About PCIe connectors..

nico.k

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018
Does it make a major difference if both of my 8-pin PCIe connectors come from the same cable? Or would it be better to get a PSU with 2 seperate cables?

It's a silver rated beQuiet 400W and both of the connectors say "VGA1"

Card is Zotac 1070 AMP! Extreme btw

Solution
the problem is that GPU will just cross 200w, the CPU is just under 100w max. Then you have the rest of the system hdd will draw 15w tops, motherboard and ram another 30-40w (depends how many USB devices you have connected as well). You're getting close to your PSUs max. You're not there, but depending on the age of the PSU I'd question its ability to sustain this power output gaming long term. All PSU manufacturers suggest separate cables for your PCIe. You're lucky in that its a good quality PSU, but I wouldn't be surprised if it failed on you sooner than later.

If you do the upgrades planned you REALLY need to replace it. The new CX 550M (grey label) is a decent quality unit. If you can find a Seasonic Focus 550 its the...

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

You definitely want to use separate cables if your PSU has them.

That is a good PSU and will likely run a 1070 in most systems but you're really pushing the limit of it. Depending on your CPU you have 0 headroom for overclocking, and some even stock will be tight.

Whats your system specs?

nico.k

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018
Other PC specs:

I7 4770k non-OC
12GB DDR3 Ram 1660mhz
1 SSD
1 HDD
no casefans

problem is this PSU only has 1 PCIe cable but with 2x 6+2 connectors

Also im planning to upgrade comes september to 8600k/8700k (haven't made up my mind about that one yet) + 16GB DDR4 + probably another SSD

Or what would you guys say about the CX550?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
the problem is that GPU will just cross 200w, the CPU is just under 100w max. Then you have the rest of the system hdd will draw 15w tops, motherboard and ram another 30-40w (depends how many USB devices you have connected as well). You're getting close to your PSUs max. You're not there, but depending on the age of the PSU I'd question its ability to sustain this power output gaming long term. All PSU manufacturers suggest separate cables for your PCIe. You're lucky in that its a good quality PSU, but I wouldn't be surprised if it failed on you sooner than later.

If you do the upgrades planned you REALLY need to replace it. The new CX 550M (grey label) is a decent quality unit. If you can find a Seasonic Focus 550 its the best in its price range in that size.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS