Abnormally High Temps on GPU?

hi2011090536

Reputable
Nov 6, 2017
Due to a super poorly made indie game, (for some odd reason in which i'm here) my current GPU (ASUS Matrix Radeon HD 5870 Platinum) was spiking to abnormal temperatures, as in 98 Degrees Celcius (Which translates to 208 Degrees Farenheight!) It was not an average temp, just rode 98 for about 8-12 seconds and proceeded to average around 80+. I don't know if that card is one that can handle higher temps as easily due to it being about 10 years old, but any help or opinions would be appreciated, Thanks!

Solution
Clean the dust from the GPU and replace the thermal paste, you also may want to create a custom fan curve via MSI Afterburner or a similar program.
It seems high. Is the inside of the case warm? If so...run with the side of the case off and see if that helps and if it does increase your case ventilation or run with the side off...or perhaps that card just runs hot because the specs say it requires 300 watts, and as you said, it's old.

hi2011090536

Reputable
Nov 6, 2017

Case at a generally cool feeling, my regular temp from other games in around 60-75. And the weirdest part was i had pinkish Color so it wasn't under much Load and i had easily 120+ FPS.

If it's the kind of game that you don't need such high frame rates from, you might also try limiting your fps, such as by enabling v-sync if you have a 60Hz screen, which will effectively cap the frame rate to the 60fps that your monitor refreshes at. That should significantly reduce load on the GPU, and thus the heat generated.