AARGH! GPU for my Video editing Hackintosh? GTX 780, 770, 650ti or??

lassebauer

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
AARGH! GPU for my Video Editing Hackintosh? GTX 780, 770, 650ti or something else??

Hey everyone,

Why do I ask?
I´m positively going nuts trying to decide on a GPU for my new Hackintosh setup - I get SO many different views, tests and info that I find it very hard to make an informed decision.
So, I´d like someone with actual, REAL-LIFE experience to help me out.

What will I use my Hackintosh for?
• My main apps will be CS6 - mainly PS and After Effects.
• Logic and Garageband.
• Video editing in both AE (mainly FX) and Final Cut X (mainly editing but I might drop this app completely later).
• Sometimes @1080 but mostly @720 for Youtube.
• Plugins like Element 3D (VideoCoPilot) and ray-tracing (probably incl. Trapcode Particular etc).
• I do NOT game at all (used to be a Q3 Arena addict, so those days are over ;o))

What do I want?
• I want a GPU that makes rendering in After Effects as fast as possible without spending a fafafillion $.
• I want to be able to edit my timeline in AE (and FCPX) and do previews as fast as possible within my budget.
• I want really fast rendering of particles, rays and 3D text (e.g. extrusion)

Let me be clear:
I am NOT interested in buying a $$$$$ GPU to get a 10% increase in performance.
I am not busy (or loaded) enough to want to save 1 minute on a 10 min render.

I just want to make sure, that I get the absolute best bang for my buck, and don´t waste time on an inferior card, nor money on a superfluous one.

What do I want to spend on a GPU?
Appr 600 USD. Less would be very welcome!

Why am I confused?
"CUDA cores, OpenGL, OpenCL, Clock speeds, gHz, mHz, bus, flops etc." :??:
I have somewhat of an idea of what they all do - but at the same time, I haven´t been able to find ANY real-world source that can tell me which card will suit my needs the best.
Some tell me CUDA cores are important. Some say not.
Some claim dual GPUs will rock, some say it makes no difference.
I get the fact that it depends on which EXACT computing process I want to GPU to perform - and I STILL get opposing views when it comes to deciding on a GPU.

What have I looked at?
I have a shortlist of:
• GTX 780
• GTX 780 ti
• GTX 770 2 or 4GB
• GTX 650 ti Boost (The one I have already, perhaps in a dual setup?)

Why not just use my GTX 650 ti Boost?
Im using it in my old Mac Pro 3.1, and I got it because my original 8800 (something or other card with 512 MB vram) committed suicide, and I got tired of baking it.
The 650ti just hasn´t shown me any noticable speed inprovement over the original card.
(Might be the settings or the whole system that slows it down).
At any rate, I´d like something that SMOKES the 650ti, and gives me a SIGNIFICANT speed/performance improvement over that card.

Other cards?
I briefly considered the AMD R9 290X since everyone said it was a beast - until I learned that there are a few issues using it in a Hackintosh (incl. double display trouble) - plus it has a super-noisy fan. 3rd party versions with better cooling are not out yet, and there are no simple Hackintosh workarounds atm.
It has vastly more shaders than even the GTX 780 - but I don´t know if that even gives me any rendering performance advantages in AE using e.g. Element 3D?

My local dealer told me to stick with my 650 ti Boost and "not waste money on a GTX 780".
Others have told me the same.
Others again (mainly on computer boards) claim that the GTX 780 rocks in AE and has improved overall performance in their AE workflow compared to cards like the 580 and 600-series.

I´d like for someone to tell me what WORKS and will give me the BEST POSSIBLE setup for my money (or alternatively a higher GPU budget if that´s what I really need).

Straight Jacket is next step…so PWWEEEEASE help! :ange:

Setup:
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
CPU: Intel i7-4770K
GPU (not installed. Sitting in my old 2008 Mac Pro 3.1): Gainward GTX 650 ti Boost
HDD: 500GB SSD (have one, will get 2-3 total)
RAM: 32 GB (1333 mhz - was told 1600 mhz had an insignificant advantage at a premium price)
(And all of this is purchased and works in the Hackintosh)

rvilkman

Distinguished
Dual setup is not recommended, basically your fastest choice is probably the 780Ti, but also the most expensive.
So any of the 780Ti, 780 or 770 should give you a noticeable improvement in CUDA enhanced things in both CS6 and after effects.

lassebauer

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
Thanks a lot, rVilkman.
I decided to get the GTX 780 for now. So unless someone tells me why this is a bad deal/idea, or I get a GTX 780 ti cheap, it´s gonna get plugged in. Hopefully it´s gonna gimme some bang for the buck :)

gernikakogorka

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014

Hi Lassebauer.
I'm nowadays in the same point that you were on November. Trying to choose a nice GPU for my Hackintosh video editing station.
Does your GTX 780 work??? Does it work with Final CutX on Open CL? No compatibility problems? Wich OS do you use?
Thanks a lot!

lassebauer

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
Hey!
Well, the card itself works perfectly.
BUT!
If you haven´t already heard, there is a problem with the 780, 780ti and Titan cards when using a Hackintosh and AE and Premiere Pro.
I´m not a tech guy, so excuse this layman´s explanation:
Something in these particular cards (I believe it´s a driver or similar) seem to crash OpenCL.
From what I understand it only affects certain cards with a "revision B".
Most 780s and 780tis are "revision B" GPUs. I believe that also goes for the Titan.
In other words: Unless you can get a "revision A" GPU, you will experience crashes and freezes with all apps using OpenCL.

What´s the problem?
E.g. they freeze up programs or even crash the machine whenever a program calls on OpenCL.
My QuickLook and Imageviewer don´t work, since they use OpenCL.
AE and PP crashes on and off.

NVIDIA hasn´t come up with a new driver to remedy this issue, and we don´t know if it will take days or months before that happens. And we don´t even know if an updated driver will solve the issue. It depends on whether NVIDIA even cares about high-end GPU Hackintosh clients or not.

Solutions?

1) get one of these cards and live with the hassle until NVIDIA comes up with a solution.
2) Use a patch developed by MacAndor over at TonyMacs: http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/122777-fix-opencl-crash-gk110b-based-cards.html
It circumvents the OpenCL issues, but (if I get it right) also makes you unable to use OpenCL in any program.
However, it seems to be a good solution while we wait for a longterm one. Be informed, that the patch takes a bit of technical and coding insight.
3) Get a card that´s not affected by this issue: E.g. the GTX 770.

Read more here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/103048-gtx-780-crashes-premiere-pro-cc.html

Hope this helps!
:)

Brano Gege

Reputable
Sep 15, 2014
Can you write us, how you are happy with your new GFX card ? I am in exactly same position like you, and want to verify, you are happy with your setup - is the freezing problem gone ? It got CUDA support in adobe premiere ?