Question About flashing the BIOS for Gigabyte A520I AC

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022
If you go to the web page for the Gigabyte A520I AC motherboard, it clearly says that it supports the AMD Ryzen 5600G APU and so I recently purchased both. However numerous YT vids are saying that the BIOS for the Gigabyte A520I AC will have to be flashed to be able to use the 5600G. Is this the case, or will the system run without flashing the BIOS?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Q-Flash Plus Update BIOS without Installing the CPU, Memory and Graphics Card

you can flash the bios without anything other than the PSU attached.
Your board has a USB slot for Q Flash+ marked D on page 10 of manual - https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...e_1301.pdf?v=3c466c453890cdef5f4d9c303cab6d40

As per https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/A520I-AC-rev-1x#kf
so don't worry about it :)

F13 added support for that CPU, it depends what BIOS board comes with as to if its supported. You can flash it to top anyway to be sure
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/A520I-AC-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios

Last edited:

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022
Right, so I must definitely flash the bios, thank you for the helpful pointers. Anyway, so I insert a USB drive containing the bios update file into the port marked 'd' and then press the 'e' button?
How will I know what bios version my Gigabyte A520I AC comes with if I just have the PSU connected to it?

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Right, so I must definitely flash the bios, thank you for the helpful pointers. Anyway, so I insert a USB drive containing the bios update file into the port marked 'd' and then press the 'e' button?

Yes

after reading your manual
Q flash button:
Q-Flash Plus allows you to update the BIOS when your system is off (S5 shutdown state). Save the latest BIOS on a USB thumb drive and plug it into the Q-Flash Plus port, and then you can now flash the BIOS automatically by simply pressing the Q-Flash Plus button. The QFLED will flash when the BIOS matching and flashing activities start and will stop flashing when the main BIOS flashing is complete.

How will I know what bios version my Gigabyte A520I AC comes with if I just have the PSU connected to it?

I would put latest BIOS on a USB and flash that, even if board has the latest now, it lets you flash it over top. Its how you can fix corrupted bios, just flash over top.

Last edited:

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022
Yes

after reading your manual

I would put latest BIOS on a USB and flash that, even if board has the latest now, it lets you flash it over top. Its how you can fix corrupted bios, just flash over top.
Ok, many thanks again. So the latest going by the list of version options, is F13? If I put that on a USB that should be ok? Right now I'm waiting for the PSU to arrive which should be very soon, then I can go ahead with it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You might want to check on file name

According to instructions for mine:

A. Before you use Q-Flash Plus, follow the steps below in sequence:
  1. From GIGABYTE's website, download the latest compressed BIOS update file that matches your motherboard model.
  2. Uncompress the downloaded BIOS file, save it to your USB flash drive, and rename it to GIGABYTE.bin. Note: The USB flash drive must use the FAT32/16 file system.
  3. Insert the USB flash drive into the white USB port on the back panel.
  4. Connect the power cables to the 12V power connector (connect either one if there are two) and main power connector
https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...atures.pdf?v=fbcc1712de6386973f9deb10ece761cf

I don't see anything in your manual for it. Often the bios on the non X boards have the same bios, just less features, so it might be the same. I can't tell.
According to video I showed, you do rename it, so I expect its the same across all Gigabyte boards

Last edited:
Reactions: ptTimeBldr

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022
You might want to check on file name

According to instructions for mine:

A. Before you use Q-Flash Plus, follow the steps below in sequence:
  1. From GIGABYTE's website, download the latest compressed BIOS update file that matches your motherboard model.
  2. Uncompress the downloaded BIOS file, save it to your USB flash drive, and rename it to GIGABYTE.bin. Note: The USB flash drive must use the FAT32/16 file system.
  3. Insert the USB flash drive into the white USB port on the back panel.
  4. Connect the power cables to the 12V power connector (connect either one if there are two) and main power connector
https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...atures.pdf?v=fbcc1712de6386973f9deb10ece761cf

I don't see anything in your manual for it. Often the bios on the non X boards have the same bios, just less features, so it might be the same. I can't tell.
According to video I showed, you do rename it, so I expect its the same across all Gigabyte boards
Thanks again for helping, I find your answers tally with Gigabyte's manual - very clear and easy to understand. Now just waiting on the PSU. Then I'll go ahead and do it, then give a mini update.

I'm also now very mindful that the flash drive must be USB 2.0 and not 3.0 and that it be 16gb or less and formatted to FAT32 and that extensions must be enabled.

Last edited:

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022
Just a mini update on this... I've been talking to Gigabyte and they say that if the BIOS is v.13 then I don't need to flash or update the BIOS. Now the label on the box mentions AMD AM4 A520/rev.1.3, so I'm wondering if rev.1.3 means v.13? Does this mean the same thing?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Website doesn't show any revisions.
On some boards they release a new version but yours only has one.
still shows as rev 1.x
So its possible that rev 1.3 on the box does mean 13. It would make sense in the context. there is normally something on box/board that shows bios so that could be it.
I can't find anything to confirm it.

You could ask Gigabyte since you talking to them.

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022
Website doesn't show any revisions.
On some boards they release a new version but yours only has one.
still shows as rev 1.x
So its possible that rev 1.3 on the box does mean 13. It would make sense in the context. there is normally something on box/board that shows bios so that could be it.
I can't find anything to confirm it.

You could ask Gigabyte since you talking to them.
Thanks again. Yes, I was also thinking that it would make sense, but it's still not certain. Would help a lot if Gigabyte clearly stated on the box which version. I have o.c asked them for this, but they said I would have to turn the system on to find this, but I explained the system wasn't built yet.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its a chicken egg thing
need to have CPU installed to see screen in BIOS, so have to hope they right and you have the right bios
kind of circular

I expect its probably fine to boot into bios at that stage. Even if CPU isn't fully compatible with bios installed.

its why using Q Flash plus and putting latest on before you even put CPU in removes this doubt.

