Abit Says Farewell to Motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

seezur

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
It's a real shame to see abit go. I have used abit boards in the past and have been nothing but rock solid stable. 1 NF7-S w/ athlon mobile 2500+ and a AN8-SLI w/ athlon x2 3800+ both overclocked and both boards are still running several years after without issues.

In the end abit took a wrong turn somewhere and went downhill fast and now they just can't compete with the likes of ASUS and Gigabyte. So they got to go.

pug_s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
Sad, Sad, Sad. They revolutionized the motherboard industry by making good, high quality, inexpensive, jumperless, easily overclockable motherboards like the BH6 about 10 years ago. I had that motherboard for about 5 years until it blew. I was so happy that I was able to overclock the cheap Celeron 300a to 450mhz. Wow, that's the heydays.

manifesto

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2008
Three years ago after building systems with ASUS, EPox and Gigabyte boards I decided to give an Abit AV8 3rd Eye a try. They touted solid reliability with Japanese caps and enthusiast features such as mGuru.

It was and still is the worst board I have ever worked with. Returned three times and three times it came back with different problems, either no post, no sound or random crashes. Finally after the fourth return, I received a board that worked... for a year that is. Then it was back to the random crashes I had experienced earlier.
Their return policy for this board was that they wouldn't return my money, they would instead fix the problem as an RMA. Even Newegg refused to get involved and soon after they dropped the AV8 from their product lineup.

I never bought Abit boards again. With such a competitive field as the motherboard market, they could ill afford to put out such bad products.

I for one say good riddance. They won't be missed.

graviongr

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
abit (lower case) was one of the best motherboard manufacturers, imho. After terrible experiences with Asus I went abit. Granted, I haven't bought an Asus board in... 11 years.

But abit boards have always served me well, I really wanted to build an i7 system with an abit board. I still won't buy an Asus board, they may have come a long way, but it also takes a long time to get over a bad product experience. (As evidenced by the poster who says "I for one say good riddance. They won't be missed.")

I'll probably go Biostar. I have a very solid Biostar board right now and I've been pretty pleased with it.

malveaux

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
Weird, what happened to them?

I remember a decade ago scrambling to buy the best Abit boards. They made top notch stuff. Did they piss off the Pope or something?

Cheers,

gsteacy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
[citation][nom]gravionGR[/nom]abit (lower case)[/citation]
Looks like the editors picked up on my "bad" grammar and corrected it ;) I wonder why abit decided to go with a lowercase name. It just looks weird except on the logo.

G

i'm glad they've bidden farewell to motherboards, every abit motherboard i've had was plagued with issues and they have horrible support.

millwright

Distinguished
I think USI buying them was the downfall. Abit was the king of overclocking at one time.
I still run nf7s and my wife has a p4 Abit board, never had a problem with Abit, but haven't bought one since the nf7s. Sad

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]bullzi[/nom]i'm glad they've bidden farewell to motherboards, every abit motherboard i've had was plagued with issues and they have horrible support.[/citation]

You must be the most unlucky person around then. I've never seen an abit board die within the first 3 years of running, and never had to fix any issues with one. In fact I think a friend still runs a rig on an abit board with canterwood.

I guess anything has an end though. All motherboard manufacturers I've come to like, except gigabyte, are now gone. (abit, Soltek & Epox)

Railgun1369

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
I was wondering what happened to their site...

The first board I had from them was the BP6 and needless to say what a great board that was. Other than from me doing something stupid with their boards, I never had any issues with them and the ones I did out of the box, I never had issues with any RMA support.

But, the market is somewhat saturated (relatively speaking) with enthusiast mobo manufacturers. It will nonetheless be sad to see them go.

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
I have 2 abit boards. one for celeron d (ic7) and one for barton 2500+. I have them for 4~ years now. Runing couple of hours every day. Rock solid, stable. I have nothing but words of praise.

Sadly, for my newest build I didnt even consider it. I couldnt find anything but competitoin b/w asus v gigabyte. I opted for asus in the end- point is- 4 years ago, abit was a clear choice, today.. it wasnt even a choice..

shovelman

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008
My first was a BE6 in 99 or 2000.
Since then I've had probably 3 or 4 motherboards and at least one video card by them.

My current (and final) abit board is the AB9 and to be perfectly honest, I bought it for the price, nothing more. (In mid-to-late 2006 for my then-new Core 2 Duo)

The board has been fairly stable but has well-known deficiencies as well as a BIOS that doesn't seem to remember certain settings very well.

I still remember being in an IRC chat session with a top abit sales manager and one of their top (at the time) PCB designers back in 99 or 2000. He was the guy that designed the BE6, BP6 and several other hits. Those were truly the good-ole-days for abit.

At any rate, so-long, abit. Was nice to have you around.

G

Good riddance. I used to love them. I ahd a BX6 2.0 for 7 years and went from PII 333 to P3 1ghz on it. It was awesome and totally stable.

Then I went up to an AS8-V due to the upgrade to USB 2.0 and to keep using an ATI AIW 9800 Pro AGP TV tuner and the resultant pc non-function chaos almost cost me my marriage. Finally, I was forced to by an HP from Best Buy so we'd have a warranty.

I snuck in buying an ASROCK 4Core Dual SATA AGP board for $80 a couple of months and finally, after 3 years of insanity I got my pc back.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
It took you 3 years to get your pc running? Please, even with a very poor effort, you'd have it running after a month at most!
Anyway I haven't tried any of the more recent abit boards, gigabyte just is a tad better at the same price, but those I have tried have all been superb. We've still got a bunch of abit boards running at work (old 2002-2003 models)...

G

What a shame. I got two NF7S V2's when they first came out. One is still running. The other still runs; it's just retired. Never had a problem with either one. Back then, I ran my PC's 24/7.

G

They lost my business with their "exploding" capacitors a couple years back... Some exploded less than a month after warranty.. Some leaked electrolytes during the warranty... Most had "bulging" capacitors after a year or two...

Status
Not open for further replies.