Abit bh6 motherboard current era videocard options

Archived from groups: alt.comp.mainboards.abit,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

I'm using an NVidia GeForce 3 Ti200 dvi out in my BH6 v1.1 and am interested
in moving to an ATI based card with dvi out, preferably a 9600 XT.

I heard the ATI 9600 XT won't fit or work on the BH6. Can anyone confirm
this before I waste time trying it myself?

I gather that at least some of the ATI-made 'all in wonder' cards will work
in the BH6? Do any of those have dvi out?

Where would the best of those (that would work on the BH6) rank in the
referenced list of current era graphics cards?
http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/vga-charts-03.html

My next choice would be a Matrox card with dvi out, preferably a P650. Is
that card an option for the BH6? What about any other Matrox cards in that
range? I have an MGA 200 with digital out which works.

Unless the ATI based option (all in wonder etc) on the BH6 was quite a bit
faster in games than a Matrox card, which I know will be at the very bottom
of the list in game performance, I'd just as soon go with Matrox and get
better game performance when I move on to a faster cpu/motherboard which
will allow a more modern videocard.

thanks for any comments,

--Don
dabl{at}hotmail{dot}com

Don Lindbergh wrote:
> I'm using an NVidia GeForce 3 Ti200 dvi out in my BH6 v1.1 and am
> interested in moving to an ATI based card with dvi out, preferably a
> 9600 XT.
>
> I heard the ATI 9600 XT won't fit or work on the BH6. Can anyone
> confirm this before I waste time trying it myself?
>
> I gather that at least some of the ATI-made 'all in wonder' cards
> will work in the BH6? Do any of those have dvi out?
>
> Where would the best of those (that would work on the BH6) rank in the
> referenced list of current era graphics cards?
> http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/vga-charts-03.html
>
> My next choice would be a Matrox card with dvi out, preferably a
> P650. Is that card an option for the BH6? What about any other
> Matrox cards in that range? I have an MGA 200 with digital out which
> works.
>
> Unless the ATI based option (all in wonder etc) on the BH6 was quite
> a bit faster in games than a Matrox card, which I know will be at the
> very bottom of the list in game performance, I'd just as soon go with
> Matrox and get better game performance when I move on to a faster
> cpu/motherboard which will allow a more modern videocard.
>
> thanks for any comments,
>
> --Don
> dabl{at}hotmail{dot}com

Archived from groups: alt.comp.mainboards.abit,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

I have a ABit BH6 rev. 1.1 mobo in use right now. I am using a Radeon
7000 AGP card in it and I can't see any reason why you cannot use any
ATi Radeon board that is 2X4X AGP (3.3 volt). You can't use an 4X8X
card in it. Other than that one age limitation, why not?
McG.

Don Lindbergh wrote:
> I'm using an NVidia GeForce 3 Ti200 dvi out in my BH6 v1.1 and am
> interested in moving to an ATI based card with dvi out, preferably a
> 9600 XT.
>
> I heard the ATI 9600 XT won't fit or work on the BH6. Can anyone
> confirm this before I waste time trying it myself?
>
> I gather that at least some of the ATI-made 'all in wonder' cards
> will work in the BH6? Do any of those have dvi out?
>
> Where would the best of those (that would work on the BH6) rank in the
> referenced list of current era graphics cards?
> http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/vga-charts-03.html
>
> My next choice would be a Matrox card with dvi out, preferably a
> P650. Is that card an option for the BH6? What about any other
> Matrox cards in that range? I have an MGA 200 with digital out which
> works.
>
> Unless the ATI based option (all in wonder etc) on the BH6 was quite
> a bit faster in games than a Matrox card, which I know will be at the
> very bottom of the list in game performance, I'd just as soon go with
> Matrox and get better game performance when I move on to a faster
> cpu/motherboard which will allow a more modern videocard.
>
> thanks for any comments,
>
> --Don
> dabl{at}hotmail{dot}com

Archived from groups: alt.comp.mainboards.abit,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

Why not using a Ti4200 video card which works OK in BH6.

BigVoice

> I have a ABit BH6 rev. 1.1 mobo in use right now. I am using a Radeon
> 7000 AGP card in it and I can't see any reason why you cannot use any
> ATi Radeon board that is 2X4X AGP (3.3 volt). You can't use an 4X8X
> card in it. Other than that one age limitation, why not?
> McG.

Right. The question was to confirm the specific model number for the
fastest of the ati based models which would work. The answer (not provided
in this forum) appears to be the 9700 Pro (or 9500).

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

"Don Lindbergh" <nobody@nowhere.net> wrote in message news:UPpuc.1968$gO4.803@fe1.columbus.rr.com...

> > I have a ABit BH6 rev. 1.1 mobo in use right now. I am using a Radeon
> > 7000 AGP card in it and I can't see any reason why you cannot use any
> > ATi Radeon board that is 2X4X AGP (3.3 volt). You can't use an 4X8X
> > card in it. Other than that one age limitation, why not?
> > McG.
>
> Right. The question was to confirm the specific model number for the
> fastest of the ati based models which would work. The answer (not provided
> in this forum) appears to be the 9700 Pro (or 9500).

Yes. Refer to this chart:
http://www.ati.com/support/agpchart/agp.html

Everything past the 9700 doesn't support 3.3v.

Rick

"BigVoice" <intervoice@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Why not using a Ti4200 video card which works OK in BH6.
>
> BigVoice

Right. I'm having a specific problem driving the DVI in of a Dell 2001FP
with that card and have evidence an ATI based card will solve that problem.

"Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Yes. Refer to this chart:
> http://www.ati.com/support/agpchart/agp.html
>
> Everything past the 9700 doesn't support 3.3v.
>
> Rick

Thanks, that's helpful.

Are there any current motherboards you know of on which an ATI based 9700
Pro would *not* work?