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022
Its a chicken egg thing
need to have CPU installed to see screen in BIOS, so have to hope they right and you have the right bios
kind of circular

I expect its probably fine to boot into bios at that stage. Even if CPU isn't fully compatible with bios installed.

its why using Q Flash plus and putting latest on before you even put CPU in removes this doubt.
Thanks again for sticking with this... Someone from their RMA section said that the similarity between rev.1.3 and v.13 was just coincidence, so they asked me to submit the serial number, which I did. I was then told that there was no need to flash or update the BIOS. So I can continue with the build as normal, which is a weight off my mind ;)
In truth I didn't really want to do it, even though I did update a BIOS once before many years ago with an up-and running system - I've never had to update the BIOS for a new build before.
So I suppose that's case solved then. :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
I had to flash the bios on my motherboard to install the CPU I have. So it can happen, I have helped lots of people here who had to do it. It is why I just showed how to use the flash process and didn't ask if you were sure you needed to do it.

So it would have worked but you have no way of knowing without asking or just trying.

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022
I had to flash the bios on my motherboard to install the CPU I have. So it can happen, I have helped lots of people here who had to do it. It is why I just showed how to use the flash process and didn't ask if you were sure you needed to do it.

So it would have worked but you have no way of knowing without asking or just trying.
I'm now sure it does happen, seeing as motherboard manufacturers are for some reason releasing the same one's with different BIOS versions. I had no idea though how to flash-update a BIOS just with a PSU and nothing else, so what you've told me is really worth knowing.

Colif

Win 11 Master
its a motherboard refresh, they trying to help by having latest bios on the board as they don't know how long they might sit on sale for. Shame they didn't think to show installed bios version anywhere on board/case.

Q Flash + is really handy as it beats buying a spare CPU just to put into a MB to flash it.

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022
its a motherboard refresh, they trying to help by having latest bios on the board as they don't know how long they might sit on sale for. Shame they didn't think to show installed bios version anywhere on board/case.

Q Flash + is really handy as it beats buying a spare CPU just to put into a MB to flash it.
Yeah, it would be helpful if they stated the version on the box, or the board somewhere. It would also greatly (slightly off-topic here) help if they mentioned that not all supported APUs/CPUs come with fan units that will fit into ITX m'boards.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't know anything about ITX, How aren't the fans supported? Height or how the heatsink attachs to boards? I would think Intel & AMD get that right since they make the CPU. 3rd party Heatsink/fan units would be more questionable.

It might be a matter of demand. Right now most people still buy ATX. So the demand for a listing on fans on the Motherboard website isn't really there.

Guess they could add it here - https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/A520I-AC-rev-1x/support#support-doc

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022
I don't know anything about ITX, How aren't the fans supported? Height or how the heatsink attachs to boards? I would think Intel & AMD get that right since they make the CPU. 3rd party Heatsink/fan units would be more questionable.

It might be a matter of demand. Right now most people still buy ATX. So the demand for a listing on fans on the Motherboard website isn't really there.

Guess they could add it here - https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/A520I-AC-rev-1x/support#support-doc
Well this is my first ITX build, I've only done mATX in the past. Problem I've found is that the fan for the Ryzen 5600G won't fit because the memory modules and another part of the board simply prevent this; there's no way of seating the screw-threads into the holes on the board.

Colif

Win 11 Master
So I wonder what cooling Gigabyte used to test CPU as its on https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/A520I-AC-rev-1x/support#support-cpu so how did they cool it?

You have a point if the CPU fan won't fit and they don't warn you anywhere.

You could complain to their Support team or post about it on the UK forums since they closed their US Support forums - https://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php
It could be a lot of people use 3rd party heatsinks in them?

I know you have another thread about buliding PC, is this being talked about there?

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022
So I wonder what cooling Gigabyte used to test CPU as its on https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/A520I-AC-rev-1x/support#support-cpu so how did they cool it?

You have a point if the CPU fan won't fit and they don't warn you anywhere.

You could complain to their Support team or post about it on the UK forums since they closed their US Support forums - https://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php
It could be a lot of people use 3rd party heatsinks in them?

I know you have another thread about buliding PC, is this being talked about there?
I can only guess that Gigabyte used a heatsink/fan unit with a smaller footprint/diameter fan. As to people using 3rd party heatsinks/fans, they must be, at least for the Ryzen 5600G as there's no way the stock cooler fits on that m'board.

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022
I would take that up with them.
I assume it can only really go on one way and you aren't putting it on in a wrong orientation

Its not really the sort of hidden pitfall you want to encounter building a PC.
I've since contacted AMD and Gigabyte about this, but frankly I'm getting nowhere with them. There's only two possible ways that the heatsink can go into the motherboard, but neither works because the memory modules and another part of the motherboard prevents me from inserting the screw threads into the mounting holes.
I could try and find lower-profile modules, but then what do I do with the current one's? Money down the drain.

Colif

Win 11 Master
So i thought, check PcPartpicker and see what it says about combo

MPI5rQM.jpg

they mention bios but they haven't checked the clearances

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022
So i thought, check PcPartpicker and see what it says about combo

MPI5rQM.jpg

they mention bios but they haven't checked the clearances
Thank you, I had a good look at PcPartpicker which gave me some ideas as to what to do . In the end I decided to go for this cooler/fan for socket AM4 processors. It will definitely fit the motherboard and has a fairly decent spec.