Question About building portable SSD

satimis_06

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
I'm prepared to build a portable SSD, USB3.2 connection. The SSD is for sharing data between PCs only

SSD
Samsung 2TB 980 PRO NVME M.2 PCIE 4.0 SSD (MZ-V8P2T0BW)

What enclosure I have to purchase. Please advise. Thanks

Regards

I'm prepared to build a portable SSD, USB3.2 connection. The SSD is for sharing data between PCs only

SSD

Regards
Some reading.

satimis_06

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Hi all,

I think I can use portable "Sabrent USB 3.2 Type-C Tool-Free Enclosure for M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD"

I'm prepared building a new PC using ASUS PRIME X570-P motherboard. It provides 2 x USB3.2 Gen2 (up to 10Gbps) ports. (Sorry I don't know how to upload the screenshot captured on its User's Manual)

To my running PCs (there are 2) I can add "USB3.2 GEN2x2 PCIe Expansion Card" to use the portable "Sabrent USB 3.2 Type-C Tool-Free Enclosure for M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD".

Comment is welcome. Thanks

Regards

SSD

Regards
I use this with a Samsung 970 Evo:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07K4TZQ7D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There's a cheaper USB C one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-Ty...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

I only did this because I had the drive spare. Is there a reason you want to do this, the USB interface will limit the performance benefit. It would be cheaper to just buy a ready made portable SSD like the Samsung T7.

satimis_06

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
- snip -
Why is this data not simply shared over the LAN?
I have only ONE 32" 4K display shared amongst 3 PCs. I only start ONE pc each time. Besides I need to save all data on the portable SSD.

Why I'm interesting on testing portable NVMe pcie gen 4.0 SSD. ? Should it fails I still can use it on the new PC. I need 2 NVMe pcie gen 4.0 SSDs, one for running Ubuntu 20.04 desktop and another for Windows 11.

Regards

USAFRet

Titan
I have only ONE 32" 4K display shared amongst 3 PCs. I only start ONE pc each time. Besides I need to save all data on the portable SSD.

Why I'm interesting on testing portable NVMe pcie gen 4.0 SSD. ? Should it fails I still can use it on the new PC. I need 2 NVMe pcie gen 4.0 SSDs, one for running Ubuntu 20.04 desktop and another for Windows 11.

Regards
Will it work?
Yes.

Will a good quality PCIe 4.0 drive be hampered by the USB interface?
Also yes.

satimis_06

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Hi,

Thanks for your advice.

Also I'm targeting at "Sabrent USB 3.2 Type-C Tool-Free Enclosure for M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD".

I like to hear more about "USB interface will limit the performance benefit". Thanks

I need 2TB storage on the portable SSD. The price of Samsung Portable SSD T5 2TB is not chip.

Regards

USAFRet

Titan
I like to hear more about "USB interface will limit the performance benefit". Thanks
980 Pro:
Read speed of 7,000 megabytes/sec
56,000 megabits/sec

USB 3.2 Gen2x2
20,000 megabits/sec
2,500megabytes/sec

So at best, you get about 1/3 the actual performance of the 980 Pro.

That is, of course, under ideal conditions with the right dataset.

Unless you can buy a 980 Pro at near the same price as a Gen 3 SSD, or evena SATA III drive...you're simpoly spending money for no benefit.

Data throughput is dependent on the slowest device in the chain.
Here, the USB interface.

logainofhades

Titan
I bought this, so I could clone my windows install, for my laptop. It seemed to work well. I wouldn't get a 980 pro though, as others have stated, it would be a waste. A budget gen 3 drive will suffice. Something like the new Crucial P3.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MNFH1PX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You could go sata drives, but in the 2tb realm, something like a Samsung 870 or crucial MX500 isn't going to be much different in price.

Hi,

Thanks for your advice.

Also I'm targeting at "Sabrent USB 3.2 Type-C Tool-Free Enclosure for M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD".

I need 2TB storage on the portable SSD. The price of Samsung Portable SSD T5 2TB is not chip.

Regards
So that enclosure is USB 3.2 Gen 2, that has a maximum bandwidth of 10 Gbps (1.25 GB/s). The max sequential read speed of the Samsung 980 Pro is 7 GB/s and max sequential write is 5.1 GB/s. Not everything you do though is sequential reads and writes so it's not the only metric of a drives performance that matters. However in that particular case USB's bandwidth will fall well short of the drives capabilities.

If you already have the drive then that's different, however if you were planning to buy one I would opt for a cheaper SSD because your unlikely to get any benefit from such a premium drive using it externally.

I use external SSD's all the time to transfer things between computers, it's still pretty fast but not like transferring between drives within a PC.

satimis_06

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Yes, you could do that.

Time required depends on your internet connection speed.
Sorry, No, it can't work for me.

What I'm prepared to do is converting all old hard-copy photos to digital photos, adding graphic and text on all photos, creating digital albums and digital slideshows etc. There are >1,000 hard-copy photos. I need a portable SSD transferring them between PCs because of the file size.

USAFRet

Titan
Sorry, No, it can't work for me.

What I'm prepared to do is converting all old hard-copy photos to digital photos, adding graphic and text on all photos, creating digital albums etc. There are >1,000 hard-copy photos. I need a portable SSD transferring them between PCs because of the file size.
Then why did you ask if the online transfer would work?

Fine.
Then any solid state drive of sufficient size.

My original and continuing comment was regarding the 980 Pro.
In a proper environment, it is "faster".
Via USB, it is not.

Don't waste money on an uber fast drive that is limited by the whole rest of the interface, primarily the USB.

But, in the time since you first asked this question, I could have transferred 1,000 photos to my NAS, and then out to 3 different systems.

USAFRet

Titan
As a test just now, I copied 1,649 photos from my main PC to my NAS.
21.9GB, both jpg and RAW.

1TB SATA III SSD on the main system, 16TB HDD on the NAS.
Standard gigabit LAN.
Total time, approx 7 minutes.

Substitute "NAS" for "other PC".