[SOLVED] About to get a 1Tb M.2 SSD soon, which configuration should i use now?

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
Well, my laptop currently has a 256gb M.2 SSD, and a 1 Tb HDD, along with 16 gb of Intel Optane memory that sits in a m.2 slot. I've placed an order for another 1 Tb M.2 SSD from HP, which of these two might be the best?
1. Take away the 256GB SSD and use the 1Tb SSD? Is there some method to shift/clone all my drivers, windows itself and stuff if both the ssd are connected to the PC at a time? Or will i have to reinstall all things from the official acer site?

2. Take away the 16 gb of optane memory and use the 1 tb SSD? Will it hit my 1 Tb HDD performance wise much? I've seen some youtube videos in which the HDD is accelerated to SATA SSD like game loading speeds using optane memory but they were 32 GB of Optane, so i suspect they used Memory Pinning function, something you can't do with 16 GB of Optane.

My usage of said laptop
I play games like Guilty Gear: STRIVE, The definitive edition trilogy of GTA, AC Odyssey. RDR 2, Valorant, Nioh: The Complete edition, CS: GO, Minecraft, and Most probably will play FF VII Remake Integrade (or whatever it's called) too.
And i download some anime to watch too, which usually take around 300-400 gigs of storage in itself (yeah, i pretty much download the whole series before starting it)

Solution
Assuming the slot where the Optane memory is installed to is a compatible M.2 slot, then replace the Optane memory module with the SSD. Then transfer your games to the SSD. With most game launchers, you can simply move the library folder over and tell the launcher the location of the library is at now. If Minecraft is the Java edition, you can move that over as well.

The thing with Optane memory is it only gets you SSD-like speeds for things you commonly use. But since you're getting an SSD, you may as well just put things you commonly use anyway onto it and not have to hope the caching system keeps that in Optane for you.
Assuming the slot where the Optane memory is installed to is a compatible M.2 slot, then replace the Optane memory module with the SSD. Then transfer your games to the SSD. With most game launchers, you can simply move the library folder over and tell the launcher the location of the library is at now. If Minecraft is the Java edition, you can move that over as well.

The thing with Optane memory is it only gets you SSD-like speeds for things you commonly use. But since you're getting an SSD, you may as well just put things you commonly use anyway onto it and not have to hope the caching system keeps that in Optane for you.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS