Abit KT7A-Raid + Floppy problems

G

I can't get my floppy drive to work, which means I can't install the HPT 370 drivers in WIn2K, which means I can't do anything at all with my new system. Any ideas??

The floppy drive light is on... and in fact never goes off, but it never spins or accesses the disk. Grrr... This is my first time putting together a system. I never imagined the #@Q floppy drive would keep me down.

Thanks

Aaron

FUBAR

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
Sound like the floppy cable is put in back to front, try turning the plug around so that pin 1 is at the other end of the socket.

Nethawk

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You might also want to remove it in Control Panel, disconnect it physically, then reboot. Then turn off power and reconnect the cables and it will be detected.

I had the same problem when building my PC - I had an old one which didn't work, removed it and installed the new one, and though WIN98 knew I had a floppy drive, it wouldn't work. By following the procedure above, all is well in Abit land.

Hope this helps.

G

Thanks for the help. It turns out that the cable wasn't backwards... but rather that one side was upside down. All I can say is that it can get really hard to see in there when you've got a ton of cables covering everything up...

Anyway, I still can't get win2K installed. It gives me an error the 2nd time it tries to read from the floppy drive during the initial partitioning. I think this is because ATA100 RAID should be the 1st, 2nd and 3rd bootup device (that's what the manual says) in order to work properly... but you have to put CDROM as the bootup device in order to install win2K... so that causes the the installation to get really confused once it gets its the first partition formatted???

-a