About RAM Voltages

mpse94

Reputable
Dec 10, 2015
So I'm looking up getting an office PC for my dad, and on the intel website it mentions using RAM operating at 1.35v
http://ark.intel.com/products/90729/Intel-Core-i3-6100-Processor-3M-Cache-3_70-GHz

I keep finding DDR4 memory at 2133Mhz but find that it runs at 1.2v rather than 1.35v.

I then tried looking at DDR3L RAM only to notice than the motherboards I was looking at were incompatible (according to crucial's website) with the DDR3Ls.

I just want to know if having RAM at 1.2v when the CPU says 1.35v will be ok? My dad won't be overclocking or anything, just the usual office stuff like emails word documents and cheeky bouts of youtube.

Solution
The ram voltages specified on Intel's page are their absolute limits/maximums so as to avoid damage to their processors IMC. Since the advent of the first gen Core I processors Intel managed to squeeze in the memory controller onto the CPU die thus the integrated memory controller(IMC). Intel states that the IMC can suffer from damage if exposed to voltages higher than 1.35v.

There will be no issues running 1.2v rams on a system built around an i3-6100.
:)

Mind sharing your dad's intended office build?

Lutfij

Titan
The ram voltages specified on Intel's page are their absolute limits/maximums so as to avoid damage to their processors IMC. Since the advent of the first gen Core I processors Intel managed to squeeze in the memory controller onto the CPU die thus the integrated memory controller(IMC). Intel states that the IMC can suffer from damage if exposed to voltages higher than 1.35v.

There will be no issues running 1.2v rams on a system built around an i3-6100.
:)

Mind sharing your dad's intended office build?

Solution

mpse94

Reputable
Dec 10, 2015

Hi Lutfij,

Cheers for your response, Unfortunately I've already gone and built the pc. No problems with the crucial 1.2v DDR4 RAM as far as I am aware. Had issues with windows update for Windows 7 SP1 (Got stuck on checking for updates, even left it running for 4 hours and it kept going!), but I think I've solved that now. Had to download updates via WSUSoffline which was a pain, but at least now it is finding updates.

In case you just want to check that there will be no issues I'll list the build below:

CPU: Intel i3-6100
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H - LGA 1151
HDD: WD Blue 1TB
PSU: Corsair VS-350
RAM: Crucial CT2K4G4DFS8213 - 2 x 4GB DDR4, 1.2V running at 2133Mhz
DVD: LiteOn IHas124-14 24x SATA internal DVDRW

Cheers for your help!

mpse94

Reputable
Dec 10, 2015

Thanks for your response, I was building a new rig from scratch, please see my reply to Lutfij for the PC specs.

Cheers!

Lutfij

Titan
Thank you for responding with the necessary system's specs + You're welcome! I work off of Windows 7 and the main issue with updates is that once you hit SP1 and then ask the OS to try an update, the system can take anywhere between 4 hours or about a week to finally get to the screen showing how many more updates are pending (it's happened to me and a whole lot of clients I deal with).

Nice minimal build though I'm not liking the Corsair PSU and you missed the chassis :)

I must ask though, did my post really serve as the solution or did you click on the select Best Solution button by accident?

mpse94

Reputable
Dec 10, 2015

The Corsair PSU does the job and was affordable enough for what I was building, not going to be putting anything power hungry in there anytime soon I don't think.

Case is a Bitfenix Neos in Black, would not recommend his case, the sides don't go back on very well at all!!!

Put your answer down as best solution because I just wanted to know what the 1.35v Operating voltage meant on the CPU, I was worried it had to be at 1.35v exactly in order to work with CPU, but you said that its a maximum figure and that means 1.2v should be fine. So unless someone else comes along with a better answer, yeah I picked yours as best solution.