Question About scaling/arrangement of open windows and browser

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I apologize as I am not really 100% sure what to call what I am asking about so bear with me. I use one screen due to (physical) desk space and set each of my open windows/tabs/apps where I can utilize the (screen) desktop space to see multiple windows and be able to type info elsewhere.

In W10 you could, for instance, open file explorer and size it and place it where you want it on the desktop. You could further open additional windows and set them the way you want. So the first file explorer would open "in the corner" (if you set it that way) and any subsequent windows would then open where you placed them in order. If the first window was still open each subsequent additional window would then open in that other place, and the third and so on.
I have a specific arrangement that I want the second and third file explorer to open. I have to be able to see an invoice number which is within another browser tab. Each time I open the first file explorer window it is always opening where I have set it to do so. The second and third repeatedly do not. The second window will open to the top left and at the scaling/size I desire, but will not stay dropped down a small amount from the top of the screen. Third (and so on) windows all open in that same spot.
This same type of thing is happening with a couple of apps that we utilize where I normally have them set at half screen to one side. In W10 if I closed it, it would open the same exact way as it was when closed. Now, each time I open the app it's doing small size screen center. Hitting the "restore where you were" button in the app does nothing. It will not remember my preference.

I hope you understand what I am asking about that but read on there is more.

OK- DISREGARD THIS PART below as I found a 'work around' that I can live with that eliminates the 'group page" thing

In Chrome I have the browser set to open four tabs. It used to be three, but one of the items I was opening in an app stopped support for the app. Anyway, I found that if I pull the tab out and over it would resize the way I want and according to the order I pull them would arrange the tab info/icon in a specific order when I hover over the Chrome shortcut on the taskbar.
This 'mostly' still works but have come across an issue where I have to place two tabs within the same window. When I do so the 'preview' is still there when I hover on the shortcut but there is also an additional window that says 'groups' or some such. If I try to close that, it closes the tabs I just resized. The "groups" preview will always open the last tab I placed aside the other tab in the half screen. I do not want to see the "groups" preview at all but don't know how to eliminate it.
Just like with 10 I have to consolidate all those resized and tabbed windows back into one main browser window before I close or it will only open the last one on (re) launch in spite of having the settings as "use a specific set of pages".

I know it seems like a small thing but each step I can save over the multiple back and forth I have to do all day is a time (and sanity) saver. Am I crazy, doing something wrong, or is there a way to make this happen?

edited for clarity

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have a specific arrangement that I want the second and third file explorer to open. I have to be able to see an invoice number which is within another browser tab. Each time I open the first file explorer window it is always opening where I have set it to do so. The second and third repeatedly do not. The second window will open to the top left and at the scaling/size I desire, but will not stay dropped down a small amount from the top of the screen. Third (and so on) windows all open in that same spot.

This same type of thing is happening with a couple of apps that we utilize where I normally have them set at half screen to one side. In W10 if I closed it, it would open the same exact way as it was when closed. Now, each time I open the app it's doing small size screen center. Hitting the "restore where you were" button in the app does nothing. It will not remember my preference.

sounds like they changed the desktop too much

I am surprised stardock don't have something for this - https://www.stardock.com/products/odnt/

it seems win 11 big trick is it can remember app positions on multiple screens, perhaps that overrides this old feature - https://winaero.com/windows-11-enable-or-disable-remember-window-locations/

possibly a bug - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...t/c9de400a-207f-4781-9347-3c3274b12a29?auth=1

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
The first link I really don't know what to think of.

I checked the second and the "remember windows position" is checked which leads to....

The third link is another user basically having the exact issue I describe. If I close an app that is 'half screen' and re-open it, it will be minimized dead center of the screen no matter what. First File Explorer typically opens in the corner as I want, but the second one alternates based on whatever cosmic thing this is. I am going to book mark that third link and try some of that this weekend when I won't be interrupting work flow.

Thank you for those.

Colif

Win 11 Master
My first was just a link to their desktop replacement. I am surprised it doesn't do that but at same time, I guess it has added new features not in windows, and positioning worked until 11 came along.
It didn't really help.

Its possible it will be fixed in an update but Microsoft never tell you what they fix in them. So how would you know?