[SOLVED] Abnormal CPU Temperatures and FPS issues.

The PurplePanda

Prominent
Feb 25, 2019
Hello everyone!

I’ve come across something that I would like to get answered. When stress testing my cpu, I get temperatures around 90-100 degrees Celsius. It drops down from 100, but the max temp is still 100 degrees.

I don’t know if this is a bad thing, but something is telling me that this isn’t all that good.

Another thing is that playing games like DOOM Eternal, in very intense situations, my screen flickers black and continues to do so until the ripping and tearing has died down a bit.

Other CPU intensive games are also problems such as FarCry 5 and GTA 5.

I’ve read other forums, telling me about cpu bottlenecking and how it stops your gpu from achieving better graphical performance when the cpu cannot handle it. If there is anything that I can do to stop this cpu bottleneck if it even is that then please, answer away.

As for the high temperatures, I have no clue. Please, if you can, could you tell me why this is happening and if this is normal, and if it isn’t normal, how would I fix it?

Specs:

GIGABYTE G1 GTX 1080

16GB RAM

Intel i7 7700 (non overclockable)

Cooler master AIO Liquid CPU Cooler

Asus prime z270-p motherboard

700watt PSU

Solution
Correct. 100C is way to hot. I do my best to keep my CPU below 70C. That way I know it's not thermal throttling. That's where the CPU clocks down to a slower speed until the temps drop. When this happens it can't send data fast enough and your frame rates stutter. Either your pump is dead, or the block is not on correctly.

RedMugs

Commendable
Apr 8, 2017
Sounds like you need to reseat your cooler. How much thermal paste are you using?

Do note if you remove your cooler you must reapply the thermal paste.

4745454b

Titan
Correct. 100C is way to hot. I do my best to keep my CPU below 70C. That way I know it's not thermal throttling. That's where the CPU clocks down to a slower speed until the temps drop. When this happens it can't send data fast enough and your frame rates stutter. Either your pump is dead, or the block is not on correctly.

Solution

The PurplePanda

Prominent
Feb 25, 2019
Also, I haven't cleaned the radiator for the AIO in a while, could the issue be due to this?

The PurplePanda

Prominent
Feb 25, 2019
Ok, I found the problem. My previous CPU Cooler was dead and I just didn't realise it. I replaced the CPU Cooler and I'm getting temperatures 50 Degrees and below. There are no more fps issues and I'm getting normal behaviour. Thanks for all your help!