About that constant Explorer.exe refresh...

Lovable_Cylinder

Commendable
Jan 30, 2017
I'm sure by now most of you know about the desktop and task bar continuously refreshing. This has happened to me before but I can't do anything for reasons I'll explain in a minute.

Overwatch was crashing a bit more often than I think should be considered normal, mentioning potentially outdated video drivers but I didn't pay it much mind because my last update wasn't more than a few weeks before. After noticing some performance issues in Witcher 3 I decided to go ahead and update the drivers to I believe Crimson 17.0.0.1 or something. And immediately the refreshing started when I rebooted. After a few days of thinking and trying everything I knew to do, I decided to just reset the hard drive, but the issue persisted. Some people solve this by uninstalling IDT Audio, Bitdefender, or simply ending a task in the task manager, this is what I did last time this happened. Problem is; any and every window I manage to open, closes within 5 seconds.

I've run out of ideas.

Colif

Win 11 Master
lets try removing drivers in safe mode

Press ctrl alt del
On next screen, click the power button
while holding down shift, click restart PC
this will load advanced start up
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
hit the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
PC will restart and load safe mode

right click start button
choose device manager
uninstall the drivers that you just installed

restart PC and hopefully win 10 will load its default drivers for the card

Lovable_Cylinder

Commendable
Jan 30, 2017

Right, I forgot to mention the part where it slowly flickers between a white screen and a black screen for a while before giving me a message about unloadable memory or something. I'd upload a picture but the device I'm using does not like that idea.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you give me a parts list for the PC? What GPU and motherboard do you have?

does motherboard have integrated graphics? You might be best swapping to them if you can until we can swap the drivers out on other card

I wonder if the error is a windows error or motherboard error? i don't recognise unloadable memory error

what is problem with uploading? you can't do it direct to forums but if device cooperates you could upload to imgur and share link here.

Lovable_Cylinder

Commendable
Jan 30, 2017

I'm running an FX-8350 and Gigabyte (I think, it might be Sapphire) Radeon HD 7870 on an MSI 970 SLI Krait Edition motherboard, no idea what this RAM is brand wise, but it's four 1333MHz 2GB sticks. I also was wrong it actually says, "The instruction at 0x00007FF89DFDCC4A referenced memory at 0x00007FF89E0E1190. The memory could not be written." As far as uploading a picture goes, the browser crashes if I try to what I assume to be uploading here, and I just don't want to go to imgur or something similar, but I can go ahead and just do that if you need me to.

Colif

Win 11 Master
It appears its a conflict between explorer and another program, I still think getting into safe mode is best place to start.

If instructions above won't work, on another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB << its just a boot drive, if you have it already don't bother getting it again
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer, on 2nd screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options << if this option isn't here I won't be amused - sometimes it isn't.
hit the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

Once again, is it flickering?
try to remove drivers as suggested

alternate is right click start button
type [/b]msconfig[/b] and press enter
follow this to do a clean boot and see if that fixes it but its only temporary, its just a good way to load windows 10 without additional software.

Don't worry about screenshot, the error description might be enough

Lovable_Cylinder

Commendable
Jan 30, 2017
Oh jeez, I forgot I posted this, I couldn't get into safe mode using any means I know of, eventually I decided to just reformat and everything's working fine. Should I remove this thread as there's not *really* a solution?