about to go insane with hp scsi scanner 7400. PLEASE HELP

hi, i have a hp 7400 scanner.

i have used it for several years on usb 1 but its just too slow for large
files, so i want to try scsi

to cut it short:

have tried 3 different scsi cards by 2 different manufacturers, adaptec and
tekram. and all have the same problem

it scans about 1/5 to 1/2 the page before halting. precisionscan pro 3.02
then locks for about 5 minutes.
it will scan small files say under 40Mb, but when it tries to do anything
larger it just halts before returning back to its 'home' position after
about 1 minute. I think it hangs where it waits for the scanners buffer to
empty before continuing to scan

i have tried:
changing scsi id, 2 through to 6
async and sync transfer modes
all transfer rates from 2 to 20Mb/sec
enabled and disabled every setting in the scsi bios in many different
combinations
updated every driver and bios
installed viewscan - interesting. this seems to work but transparency
scans are awful and it still hangs on the very large scans
tried scanner on another motherboard which had a different chipset

spec:
windows XP prof
hp precisionscan pro3.02
scanner bios 0.8s (but the scsi card reads it as 0.8a)
motherboard with vis kt600 chipset on sata raid 0 and pata raid 1

Please can somebody help. i think its the HP software. Im certainly never
going to buy another hp product again. its like my printer. a HP 1220c, hp
does not support it on xp in bi-directional mode, so i had to get a hp
jetdirect printer server to enable the full printing function. Their
hardware is good. its just the software. Seems like they produce these
things and don't give a damn if people have a problem with it.

Cheers, Mark

Yes, it's the HP software. HP scanner software is legendary for being full of
odd quirks. My old SCSI ScanJet here sometimes disappears from the system and
reappears some days later with no rhyme or reason. In particular, I think that
HP has paid little or no attention at all to SCSI scanners running under XP, the
rationale being that new USB2 scanners are all that matters. Further, HP does
very little to update the software for its scanners, especially for new
operating system releases. They seem to want to sell you new scanners, and
expect you to throw perfectly good scanners in the dumpster.

About all i can suggest is to browse (hunt for a needle in a haystack, really)
for a later version of PrecisionScan Pro to download and try. There are also
3rd party scanner packages that may be worth the money. Otherwise, I can only
pour gasoline on your fire. HP does make good scanner hardware, but its scanner
software is low-class stuff... Ben Myers

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:48:29 GMT, "Mark N" <a@b.com> wrote:

>hi, i have a hp 7400 scanner.
>
>i have used it for several years on usb 1 but its just too slow for large
>files, so i want to try scsi
>
>to cut it short:
>
>have tried 3 different scsi cards by 2 different manufacturers, adaptec and
>tekram. and all have the same problem
>
>it scans about 1/5 to 1/2 the page before halting. precisionscan pro 3.02
>then locks for about 5 minutes.
>it will scan small files say under 40Mb, but when it tries to do anything
>larger it just halts before returning back to its 'home' position after
>about 1 minute. I think it hangs where it waits for the scanners buffer to
>empty before continuing to scan
>
>i have tried:
> changing scsi id, 2 through to 6
> async and sync transfer modes
> all transfer rates from 2 to 20Mb/sec
> enabled and disabled every setting in the scsi bios in many different
>combinations
> updated every driver and bios
> installed viewscan - interesting. this seems to work but transparency
>scans are awful and it still hangs on the very large scans
> tried scanner on another motherboard which had a different chipset
>

>spec:
>windows XP prof
>hp precisionscan pro3.02
>scanner bios 0.8s (but the scsi card reads it as 0.8a)
>motherboard with vis kt600 chipset on sata raid 0 and pata raid 1
>

>Please can somebody help. i think its the HP software. Im certainly never
>going to buy another hp product again. its like my printer. a HP 1220c, hp
>does not support it on xp in bi-directional mode, so i had to get a hp
>jetdirect printer server to enable the full printing function. Their
>hardware is good. its just the software. Seems like they produce these
>things and don't give a damn if people have a problem with it.
>

>Cheers, Mark

Thanks Ben. Im certain its precisioncsan pro thats to blame.

When the time comes to buy another scanner it will most definately NOT be a
HP...

Cheers, Mark

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:48:29 UTC, "Mark N" <a@b.com> wrote:

> i have tried:
> changing scsi id, 2 through to 6
> async and sync transfer modes
> all transfer rates from 2 to 20Mb/sec
> enabled and disabled every setting in the scsi bios in many different
> combinations
> updated every driver and bios
> installed viewscan - interesting. this seems to work but transparency
> scans are awful and it still hangs on the very large scans
> tried scanner on another motherboard which had a different chipset
>

> spec:
> windows XP prof
> hp precisionscan pro3.02
> scanner bios 0.8s (but the scsi card reads it as 0.8a)

I don't see that you checked the cable. Cheap or too long cables might well
cause intermittent SCSI bus flaws. Try a good, shielded, short (1m) cable.
Also, you don't mention termination. The bus should be terminated actively
on both ends. One end is terminated by the adapter, but on the scanner's
end, it's up to you, either by setting a switch at the scanner (I'm
unfamiliar with that model) or by plugging a matching terminator into the
scanner's 2nd SCSI port.

HTH
Hartmut
--
Please use 'Reply-to' for personal e-mail.
Bitte fuer direkte emails 'Reply-to' benutzen.

Hi hartmut, thanks for the response.

the cable is about 1 meter in length. As for the quality im not too sure. It
cost me about £5 from
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=1849

I. not sure how much a quality scsi cable should cost. But if i see a decent
looking one on Ebay i may try another. I have a 5 meter DVI-I cable for one
of my monitors which is made by Lindy and it's an excellent cable. So i will
try to get one of those. Belkin cables seem extremely pricey!

Termination - the scanner has only 1 scsi port and no switches for
termination. So i assume its self terminating.

Thanks, Mark

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:05:46 UTC, "Mark N" <a@b.com> wrote:

> Hi hartmut, thanks for the response.
>
> the cable is about 1 meter in length. As for the quality im not too sure. It
> cost me about £5 from
> http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=1849

doesn't look too bad, although I've seen chunkier ones.
But it's always good to try another one (only a few weeks ago, I had this
problem with a factory-new USB cable, which would provide power and let the
system recognize the device, but didn't allow data transfer).

> Termination - the scanner has only 1 scsi port and no switches for
> termination. So i assume its self terminating.

Might be, but better check the manual.

Hartmut