Question Abnormal temperatures when idle ~65 degrees celsius in BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 27, 2020
Hello,

This is my first time posting on this website - I hope I am not breaking any rules.

Build-up:
Since I got my new processor (i9-9900K) I've been a bit worried since it didn't perform quite as good as I expected it to: fps ranging from 40-50 in most games. I decided to check if the temperature was the issue so I downloaded HWmonitor. Sure enough, the temperatures exceeded 90 degrees celsius at almost zero CPU utilization. I could simply not figure out what was causing this, since I have a good cooler (Noctua NH-U9B SE2). Finally, I decided to disable turbo boost on my Z390 Intel motherboard and it did actually help significantly (temp down to 45 celsius while idle prior to 50 idle). However, temperatures would still go up at the slightest stress (~85-90 degrees).

Finally I got an epiphany. I noticed that the fans on my CPU cooler was reverted. I fixed that and lo and behold- 65 degrees max at cinebench WITH turbo boost enabled!
The happiness lasted for about 10 minutes...

Now comes the problem...
Now the idle temperature wont go down below 65 degrees EVEN in BIOS! When I open apps such as steam it shoots off to 100 degrees! I can't help but think something has gone seriously, horribly wrong. Maybe some of you can shed some light on this? Can it be that I applied some stress onto the cooler when reattaching the fans? Surely that slight pressure couldn't damage the CPU too much?

Specs:
Intel i9-9900K @ 3.6 GHz
Noctua NH-U9B SE2
RTX 2070

Please help me... I am worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.