About skylake processors

rivas

Reputable
Jun 1, 2015
Hi

Will skylake processors support from windows 7 forever because I don't like Windows 10 environment at all and I will never use it again.

If skylake processors don't support from windows 7 then I should use socket 1150 like i3-4170

How much is the difference between i3-4170 and i3-6100.

Is it possible that this is a kind of trick by Microsoft

Solution
Agreed, like Ecky said win7 won't be supported that long. Jan 14th 2020 is the end of support date. Mainstream support has already ended meaning if an application doesn't run well on win7 due to a problem with the operating system being old or out of date don't expect any functionality fixes. Beyond end of life for a product MS continues to provide security only patches to help prevent people becoming victims of exploits in the older OS. That's what will continue to 2020.

The question of 'can' you, that's a different matter. Just like you 'can' run a pc without a firewall or antivirus. It's not recommended at all, but there's a difference between 'should' and 'could'. You potentially 'could' but 'shouldn't'. Skylake will run on...
Skylake works with win7, kaby lake isn't officially supported. Whether microsoft sticks with win10 indefinitely with updates or comes out with a new product, at some point win7 will become obsolete. There's little chance of running win7 "forever" just because tech, software, platforms continue to move forward. Eventually it means older os's won't have the necessary security or support for various hardware or even software such as browsers.

It will reach a point where websites begin using a newer version of flash or html6 or 7 (or some other future designation) that flat isn't supported by an older browser and only supported by current browsers (in the future) which have software support the older versions don't. Eventually sites like youtube or others may not work at all with older software limited by older os's and hardware.

Some may consider it a 'trick' by MS though eventually things move forward and a line has to be drawn somewhere. Where to cut off legacy (old) support and make room for the current and future tech. Legacy support can hold back innovation and/or cause conflicts or bloat an operating system. I've not tried personally but imagine there would be a real issue trying to load windows 7 onto something old like an intel 8086 cpu. It doesn't mean MS is pulling some kind of 'trick', it means the 8086 is old and it would be too difficult trying to support every piece of hardware under the sun.

As much as I like win7 the fact is it's nearly 8yrs old. In the tech industry that's a long time and you can only patch things so much before it makes sense to just build something new from the ground up so it's leaner, more efficient and current. For the same reason people use chrome or firefox instead of netscape 3.0.

In Tech, we have to learn to adapt to new things all the time. Can't live in the past. Learn to adapt to Win10, ultimately it will be better and you won't have any choice if you want to keep up with things.

I also agree with not using old tech just to use Win 7.

rivas

Reputable
Jun 1, 2015

Thanks

I want to buy the following pieces only for windows 7

Gigabyte B150-HD3P
Intel Skylake Core i3-6100 or i5-6500
Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 2400MHz

Will skylake processors support from windows 7(all editions) at least four to five years.

No - because Microsoft isn't going to support 7 for that long. It's already a decade old and Microsoft is only giving 7 two and a half more years of security patches and updates. It already doesn't support Directx12, which may be a requirement for some future games and is already necessary for visuals in some existing games.

If you intentionally buy older/slower hardware for an OS that's being discontinued and already lacks features needed by modern software, don't expect a happy ending.

Agreed, like Ecky said win7 won't be supported that long. Jan 14th 2020 is the end of support date. Mainstream support has already ended meaning if an application doesn't run well on win7 due to a problem with the operating system being old or out of date don't expect any functionality fixes. Beyond end of life for a product MS continues to provide security only patches to help prevent people becoming victims of exploits in the older OS. That's what will continue to 2020.

The question of 'can' you, that's a different matter. Just like you 'can' run a pc without a firewall or antivirus. It's not recommended at all, but there's a difference between 'should' and 'could'. You potentially 'could' but 'shouldn't'. Skylake will run on windows7 yes but will everything else you use? If an os no longer supports a game, editing program or whatever other software you use then eventually the pc will become more and more useless.

It goes both ways, software can both be too new or too old for a given pc. I've got some games that used to run flawlessly on win98/xp that don't play well with win7 and crash. They rely on outdated software that was current at the time. It's one of the reasons why businesses often end up running older pc's, newer pc's may break the software they use every day. It may be too expensive or there might not even be a newer version of the programs they use and rely on. Eventually though they will need to find software to replace it with to upgrade it because hardware eventually breaks and it can be extremely expensive or impossible to find old hardware.

You can put that pc together and run win7 on it, just don't expect it to last 4, 5, 6+ years. Technically skylake is already outdated by kaby, kaby lake has been out awhile and soon enough there will be yet another new generation of motherboards and cpu's as well as future programs built around the newer win10 (already almost 2yrs old).

Solution