Question Abnormal (?) drive noise on Seagate Barracuda Pro 1tb in my laptop

Mar 11, 2021
Hi, I've recently had to stop a relatively large (15Gb) download. Because of this, I've had to hard-boot my laptop (Lenovo Legion Y530) a couple of times. Now, my HDD (+optane) is making a weird noise, something akin to a soft rattling and occasional very light scrape. Now, I've searched forums and I can soundly say that my drive is not making extremely loud grinding, beeping, or rattling noise. These soft noises did occasionally happen before I had to reboot, but now they seem to be happening more often. I've also noticed abnormal behavior in my laptop since then, such as a full "desktop not responding" issue, where I cannot click anything on my desktop. TL: DR, Drive is making interesting but not alarming noises and I've been having abnormal system behavior.

NOTE
: I have not done a virus scan as of yet, but I'll add to this question the results of such scan after it is done.

NOTE 2: The drive sounds like a malfunctioning fan, but not nearly as loud and obnoxious.

Also, sorry about the other thread, I accidentally posted this issue twice.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2021
I would be replacing the hard drive because....

"but now they seem to be happening more often. "

This to me indicates something is changing and not for the better.

I think your desktop issue may or may not be related.
Yeah, I should probably do that. How would I go about transferring the data between the current and replacement drives?

If not....I think what you would do is...using cloning software....create an image of your drive on an external drive.

Then power down....remove your drive....install the new drive....and with the cloning software.....create a bootable USB stick.....which will allow you to transfer the data in the image file on the external drive to the new drive.

There may be another way...but this is the way I am seeing.

Mar 11, 2021
If not....I think what you would do is...using cloning software....create an image of your drive on an external drive.

Then power down....remove your drive....install the new drive....and with the cloning software.....create a bootable USB stick.....which will allow you to transfer the data in the image file on the external drive to the new drive.

There may be another way...but this is the way I am seeing.
Got it. I don't think I am able to connect more than one SATA device to my laptop, but I didn't look into that very thoroughly last time I opened it up. If I can't use multiple SATA devices, I'll use an external drive. Thanks a million for the help dude!

Got it. I don't think I am able to connect more than one SATA device to my laptop, but I didn't look into that very thoroughly last time I opened it up. If I can't use multiple SATA devices, I'll use an external drive. Thanks a million for the help dude!
You're welcome.
If you CAN connect two...this is what you do.
Power down....connect the second drive.
Power up.....it should boot to your normal drive.
Install the cloning software. You can do this before adding the drive as well....it's up to you.
Clone your boot drive to the other drive.
Power down.
Remove old drive.
Power up.
Go to BIOS and make sure the new ...only remaining drive....is at the top of the boot order.
Save the BIOS and exit.,,,and that should be it.

Mar 11, 2021
You're welcome.
If you CAN connect two...this is what you do.
Power down....connect the second drive.
Power up.....it should boot to your normal drive.
Install the cloning software. You can do this before adding the drive as well....it's up to you.
Clone your boot drive to the other drive.
Power down.
Remove old drive.
Power up.
Go to BIOS and make sure the new ...only remaining drive....is at the top of the boot order.
Save the BIOS and exit.,,,and that should be it.
I finally got an audio capture of the noise. Please note that this was taken very close to the laptop, and it is not nearly this loud in reality. This could also be a struggling fan. Here’s the recording: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1JqtKwYRqF_gUIOeS7UAUn5dmjHOj3SYP?usp=sharing

TRENDING THREADS