Question Abnormal monitor detection issue?

Jan 8, 2021
This JUST happened about 20 minuets ago

I was playing Cyberpunk and in the middle of clicking on an item, my monitors stopped detecting my GPU.
When I checked the lights were off, so I turned it off and turned it back on and nothing.
Then I took the graphics card out of the slot and plugged it back in and it worked as normal for about 5-ish minutes but the fans weren't spinning then monitors stopped detecting GPU again.

I have NO idea what happened or why it happened. The lights are on and the fans are spinning but the gpu isn't being detected in the devices or in MSI afterburner

(I would try to plug it into the other slot but the card is so thick for the case that I can't)
Please help :(

MOBO// ASUS Z370 Gaming Plus
GPU// MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 2080
PSU// Corsair CX 850
CPU// Intel Core i7 8700k

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the PSU in your build? You might want to see what BIOS version you're currently on got your motherboard. Check and see what OS version you're on as well if you're on Windows 10. Pardon the intrusion but I hope you powered down the system and while the system was disconnected from the wall, you then proceeded to remove the GPU from the system? If so, that's good practice. I've already responded to some horror threads whereby user removed cables before powering down system.

Yes troubleshooting systems does make you expect the worst case scenario.

Jan 8, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the PSU in your build? You might want to see what BIOS version you're currently on got your motherboard. Check and see what OS version you're on as well if you're on Windows 10. Pardon the intrusion but I hope you powered down the system and while the system was disconnected from the wall, you then proceeded to remove the GPU from the system? If so, that's good practice. I've already responded to some horror threads whereby user removed cables before powering down system.

Yes troubleshooting systems does make you expect the worst case scenario.

The PSU is a little over a year old, I got it the same time as the GPU. I definitely made sure to Unplug and turn off the computer before I unplugged it. And Windows is up to date I just checked it right now. However Im not sure about the BIOS (also thanks for the welcome!)