[SOLVED] About PSU testers

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I have never used a specialized tester for checking a PSU. I typically read the side panel info, check pinout and use a meter. I was looking at a couple of inexpensive options and it appears that they are really doing the exact same thing I am already doing with my meter.

Do any of the units designed for testing offer a setting in which it will apply a load to the supply?

Solution
Do any of the units designed for testing offer a setting in which it will apply a load to the supply?

Yes, there are testing equipment that puts the load on PSU, else-ways, there is no way to test the PSU.

If you haven't read it yet, then i suggest that you read how Toms Hardware (Aris) tests the PSUs + all the info that goes with it,
link: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/how-we-test-psu,4042.html

Btw, proper PSU testing equipment costs a lot of money but also provides a lot of customization, fine tuning and very accurate results, compared to the cheapo PSU testers.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

Yes, there are testing equipment that puts the load on PSU, else-ways, there is no way to test the PSU.

If you haven't read it yet, then i suggest that you read how Toms Hardware (Aris) tests the PSUs + all the info that goes with it,
link: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/how-we-test-psu,4042.html

Btw, proper PSU testing equipment costs a lot of money but also provides a lot of customization, fine tuning and very accurate results, compared to the cheapo PSU testers.

Solution

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Out of all PC hardware, PSU testing is the most complex one and also requires the biggest investment in testing equipment, let alone the know-how how to properly test the PSU. That's why GamersNexus took several years, before they started testing and reviewing PSUs. And even then, they educated themselves, by learing knowledge from industry experts, one of whom just replied above this reply.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I know my way around a meter pretty well due to my professional background. Since none of the cheap/simple testers have a load test, I really don't need a pretty little screen to show me things I already know how to find out. The magic smoke is an excellent indicator as well. ;)

Thanks for the replies.