G

I just upgraded my mobo to the Abit SA6 with a Celeron 800. I have 4 128 PC100 DIMMs. When I install all 4 my system only sees 384 instead of the 512. Now I've tested each slot and each DIMM and they all work fine. I'm stumped anyone else have any ideas or know why this is happening?

Thanks!!

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Are you overclocking and are you mixing different RAM brands/type???

<font color=blue>Your mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take affect. Restart Now?[OK]</font color=blue>

G

Not Overclocking yet. I want to once I get everything working. I'm using Simple Technology PC100-322-620 (what the sticker says) Which are 128MB DIMMS. All the chips on the DIMM are NEC.

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
According to your motherboard's manual:

"As the DIMM3 and DIMM4 share the same bank of 4 and 5, please do not install those RAM modules that will occupy two banks into these two slots simultaneously."

This seems to be your problem since the system only detects DIMMS 1-3 and not 4 when you install all your memory, giving you 3 * 128 = 384mb.

<font color=blue>Your mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take affect. Restart Now?[OK]</font color=blue>

G

memory is cheap ...take advantage of it..

***check the jumpers 1st then check em again***

G

Thanks guys I had overlooked that about the board. I thought to hard about it and finally decided to look it up.. I'm hopefully getting me some pc133 256ers's while it's cheap!

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Yeah, I know...it sounds pretty pathetic. Maybe Abit uses it as a marketing scheme, I don't know.