ABIT kT7-RAID Cannot Install Windows

G

My system is a ABIT KT7A-RAID, AMD 900MHZ TBird, ASUS V7700 Delux, IBM DESKSTAR 30GB, SDRAM 128 PC-133 (Generic?)

I bought my computer yesterday and brought it home to set it up. Spent 4 hrs trying to figure out why my monitor was not receiving a signal from my videocard, still have not figured out the problem - thought CTRL + ALT + DEL, or the reset button sometimes makes the signal kick in. (I stick in a PCI card - no problem with a video signal)

Anyways, I partition the drive using IBM's disk partition utility and start installing... The first time I installed I was booted out right away, back to dos with a message: Unable to load USER.EXE ... I fiddle and fumble and I make it a little further into the install but I get a lovely GPF window staring back at me.

So I dig into my bag of tricks and I switch the video card with a Voodoo 3 2000 PCI. I get past the user agreement, I choose a custom install, I pickout what software I want, and then *BlINK* right when its about to start copying files it gives me the error:

SUWIN caused a general protection fault in Module KRNL386.EXE at 0001:31D6

Shocked, frusterated and dismayed - after spending 8 hrs in total on the machine, I go to bed. Wake up the next morning, I do some more research on the internet and I try disabling ACPI with the setup /p i switch. using my original video card that I purchased I make it further into the installation than I have ever made it before - but its not enough. I get to the Copy files area and it does the SUWIN problem.

For a total of 11 hours spent, trying different configurations in the BIOS, reading online, and switching cards around.

Currently the only thing in my system is the ram, video card, processor, hard drive, and CD-ROM.

Right now I'm going to take the beast back to the shop and let them work on it.

I've read through all the forums here regarding the kt7-raid, as well as the v7700... and I am stumped. BTW. Intellieye mouse plugged into USB port doesn't respond.. But is this natural with no Dos Drivers loaded for Win98 install.

Feel you have a setting that would work the magic, or a tip regarding something I may not have known about. Please share it... I cannot say I have much faith that the company I bought this computer from is going to have much success.

G

Re: the graphics card problem-
I have found that I barely have to touch my AGP card to cause it to lose contact. I reccomend trying to (gently, oh so gently) wiggle it , and try resetting, or loosening the retaining screw slightly, and letting the card "find" the position it wants to be in. My card, "properly" installed sits at an angle to the AGP slot. Loosened up, it sits where it should.
Good luck with the rest of your problems.

G

What kind of heatsink do you have on your Thunderbird? Is it seated correctly? Are you using a quality heatsink compound? It almost sounds like you are having a heat related problem (Thunderbird heats up and then crashes, etc, etc, etc....)