ABIT BH6 Win98Se Sound problem

G

Hi all,

I have an ABIT BH6 MOBO with an overclocked PII 266 running at 350 Mhz. In order for it to run stable at this stage I had to disable my L2 cache thus reducing the overall speed but not noticeable.

I have also an AWE 64 and it is pluged into one of my ISA slot. I installed Win98SE and when the SPLASH Screen appears on your first boot in Win98.. you would normally hear the drumming or startup music of Welcome of Windows 98.

I only manage to hear the beginning part of the music and then there is nothing else.

When I try to play .wav files in the Windows/system directory, media player says that no sound card hardware is detected.

I am suspecting it is because I have overclocked my CPU from 66 mhz to 100mhz FSB that is causing the ISA slot to screw up.

Also, I have the latest SS version BIOS update for my BH6.

If there are any answers to my dilemma please let me know as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Mikey

G

Hi

Have a look in Device Manager (keyboard shortcut: <font color=blue>Windows-Break</font color=blue>) and see if there are any exclaimation marks next to anything soundcard-like in the multimedia section. Could be that "Plug & Pray" has tried to give your soundcard a conflicting IRQ/IO address. If so, change the offending setting manually.

HTH

<font color=blue>Moots</font color=blue>

G

Hi people,

Thank you to those who offered an answer and I am glad to say that the problem has been fixed.

Apparently, the problem had to do with the BIOS settings under PNP/PCI. Instead of enabling PNP OS disable it.. The MOBO and 98SE we fighting to see who gets the SOund card workign first. thus a clashed in the IRQ in BIOS and OS.

I hope this will help other in their problem quest.

Sincerely,

Mikey

G

Nonetheless thanks for replying Crashman..

Cheers,

Mikey