I took the advice of a thread here on these forums about trying to lessen
the load screens on the startup of XP. Knowing just enough to get myself into
trouble I took this person advice.
It entailed going into going into control panel, system, advanced, startup,
and adding SOS to the line after Fastdect . Now when I tried to start my
machine it shutsdown after approximately 10 seconds.
It wont boot up in safe or Bios mode either. Is there anything I can do? Iam
on another of my comps right now, and was planning on reinstalling windows
later this week anyway on the one thats down.
If I cant get it to boot should I just remove the HD and add it to another
machine then reformat it and reinstall it and windows to the original
machine. Thanks in advance.
And to the person whose advice i took, i hope you are finally happy.

Boot with your XP disc, and try to repair it from there

"transient" <transient@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I took the advice of a thread here on these forums about trying to lessen
> the load screens on the startup of XP. Knowing just enough to get myself
> into
> trouble I took this person advice.
> It entailed going into going into control panel, system, advanced,
> startup,
> and adding SOS to the line after Fastdect . Now when I tried to start my
> machine it shutsdown after approximately 10 seconds.
> It wont boot up in safe or Bios mode either. Is there anything I can do?
> Iam
> on another of my comps right now, and was planning on reinstalling windows
> later this week anyway on the one thats down.
> If I cant get it to boot should I just remove the HD and add it to
> another
> machine then reformat it and reinstall it and windows to the original
> machine. Thanks in advance.
> And to the person whose advice i took, i hope you are finally happy.

Boot from your XP disk, start your machine, choose to Repair using Recovery
Console.
Once you log on to recovery console, type: fixboot

"bumtracks" wrote:

> Boot from your XP disk, start your machine, choose to Repair using Recovery
> Console.
> Once you log on to recovery console, type: fixboot
>
> "Pentium" <pent@anycomp.info> wrote in message
> > Boot with your XP disc, and try to repair it from there
> >
> > "transient" <transient@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>I took the advice of a thread here on these forums about trying to lessen
> >> the load screens on the startup of XP. Knowing just enough to get myself
> >> into
> >> trouble I took this person advice.
> >> It entailed going into going into control panel, system, advanced,
> >> startup,
> >> and adding SOS to the line after Fastdect . Now when I tried to start my
> >> machine it shutsdown after approximately 10 seconds.
> >> It wont boot up in safe or Bios mode either. Is there anything I can do?
> >> Iam
> >> on another of my comps right now, and was planning on reinstalling
> >> windows
> >> later this week anyway on the one thats down.
> >> If I cant get it to boot should I just remove the HD and add it to
> >> another
> >> machine then reformat it and reinstall it and windows to the original
> >> machine. Thanks in advance.
> >> And to the person whose advice i took, i hope you are finally happy.

Thanks for the replies first. Well I should have made it more obvious that
my machine will only run for about 10 seconds before it shutsdown. Iam
inclined to just remove the HDs and reformat them on another comp. but if I
cleared the cmos would that do it. It wont even boot up long enough to open
the cd drive drawer. thanks again.

Will the system go to setup (BIOS) without shutting down?
If not, it's hardware failure and you will need to fix that before trying to
do anything with Windows.
Formatting the drive on another machine will NOT solve the problem if it is
motherboard/RAM failure.
If you format and install windows while the drive is in another machine, you
will have to do a repair install after switching it back to this machine
(unless the Motherboard and all periphiels are exactly the same).

--
A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!