[SOLVED] About max PCIE Lane support

kasun-2

Reputable
May 30, 2016
Hello
My mobo is dh55tc which has one x16 pcie port. Two x1 pcie ports and one pci port. I have installed a gigabyte 750 oc 1gb graphic card on x16 port. Mobo specification says it support max PCIE 16 lanes. What does it means? Does my graphic card use all 16 lanes? I want to add pcie x1 sata 3 card. Will it affect my graphics card performance??
Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
Short answer, no.

Long answer, the CPU provides lanes to the graphics slot(s). The chipset supplies lanes to the rest of the slots (typically). The chipset has dedicated bandwidth to the CPU. All devices connected to the chipset share that bandwidth, but most devices use very little, like audio.

Also, your GPU doesn't need anywhere near that much bandwidth, so it is fine even if you were to take lanes away from it.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Short answer, no.

Long answer, the CPU provides lanes to the graphics slot(s). The chipset supplies lanes to the rest of the slots (typically). The chipset has dedicated bandwidth to the CPU. All devices connected to the chipset share that bandwidth, but most devices use very little, like audio.

Also, your GPU doesn't need anywhere near that much bandwidth, so it is fine even if you were to take lanes away from it.

Reactions: kasun-2
Solution