About Molex to PCIe cable

flyingatm

Commendable
May 1, 2016
Hello and sorry for my bad English...

My psu is Aerocool 500W 80Plus 12V-456W SINGLE RAIL psu and this have 4+4 pcie for cpu and 1x 6pin pcie for GPU.

But im gonna buy a gtx 660 ti

And this GPU is need 6+6 pin power.

There is a 2 option for this cables.

1) 1x molex to 6 pin PCIe (molex using 3 pin)
2) 2x molex to 6pin PCIe (2x molex using 3pin@6pin)

which one is better and stable?

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

neither, that power supply is terrible using adapters is asking to loose your whole system

get a proper power supply with the cables you need

flyingatm

Commendable
May 1, 2016

Im okay with that u guys r right.And im gonna buy a new psu.

But i didnt understand whats the point of this cables? What they are doing than?

Do you mean the molex cables on your power supply, or the adapters?

The molex cables on your power supply are intended for fans, LED lighting, old HDDs, and other things like that. All stuff that only draws a small amount of power. A graphics card draws a lot more power through the PCIe power connector, and that can end up overloading the power supply.

As for the adapters, they can sometimes be useful on higher quality power supplies, when there is a lack of PCIe power connectors, but generally it is not advised to use them since there's generally a reason the power supply doesn't have the extra PCIe power connectors in the first place.

flyingatm

Commendable
May 1, 2016

I was asking for the adapters :)

Well...It was sad to hear.I was use a power calculator and For the athlon II X4 860k 8gbram and for the 660ti it was needing 330W on 12V channel...So my psu was 456W on 12V channel.I said its okay but...

So if use this cable

$_35.JPG

my system can destroy right?

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

fatal error

you are assuming it can actually deliver what it says

aerocool power supplies cannot deliver what they claim, they are garbage

TRENDING THREADS