AB9Pro Error Code 7F (POST)

remeron

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2007
HI, i just bought my ab9pro and set it up. Initially i got the checksum error (which apparently is well known) for this mb. Got thru that, then came the 2A POST error. I read that clearing the CMOS helps, so I did, my computer would boot but whenever i change anothing in cmos, the 2A error comes back.

Then I read somewhere that taking out the battery and clearing the CMOS would help. So i took out the batter and cleared CMOS. Right after that now I'm getting a POST error code 7F. The sequence goes to 75 then gets the stuck at 7F with nothing on the monitor screen. It's blank. I tried pressing F1 then the computer boots for a bit and gets stuck at FF. Cleared CMOS again and restarted, and gets stuck at 7F again. The screen won't even post. It's just blank.

What's going on?!?! Please help

my rig
E6300
Abit AB9Pro
Kingston value ram 2x1gb 667Mhz
Evga 8800GTS 640mb
WD 250KS
Cooler Master Real Power 550W

remeron

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2007
No, i can't even see anything on my monitor, hence can't tap 'delete'. When i press the power switch on, then monitor blank remains while the code cycles...2x...4x...5x...75..7F. And get's stuck at 7F all the while the monitor is blank.

prong

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
No, i can't even see anything on my monitor, hence can't tap 'delete'. When i press the power switch on, then monitor blank remains while the code cycles...2x...4x...5x...75..7F. And get's stuck at 7F all the while the monitor is blank.

Reading the ABIT page, the instructions are to RMA the board! My guess is you have corrupted the BIOS. Research the error code a little more and if you don't find a fix, request an RMA on the ABIt site/support.

prong

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
nothing happens when i press del

Did you see this message at the 7F section of the ABIT page?

Checksum ErrorBroken IDE cableLoad BIOS default

You might try a different IDE cable to your DVD drive or at least check the cable you have and be sure you have it installed correctly. What DVD and cable type are you using?

remeron

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2007
i'm using a standard IDE cable and samsung DVDRW, i tried unplugging the IDE connection just leaving my SATA hard drive. it doesn't work.

prong

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
i'm using a standard IDE cable and samsung DVDRW, i tried unplugging the IDE connection just leaving my SATA hard drive. it doesn't work.

Have you tried booting the system with just the RAM and video card? unplug the hard drive(s) and DVD players. Try booting withe the CPU w/HSF, RAM and video card only. Unplug everything else. See if you can get into BIOS and set default this way.

prong

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
tried just ram, proc, vid, still 7F...

Well...according to that ABIT page it says to RMA...so I don't know? When you reset the CMOS jumper, be sure to unplug the PSU (important). Then remove the battery. Set the jumper to default the BIOS for about 15 seconds. Replace the jumper to the proper position and reinstall the battery, then power up. I don't know...maybe the board has a corrupted BIOS?

prong

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
One other thing you could try. If you have a floppy drive, download the correct BIOS from the ABIT website and try and flash the BIOS with a floppy disk. ABIT website will have instructions on how to prepare the Floppy disk with the BIOS file and flash utility.

remeron

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2007
okay, finally figured it out. It's my dang monitor!!! I have a VX2025wm and apparently it has issues with DVI output. If i plug in with D-SUB the motherboard works.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Yeah. It depends on which BIOS you have what the POST codes mean. 7F for Pheonix Award BIOS is POST Code Error, request user input. It has happened to me, generally it is when the boot order is changed.

Your BIOS is likely to be set on Halt on all errors, in which case the video not being displayed caused a halt in the boot and asked for your input.

Good job figuring it out without a monitor. That was kinda wank.

IDK if asus uses Phoenix Award BIOS, but be careful which codes you read.

Here is the one I use

Directly from Phoenix.

remeron

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2007
So far so good. it's my monitor indeed, using the VGA, and it's running okay so far. I was thinking of changing my monitor to the samsung 206bw. Any problems with that one?
By the way, thanks a lot guys for helping me out on this. Couldn't have figured it out without your inputs.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
I personally use the Samsung 204T, precursor and standard aspect ratio to the 206bw and I love it. It hasn't given me a single problem since day 1. I have had it now for just over 2 years. My only complaint is after 2 years there is 1 dead pixel, but on a screen of 1600x1200 I can live with 1 pixel out. As such, I wouldn't expect any problems with the 206bw. Mine is hooked up via DVI to a 7900GTX.

:D

prong

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
The monitor caused me a lot of problems. When I first plugged mine in to two 7800GT's SLI'd it worked on the DVI side no problem. I built a new machine with a 7900GTX and the machine would would not post. I just happened to try the VGA connector side and got it going. I contacted Viewsonic and they sent me a second unit. It would not work on the DVI side out of the box! I immediately called them and returned that unit. Viewsonic sent me a third unit. That one worked on the DVI side out of the box. Then one day I moved the machine around and BAM! the thing wold not work on the DVI side! Forget another RMA. I just plug both the DVI and VGA sides in and run my two 7800GT's. My son uses it to game. I bought a BEN Q 22" and it works fine with my 7900GTX. You should let Viewsonic know about all the problems the monitor caused you. If you RMA that monitor they have no more new ones. One of the RMA's they sent me was descibed by Viewsonic support people as , "a monitor we have around the office here...it works great!" Not kidding!

Viewsonic is really a good product, but the monitor we have definately has a problem running on the DVI side. Amazing story you have about this monitor. The monitor has a better picture than my BENQ 22"!!! I'm not RMAing it again.

prong

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
BTW, Viewsonic has an updated driver for the monitor on their website. It is an unsigned driver, but it makes no difference the monitor still will not run on the DVI side with regularity.

remeron

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2007
I actually RMAed my monitor 4 times before this. It had worse problems that this before. THis problem i can handle with the ole dvi-dsub switcharoo...
Anyway, is anyone here running ab9pro with Vista? I can get all the drivers on the board installed except for 1. Just 1!!! I can't figure what it is for the life of me. I've downloaded all the drivers on the abit website, and it's "Unknown Device" on my device manager....what the heck is it?!?! The only other thing i got on my mobo is video card and wifi card and both installed correctly.

remeron

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2007
Hehe..solved that one too...it's the dang abit uguru....
sigh....why didn't they include that in the drivers....