[SOLVED] About 10900k and 2080 super

May 4, 2020
Hi guys i have 10900k and 2080super 650W Antec EA650G-Pro 80Plus Gold Modular PSU is enough?
And if not the same question about 750 antec ea750 pro gold
And im not planning to oc soon

Solution
On the 12v rail the system would use ~550 watts, maybe more depending how the cpu+gpu is used. Most other components are on the 5v or 3.3v rail and as such don't matter unles calculating total power usage. Some scummy companies will combine the minor rails with the 12v rail to advertise a 600w psu, when in actuality it was a 400w with 200w on minor rails, i'm sure thats not the case here. Regardless, a load of 550w on the 12v rail for a 650w psu is a bit tight, this psu is noisy at high loads and running the psu at higher loads will in general introduce possible stability issues in regards to 12v ripple. Overall, go for a 750w.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
It's "enough", but on the knifes edge. 750 is perferable.
i9 10900k is ~220-240W CPU, plus ~250-300W for that GPU and some 50-100W extra for other components. 650W PSU would be enough if OP doesn't plan to OC, and even if they do but this is exclusively gaming PC - it's still enough as power draw in games would be way lower.
Speaking of Antec EAG Pro, it's decent PSU per se, but it has a sleeve bearing fan, it's good only if it costs maybe 10$ more than smth like Corsair CX, bq! Pure Power 11, Antec Neo Eco Zen Gold.

Reactions: mctrader07
i9 10900k is ~220-240W CPU, plus ~250-300W for that GPU and some 50-100W extra for other components. 650W PSU would be enough if OP doesn't plan to OC, and even if they do but this is exclusively gaming PC - it's still enough as power draw in games would be way lower.
Speaking of Antec EAG Pro, it's decent PSU per se, but it has a sleeve bearing fan, it's good only if it costs maybe 10$ more than smth like Corsair CX, bq! Pure Power 11, Antec Neo Eco Zen Gold.
a machine that can use up to 640 watts (with your calculation that is)
should not have a 650 watt power supply.
700 is a minimum, and i would personally put a 750.

On the 12v rail the system would use ~550 watts, maybe more depending how the cpu+gpu is used. Most other components are on the 5v or 3.3v rail and as such don't matter unles calculating total power usage. Some scummy companies will combine the minor rails with the 12v rail to advertise a 600w psu, when in actuality it was a 400w with 200w on minor rails, i'm sure thats not the case here. Regardless, a load of 550w on the 12v rail for a 650w psu is a bit tight, this psu is noisy at high loads and running the psu at higher loads will in general introduce possible stability issues in regards to 12v ripple. Overall, go for a 750w.

Reactions: mctrader07
Solution

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
a machine that can use up to 640 watts (with your calculation that is)
should not have a 650 watt power supply.
700 is a minimum, and i would personally put a 750.
Why ? Because good PSUs aren't rated for full continuous power output at 40-50°C ambient ? Oh, wait, they are ... why then ? And that not to mention that high-end PSUs are overbuild at least for 25-30%, hence OPP trips in this range, although it's mostly to accomodate for GPUs with high transient load spikes, it's obviously not recommended to overload a PSU, even high-end one. Running a PSU at 100% load assuming it's rated for continuous power is how it's supposed be used as. Most PSUs would be loud at 70%+ load tho but not all and either way, it's not 'on knife's edge', as in it's going to fail or explode, it's just loud.

Reactions: Rogue Leader
Why ? Because good PSUs aren't rated for full continuous power output at 40-50°C ambient ? Oh, wait, they are ... why then ? And that not to mention that high-end PSUs are overbuild at least for 25-30%, hence OPP trips in this range, although it's mostly to accomodate for GPUs with high transient load spikes, it's obviously not recommended to overload a PSU, even high-end one. Running a PSU at 100% load assuming it's rated for continuous power is how it's supposed be used as. Most PSUs would be loud at 70%+ load tho but not all and either way, it's not 'on knife's edge', as in it's going to fail or explode, it's just loud.
What i meant by knife's edge, is not knife's edge of stability, is knife's edge of what that psu can handle.

Its best practice to have atleast 50 watts more than your machine would need.