[SOLVED] Abnormal "Total Host Writes/Reads" on a 7 month old SSD

• Thread starter Deleted member 2720853
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2720853

I got a new gaming PC last year in August. It is brand new, and so are all the components.

However when I try to look at the S.M.A.R.T. data for my SSD in CrystalDiskInfo/Speccy, it always reports the following:

EP5rNK5.png

Rfu4yM2.png

Is this normal? Is it just reading the S.M.A.R.T. data incorrectly or is something wrong with my SSD? I'm pretty sure I didn't write 1.3 PETABYTES to it in just 7 months.

I kept checking the Write value and it increased 600 GB in just 2 hours!

I don't stream movies, I don't have Instant Replay enabled in Shadowplay, I only record ocassionally, and all of my processes have barely any disk usage at all times. What's going on here?

In case of the posibility that this is normal and this is kind of a noob question, I'm sorry. My best PC was a Pentium 4 up until August of last year, so I'm just being careful with this thousand euro PC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Can you check the Life Remaining with the Sandisk SSD Dashboard utility?

Also check for a firmware update? IIRC, some drives misreported those stats in SMART or Sandisk is using those for other things.

Ok Found it and I remembered partially right, This Thread shows the issue and the reason why as well as how to get the real read & write numbers. Yes your x400 uses a Marvell controller.
D

Deleted member 2720853

It's normal and your drives is healthy.

Well that's surely a relief, but can you please provide a more detailed explanation as to why this is normal? I'm still kinda curious how I managed to write 1.3 PB during this drive's lifetime. I've been looking everywhere for an answer to this, but all I found was "Yeah your drives are good" and I was skeptical.

popatim

Titan

Also check for a firmware update? IIRC, some drives misreported those stats in SMART or Sandisk is using those for other things.

Ok Found it and I remembered partially right, This Thread shows the issue and the reason why as well as how to get the real read & write numbers. Yes your x400 uses a Marvell controller.

Solution
D

Deleted member 2720853

Life Remaining is 98%. Firmware is apparently up to date.

gCr04Pd.png

And thank you for telling me about the Marvell controller, that explains a LOT. I guess those numbers arent gigabytes, just how many times my SSD has been written to/read. Thanks a lot.