About Philips LCD Monitor 170B2T...

neokao

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2002
Hi, there,
I plan to buy this 17 inch LCD.
However I could not find any review or spec about it.
Could somebody share that?

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Mmm, the Eizo, for several reasons. First it's got a better response time (30ms vs 40ms), viewing angle for eizo is 170º vs 160º for phillips, and eizo is a good brand.

What if you had admin rights to life?

neokao

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2002
Now it is getting more difficult to make a decision.Office depot has a 15% off which lower the price for Philips 170B2T to $660(including tax).The L565 would be $770 in total.The difference is $110 now. Though I can afford it, my question is : Does EIZO L565 worth the $110 difference?

jayeff

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2002
The Philips monitor is reviewed elsewhere on this site along with some others (Sexy 17" LCD Monitors). It got second place. I'm quite relieved about that as I bought mine yesterday and I'm using it now. Though I was supposed to be getting the B2M that goes to portrait mode and my supplier screwed up!LCD takes a little getting used to and I need a pretty all round LCD as I game, do graphic stuff and DTP too. I'm a little pissed off with having to bob up and down more then I expected to and that it isn't quite as crisp as I would like playing Half Life so I might well go for a 500:1, 170degree and 30ms screen instead of the one I was meant to get, if there's any that don't cost too much more. (Out of curiosity - is it really worth it though, is the difference *that* noticeable??)

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
IMO, it is noticeable, and half life is one of dem games where it really is (a game like AVP2 wasn't that bad actually). For dvd's, the lower the response time the better (the crisper the picture, etc). Up to u in the end, but to me, $100 justifies a lower response time, as I will notice it.

What if you had admin rights to life?

jayeff

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2002
$100 (about £70 where I'm sitting) isn't so much for something that's going to be an essential part of my life for at least 3-5 years. I agree with you on that, just wondered how big that jump in performance really amounted to. It isn't the money factor so much as the time waiting, the hassle in hunting the right model and ultimately, availabilty. I don't even know if you can get Eizo in the UK, first time I heard the name was in this thread. There doesn't seem to be that much in the price range of 17" screens I can afford that is better then the Philips. Any others pople can recommend if I can't get Eizo, I'd like to be able to give my supplier a few names to play with?

jayeff

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2002
As in this model I assume: Samsung Syncmaster 171MP.
I found (after much time spent looking into it) that the Solarism LM1711 and Hercules Prophetview 920 all fit the profile too. As well as the Eizo Flexscan L565 that started this conversation. Below that everything else pretty much sucks (in comparison) by my understanding, other than the Phillips 170B2M I'm probably going for as it seems to be the only high rated one that also pivots!
I'm just a little concerned about the low score it got on this site for trailing and game performance (2 out of 5). It didn't seem *that* bad, which means the 3/5 upwards models must absolutely kick ass! I need the pivot feature though so I guess I'll have to make do.

Jay

TRENDING THREADS