AB350 Gaming 3 + Ryzen 1600x - cant hit 4ghz

Epedizzle

Prominent
Jun 12, 2017
Hi Guys,
Just upgraded over from the blue team to 1600x on the AB350-Gaming 3
I was trying to hit 4ghz stable as i have seen many others.

I'm using the Coolermaster 212 evo cooler (https://www.pccasegear.com/products/37766?gclid=CjwKEAjw9_jJBRCXycSarr3csWcSJABthk07Yg_fq4DBC8H1Dg5_im-zivvhCTkOOiD8BM-v0Ev0LRoCxR7w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds) which i have seen on youtube vids overclocked to 4.1 and have also seen the stock cooler do 4ghz. Would of liked to of gone a 240mm AIO cooler but wasnt available when i made the purchase.

I've tried up to 1.4V and 1.1 SoC and it will still crash to black screen during stress tests aida64/prime 95/Cinebench Etc - after 5-10mins

Firstly i thought we might have temperature issues but according to Gigabyte SIS it was only running around 50ish same with HW moniter then i googled a bit and from what i gather ryzen master is more accurate?? not that i can get that temp to match any of the others lol

Originally it was cooking up to 72ish before crash on ryzen master but i have changed fan profiles as they werent ramping past 60% due to the motherboard reading then re done thermal paste for good measure. Running two 1400mm corsair fans at the front of the case 1 on top and 1 rear exhaust so plenty of cooling.

Since the cooling changes i havent hit 75 but i seem to black screen around 70c
So perhaps my chip just doesnt have it in it?

I've tried 3.9 @ 1.375 - passes all stress tests with good temps but will crash to black screen i guess i could pump that up a bit and shoot for that mark but i really wanted 4ghz :D

Last thing im thinking is my CPU heatsink fouling on the ram, but i have reset it a couple of times and checking the past spread its making full contact. Also stock temps are like 48c on stress tests with stock clocks. The pics look a bit dramatic but ive got it barely touching now. I have also tried with just 2 ram sticks so none touching cooler but that was negligable.

anyhow ill upload a few pics of the setup and what not sorry for the shitty iphone live pics :( http://imgur.com/a/IpeLN

Solution
Not every Ryzen processor is the same, you just gotta get lucky if you want one that overclocks well. You might have just been one of the unlucky ones :/

Try it at 1.45, and if it doesn't ever go past 4GHz, then you'll just have to settle with 3.9 GHz.

Mind the temps tho, Ryzen does give good temps but you could fry your chip nonetheless.

tanckattb

Commendable
Jan 31, 2017
Not every Ryzen processor is the same, you just gotta get lucky if you want one that overclocks well. You might have just been one of the unlucky ones :/

Try it at 1.45, and if it doesn't ever go past 4GHz, then you'll just have to settle with 3.9 GHz.

Mind the temps tho, Ryzen does give good temps but you could fry your chip nonetheless.

Solution