punkncat

Dignified
Ambassador
A buddy of mine purchased an old Toshiba Satellite from me. I cannot recall the specifics of the model, but it has the i5 450m, 8GB of RAM and a Sandisk SSD and is on Windows 10 up to the 20xx update currently.. It uses the "previous generation" Intel HD graphics.

He purchased GTA SA from somewhere like GameStop where it was a zipped download. It unzipped and installed with no issue, will open the game and resolves the graphics in an acceptable way. He also purchased a USB plug style "X box" clone controller. In Windows I can verify that all the controls of the game pad are working properly.

There is (apparently) a standing issue with the game being able to look around. The character can move, jump, squat, all such as that but moving a mouse or the right stick does not change the view. I have followed quite a few troubleshooting tips related to this issue and cannot seem to make it work. Among those were to change affinity in order to only allow two cores, re-install the drivers, re-install the game.
I checked the specs and the CPU is well beyond requirements. I note that minimum on the GPU is GeForce 3, which the integrated graphics are better than, from what I can tell. I have attempted to run and install the game using compatibility settings for XP as the game requirements state it needs to run on 2K or XP, however I do see a lot of videos and posts that the game runs fine on 10, which this computer has.

I note that Steam offers this game and also has a fix patch available. This individual does not have internet and the DRM on Steam would cause it to stop working. I am at a loss as to what to try and follow up on. As you may be aware, GameStop offers ZERO support after purchase and in particular on titles this old...I think he paid all of $3, so no big loss either way.
Of note, something about the installer causes the WiFi to turn off and be unable to manually turn it back on. I have corrected that issue through an update and it seems not to have that effect any longer.

I know it's a long shot, given all the things I have attempted, tried, videos watched....any tips?

try contacting Rockstar directly.
even if they might state they don't currently support the game anymore you may get some advice or links to hotfixes.

game was released for Windows 7 though so it may just be incompatible with current DX or Windows 10 in general.
check some file sharing sites for user created fixes?

Reactions: punkncat

punkncat

Dignified
Ambassador
try contacting Rockstar directly.
even if they might state they don't currently support the game anymore you may get some advice or links to hotfixes.

game was released for Windows 7 though so it may just be incompatible with current DX or Windows 10 in general.
check some file sharing sites for user created fixes?
Thanks for the reply.

It is a well documented issue and seems to be one of those either you do or don't have it. Loads of "how to fix" videos and website advice, none of which have worked on this laptop. Even Steam has what they call a "silent fix" but this game wasn't purchased through them.
My go to response was 'well the laptop was never designed for games' and where that is technically true this game is old enough and low enough on requirements that it should work. It loads, it displays...and yet. I have no particular vested interest aside from just seeing if I could help so if it goes far enough for phone calls against the $3 purchase price I will let the owner go after that, lol.

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
shaykhasad1122 PC Gaming 5

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS