[SOLVED] About to buy parts for new PC. Thoughts?

Ripper351

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
Okay friends, I have done as much research as I could possibly stand and I'm about to buy all these parts. I would love a second opinion before spending this much money.
I also listed secondary options for a few pieces and put specific questions of mine below the part list.

Side notes:
  • I don't care about spending time overclocking. (Should I? I've never done it before. I just don't like spending tons of time to get minimal increase.)
  • I want to purchase everything locally at Micro Center, so some items have been ruled out if they are out of stock at Sharonville, OH Micro Center.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/
CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX.BLACK 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler
GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB ROG Strix Gaming OC
(GPU 2nd option: MSI Geforce RTX 2080ti Gaming X Trio Triple Fan?)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ULTRA ATX LGA1151
(Motherboard 2nd option: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master?)
Sound Card: Soundblaster Z (already owned)
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM (already owned)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR600
(Case 2nd option: Lian Li LANCOOL II-X ATX Mid Tower Case)
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G1+ 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver 5 (dot method)

My Questions:

Last edited:
Solution
1)That it does, and not by much, but the platform also costs a good deal more. If you're already aware of that... it is what it is.

2)That could be a problem.
The issue when running multi-monitor with different native refresh rates can introduce stutter, and/or the monitor with the higher refresh rate having to be locked to the refresh rate of the lower one when there is anything animated on the lower refresh one.

3)
-Basically yes.
-That example is close enough.
If you've never been next to a gpu at max fan speed, I suggest you try it out for several minutes before jumping straight on that Gaming X... wouldn't want you to have any regrets because it's too loud in game.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I don't care about spending time overclocking. (Should I? I've never done it before. I just don't like spending tons of time to get minimal increase.)
Overclocking is a hobby. It can take time because no 2 pieces of silicon are the same.
It doesn't look like you'd care too much for it.

Am i correct in choosing the Asus 2080ti over the MSI? Looked like MSI had barely better performance, but ASUS had much better cooling. I also prefer look of ASUS
It's not that the Asus model has better cooling, but because its power limits are lower.
Depending on the bios version, the Asus model has a max limit of up to 325w: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios...&version=&interface=&memType=&memSize=&since=
The Msi model, on the other hand, has one that goes up to 406w! https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios...&version=&interface=&memType=&memSize=&since=
Higher power limit means it can automatically boost and be overclocked higher, but that also comes with higher power consumption and thermals. More aggressive fan speeds are needed to make up for that.
IMO, the quiet bios on the Asus model is a moot point, because Nvidia's Gpu Boost algorithm is temperature sensitive; the cooler the card runs, the better - sans power limits, anyway.
If you're not a performance 1st kind of person, then you may want to skip the Gaming X Trio, because you'll have to run the fans very high to even take advantage of the extra power headroom.

Thoughts on NR600 case vs Lian Li?
None, because the subject can be very biased to one brand or another. Both are fine in the airflow department. Go with your gut on this one.

Do i need the Soundblaster Z with either of those Mobos? From what i read, the Master board had better audio, so if i get the Ultra should i keep the sound card or sell it? If i get the Master is the sound card redundant?
No.
Also, all these mobo manufacturers use the same Realtek audio codecs, but they rebadge them as their own and charge you extra for it, LOL!
Asus SupremeFX, Msi Nahimic, Gigabyte AMP-UP!, etc.

PSU lookin' alright?
Yes: https://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2018/07/30/evga-supernova-750-g1-750w-power-supply/6/

Any other thoughts on the build?
1)What is the resolution and refresh of the monitor in question? A 2080Ti is a large waste of money below 1440p; at 1080p, people with 2070 Supers and RX 5700XTs won't be very far behind you...

2)Are you adverse to going the AMD route? Ryzen 3700X?

Reactions: GarrettL

Ripper351

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
Overclocking is a hobby. It can take time because no 2 pieces of silicon are the same.
It doesn't look like you'd care too much for it.

It's not that the Asus model has better cooling, but because its power limits are lower.
Depending on the bios version, the Asus model has a max limit of up to 325w: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios...&version=&interface=&memType=&memSize=&since=
The Msi model, on the other hand, has one that goes up to 406w! https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios...&version=&interface=&memType=&memSize=&since=
Higher power limit means it can automatically boost and be overclocked higher, but that also comes with higher power consumption and thermals. More aggressive fan speeds are needed to make up for that.
IMO, the quiet bios on the Asus model is a moot point, because Nvidia's Gpu Boost algorithm is temperature sensitive; the cooler the card runs, the better - sans power limits, anyway.
If you're not a performance 1st kind of person, then you may want to skip the Gaming X Trio, because you'll have to run the fans very high to even take advantage of the extra power headroom.

None, because the subject can be very biased to one brand or another. Both are fine in the airflow department. Go with your gut on this one.

No.
Also, all these mobo manufacturers use the same Realtek audio codecs, but they rebadge them as their own and charge you extra for it, LOL!
Asus SupremeFX, Msi Nahimic, Gigabyte AMP-UP!, etc.

Yes: https://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2018/07/30/evga-supernova-750-g1-750w-power-supply/6/

1)What is the resolution and refresh of the monitor in question? A 2080Ti is a large waste of money below 1440p; at 1080p, people with 2070 Supers and RX 5700XTs won't be very far behind you...

2)Are you adverse to going the AMD route? Ryzen 3700X?
Hey thanks for the solid and speedy reply, as I will be at the store early in the morning! To answer your questions:
  1. No i'm not adverse to ryzen but from the benchmarks I've seen it looks like 9700k performs better.
  2. My "monitor" is going to be 4k 60hz and 1440p 120hz. (Using the 55-in Lg C9 that supports both these resolutions with GSync.)
  3. So if i want better performance, I should take the Gaming X Trio over the Strix? Because I don't seem to mind fan volume too much. Do i have this correct? Strix = lower temp, lower power consumption, lower performance, better noise levels. Trio = higher temps, higher power consumption, better performance, worse noise levels?
    EDIT: actually, looks like both cards have similar volume levels based on techpowerup reviews.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)That it does, and not by much, but the platform also costs a good deal more. If you're already aware of that... it is what it is.

The issue when running multi-monitor with different native refresh rates can introduce stutter, and/or the monitor with the higher refresh rate having to be locked to the refresh rate of the lower one when there is anything animated on the lower refresh one.

3)
-Basically yes.
If you've never been next to a gpu at max fan speed, I suggest you try it out for several minutes before jumping straight on that Gaming X... wouldn't want you to have any regrets because it's too loud in game.

Solution

Ripper351

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014

3)
-Basically yes.
Sorry If my previous reply was unclear, but I will only be using one monitor, the LG C9. But depending on the game I am playing I will be switching between either 4k 60Hz or 1440p 120Hz on the C9.
And as per the noise levels, it looks like both cards were reviewed with the same decibel level according to the reviews i posted, so it doesn't look like there should be a difference between the two cards?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Sorry If my previous reply was unclear, but I will only be using one monitor, the LG C9. But depending on the game I am playing I will be switching between either 4k 60Hz or 1440p 120Hz on the C9.
AH, I gotcha! Thanks for clearing that up.

And as per the noise levels, it looks like both cards were reviewed with the same decibel level according to the reviews i posted, so it doesn't look like there should be a difference between the two cards?
There shouldn't, but users will be able to get away with running lower and quieter fan profiles on the Asus model, whereas those running the Msi one will want to be running high, or max fan profiles to get the most out of the extra power headroom.
Not doing so would mean that it would perform just as fast as the Asus card.

Ripper351

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
Also, according to that same review, the Strix actually had higher OC abilities. Strix = 2115 GPU Clock, and 2065 Memory Clock; while Trio = 2085 GPU Clock and 2005 Memory Clock. Does that mean Strix would actually out perform the Trio?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, it would - but it depends on the vbios in the gpus at the time.
Techpowerup's database currently has 2 different power limits between the multiple versions of the Strix OC's bios: 313 and 325w.
For the Gaming X Trio, they have 330 and 406w.

There's also the PCB design under the gpus, but that gets a little too technical for me.

Ripper351

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
Yeah, it would - but it depends on the vbios in the gpus at the time.
Techpowerup's database currently has 2 different power limits between the multiple versions of the Strix OC's bios: 313 and 325w.
For the Gaming X Trio, they have 330 and 406w.

There's also the PCB design under the gpus, but that gets a little too technical for me.
Haha now i'm confused on which GPU to snag. Looks like the Trio has better performance? Or just get whichever one looks better haha.

Ripper351

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
I would choose between pricing and looks.
You're already giving up a kidney for it, why pay more?
Thanks for all the help! I greatly appreciate it! I currently own an Ibuypower PC that is the same price, but changes CPU to 9900k and RAM to 32gb of slower 2666 ram and am thinking of returning it for the Custom build i have outlined. I was just getting really high CPU temps; spiking to 95/105C here and there, and running at 80+ normally. The difference in RAM probably doesn't change anything, but obviously you get a nicer CPU with iBuypower, but arguably a worse CPU cooler, and perhaps PSU. I think their CPU cooler is a Corsair H60, and the PSU is a Cobra Power but idk what wattage.

Ripper351

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
Thanks for all the help! I greatly appreciate it!
So I ended up getting the Gaming X Trio 2080ti, and I also decided to just go with the 9900k over the 9700k, because I'll be using the Wireless Vive Pro and heard there could be better performance with the 9900k. I also added an SSD, a better PSU, and different thermal paste. Final Build Specs:
CPU: I9-9900k
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX.BLACK 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler
GPU: MSI 2080ti Gaming X Trio
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ULTRA ATX LGA1151
Sound Card: Soundblaster Z
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM + 860 EVO 500GB
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR600
PSU: Corsair 850RM
Thermal Paste: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut or Noctua NTH1 (came included with my cooler)

I'll let you know how it compares to the iBuypower once I have it up and running! Let me know what you think of my selections!

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88