[SOLVED] Abnormally High CPU Temps (Any Solutions?)

Dec 7, 2021
Hello everyone,

Recently built my computer around six months ago, and I haven't had any issues with it. Everything has worked perfectly and run smoothly—or so I think, up until now.

Here are my specs:
-i9-10850k
-Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite AX
-G.Skill TridentZ (2x16) DDR4 3200
-Gigabyte 2080 Super Windforce OC
-Rosewill PHOTON Series 850W (80 Plus Gold)
-MSI Mag Series Coreliquid 360R
-Cooler Master MasterBox MB520 ARGB ATX Tower

Idle temps at 40-43° C for context + room temperature is about 18-20° C,

Now for the problem(s):
Recently I have found that my CPU cooler has been ramping up during idle or near idle use for apparently no reason. I would then open task manager to see what my CPU usage was, but then it goes back down to the 1-3% that the system normally uses and the cooler slows down. I continued checking this out and found that during these times my CPU temps climb from anywhere from 60° C to 100° C—depending on how long I left it before opening task manager.

I thought this might have been some sort of crypto virus, and l tried looking for (igfxupdate.exe) and my (conhost.exe)s were normal and not malicious. So, I don't know what the problem could be. Windows 10 is also fully up to date.

I then also noticed that if my CPU usage goes to 100% my CPU temp will go from idle (40-43° C) to (95° C-100° C) in about five to ten seconds. My CPU clock speed then decreases from 4800Mhz to 4000-4200Mhz, which impacts my performance fairly significantly.

I then ran Cinebench R23 and my CPU scored 13125 points under multicore, which from my understanding is over 3500 points less than what your i9 10850k should achieve. The frequency also dropped to 4000-4200Mhz and the temps were between 95°C and 100°C.

So far, I have tried updating everything and replaced the thermal paste on the cooler to no avail. I also took off all of my case panels to see if airflow was an issue for the case and I found it wasn't and had no effect. I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions to what my problem could be, and what I might need to do to fix it.

Thanks,
Sparky

Solution
Hello everyone,

Recently built my computer around six months ago, and I haven't had any issues with it. Everything has worked perfectly and run smoothly—or so I think, up until now.

Here are my specs:
-i9-10850k

Now for the problem(s):
Recently I have found that my CPU cooler has been ramping up during idle or near idle use for apparently no reason. I would then open task manager to see what my CPU usage was, but then it goes...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hello everyone,

Here are my specs:
-i9-10850k

Now for the problem(s):
Recently I have found that my CPU cooler has been ramping up during idle or near idle use for apparently no reason. I would then open task manager to see what my CPU usage was, but then it goes back down to the 1-3% that the system normally uses and the cooler slows down. I continued checking this out and found that during these times my CPU temps climb from anywhere from 60° C to 100° C—depending on how long I left it before opening task manager.

I thought this might have been some sort of crypto virus, and l tried looking for (igfxupdate.exe) and my (conhost.exe)s were normal and not malicious. So, I don't know what the problem could be. Windows 10 is also fully up to date.

I then also noticed that if my CPU usage goes to 100% my CPU temp will go from idle (40-43° C) to (95° C-100° C) in about five to ten seconds. My CPU clock speed then decreases from 4800Mhz to 4000-4200Mhz, which impacts my performance fairly significantly.

I then ran Cinebench R23 and my CPU scored 13125 points under multicore, which from my understanding is over 3500 points less than what your i9 10850k should achieve. The frequency also dropped to 4000-4200Mhz and the temps were between 95°C and 100°C.

So far, I have tried updating everything and replaced the thermal paste on the cooler to no avail. I also took off all of my case panels to see if airflow was an issue for the case and I found it wasn't and had no effect. I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions to what my problem could be, and what I might need to do to fix it.

Thanks,
Sparky
Either the cooler is not mounted properly or the pump is going out.
Been a lot of post on here using that cooler with the same problem.

Solution
Dec 7, 2021
Also, the CPU is not overclocked
Did you take a look for any unusual processes in Task Manager while the temp was high?

Ditto any unusual disk activity?
I have tried, but everytime I open task manager everything "goes back to normal." I even looked through details to try and find something suspicious and found nothing. I think my best bet would be to factory reset my computer tomorrow and see if that solves anything with the random spiking and usage. Though, I recon that won't solve my overall problem. And based on another reply, I'm guessing that issue has to due with the pump on the cooler going. Thank you though!

Dec 7, 2021
Either the cooler is not mounted properly or the pump is going out.
Been a lot of post on here using that cooler with the same problem.
I remounted the cooler when I replaced the thermal paste, and as far as I can tell it's flat. I might get in contact with the retailer to see if I can get a replacement, or just outright buy another cooler. Thank you!