About To Buy First Pc Parts, Need Final advice/help

Oct 15, 2018
Hey everyone I hope this is the right place to post this. My old pc uh... exploded not long ago and immediately after I began my journey to build a gaming pc of my own. Im very knew to the whole thing and still tons I dont understand but I do have a build wip I find satisfactory.
Just looking for more knowledgeable thoughts than my own if there is anything unnecessary, anything that should change or something terribly wrong and im about to make a colossal mistake.
Thanks
https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/cr4nw6

It's a good thing you asked. You chose a B350 Motherboard, which are made for 1st Gen Ryzen CPUs. You should go for a B450 model, which is the one for 2nd Gen CPUs. I would suggest the MSI B450 Tomahawk.

That is the only real issue in your build. Everything else looks fine, but I would have done it slightly different.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor ($507.00 @ 1stWave Technologies)
Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($219.00 @ 1stWave Technologies)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($320.84 @ PB Technologies)
Storage: *Western Digital - Green 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($78.04 @ Aquila Technology)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($103.95 @ 1stWave Technologies)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB CERBERUS Video Card ($799.95 @ Computer Lounge)
Case: Thermaltake - View 31 TG ATX Mid Tower Case ($183.17 @ Ascent Technology)
Power Supply: FSP Group - Hydro G 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($148.00 @ DTC Systems)
Total: $2359.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-15 20:50 NZDT+1300

I prioritized getting 3200Mhz of RAM as that's the MAX the motherboard supports.

I change the GPU since those types of GPUs aren't ideal for temperatures. Upgraded to 2Tb of storage for an extra 30$ only.

Consequently I took out the liquid cooler as the stock cooler that comes with the R7 2700X is good enough. Even for overclocking. That way it saves you some money to upgrade some other components, which are more "crucial" so to speak. You can always buy it later on anyways.

That ssd is quite terrible and I recommend you get a different one (has huge latency issues)
Cooler is way overkill and the ryzen runs well on the stock cooler. I also don't recommend AIO's due to the many points of failiure unless absolutly neccesary.
Psu is a bit overkill and you can get away with cheaper models that are about the same quality.
When you get that case to reposition the fans as they are in quite odd spots.
Also do not get that 1080 and get one with a decent cooler as that will easily give you 10% or more performance for a little extra. (and your system won't be extremely loud).
The b350 board will work if the bios was updated. If you don't want to risk it get a b450 board.

Oct 15, 2018

Oh wow thanks man there is even a list, its truly apprenticed
Speaking of the cooling however are you sure thats all fine? My last computer was always let down by its cooling and the summers where I live are humid nightmares.
Anyway thanks for the reply really thankful since spending money makes me nervous.

Oct 15, 2018

Oh wow I didn't realize that about the ssd ill look more into that. Any you can personally vouch for?

If you google it you'll find the issue. I got the 120gb one on sale for 20€ but wish I didn't. The system would have hickups and thought the drive was defective. I did my research and turns out it has latency issue so a lot of small files can cause issues (it was a scratchdrive so it gave plenty of issues). I decided to turn it in for a replacement but 3 drives later it still has the same issue. It's being used as a bootdrive and does ok but is not great at all.

Yeah, I have the 2700X as well. The Wraith Prism cooler they added is pretty good honestly. You won't see that big of a difference between the stock cooler and a water cooling. Probs 5 degrees and may 10 tops while under really heavy load.

That's why I suggested taking it out to upgrade some of your other parts as you wouldn't be able to replace the RAM and HDD (you'd need to buy a new one). Whereas the AIO Water Cooler, you can simply just buy one at a later date and start with the already very good stock Wraith Prism cooler that comes with this CPU.