a 250 GB SATA HD, and realized that I had put *way* too much work onto my other drives to bother with ghosting, so just just physically ported them into the new box (A 16 GB IDE, and a 200 GB IDE)

Upon boot, the new Asus mobo recognizes the IDE's as master and slave, and boots the SATA to drive F, which is just fine with me. Now, the big problem is that whenever my SATA drive is in use, my computer slows down terribly. The mouse moves in small jumps, processing time on anything is *massive*, my CPU usage shoots up to 100%, 98% of which is being used by 'system idle processing'. I first noticed it when attempting to burn an image file from the drive, when the max DVD burn speed it could achieve was below 2.0x, and then also started to attribute other problems to it, like a weird dragging to my music at random times, or super-slowdown in games and movies.

Upon running it through a benchmark, I found that the write/read speed was clocking about 4MB/s, which is ridiculously slow for anything, never mind SATA. I found some stuff online about IDE drives running at 4MB/s, and it being some old setting in Windows, but nothing about SATA.

I'd appreciated any advice or ideas, and I'm more than willing to give any additional info you require.

BelArc reports my HDDs as:
Maxtor 6L200P0 [Hard drive] (203.93 GB) -- drive 2, s/n L407TB6G, rev BAH41G10, SMART Status: Healthy
ST317242A [Hard drive] (17.02 GB) -- drive 1, s/n 7BP01B0L, rev 3.09, SMART Status: Healthy
ST3250824AS [Hard drive] (250.06 GB) -- drive 0

Other than that:
AMD Sempron 3400+ (2.0 GHz)
1.0 GB RAM
Two other IDE devices (DVD burners) hooked up

Arigato,
Kirk Sabre

Mondoman

Splendid
If you didn't do a fresh install of Windows on your new system, you'll need to do at least a "repair install" in order to allow Windows to install the correct Hardware Abstraction Layer files for the different chipset and other hardware on your new MB.
Also, make sure you download and install the latest chipset drivers.

secondsabre

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2007
Please tell me that a repair install won't change/delete/mess up any of the changes I've made to Windows in terms of minor customization (ie, startup, processes, profiles, etc.)