Question Abnormally high CPU Temps?

urmomxd1234

Prominent
Mar 24, 2018
I recently upgraded my CPU to a Ryzen 5 2600x, and noticed that my idle temps are higher than usual compared to my old CPU (AMD FX-8320)

On that CPU I'd get idle temps from 35-45 Celsius, whereas now I'm ranging from 40-60 while idle. My cooler is a CoolerMaster ML120L AIO, and the ambient temperature in my room is around 70 Fahrenheit. Temperatures under load don't seem too abnormally high, but still higher than before.

Here's a video reproducing the issue:
View: https://youtu.be/l20uNlw2hN4

May 10, 2019
I think ryzen switches so fast that the sensors r kinda slow on it. Yes ryzen idles a bit higher but it seems to be normal. The sensors always pick up this quick peak from 38-48 very unrealistic peaks, i wonder if its the boost at work although I'm oced myself... Idle around 40 is not bad anyway and ur fx is way less powerful too. Watch the temps if ur voltages are normal to not exceed amounts like 75-80 at full use (something like a heavy cpu bench) cause thats not a good thing imo.

I recently upgraded my CPU to a Ryzen 5 2600x, and noticed that my idle temps are higher than usual compared to my old CPU (AMD FX-8320)

On that CPU I'd get idle temps from 35-45 Celsius, whereas now I'm ranging from 40-60 while idle. My cooler is a CoolerMaster ML120L AIO, and the ambient temperature in my room is around 70 Fahrenheit. Temperatures under load don't seem too abnormally high, but still higher than before.

Here's a video reproducing the issue:
View: https://youtu.be/l20uNlw2hN4
Use HW Info and look at CPU (Tdie) temperatures. "X" models show 2 temperatures one of which is 10c higher and is used internally by XFR to keep performance in sync with temperatures any many programs don't take that into account but Tdi is one you have to keep your eyes on.
At idle, 10c above room temperature is quite normal.
In Windows, use AMD Ryzen Balanced power plan and lower minimum CPU to about 5% to get lowest frequency at true idle state.