Question About to lose my mind with this computer crashing

Jan 28, 2022
This laptop is probably one of the worst things to use for gaming at this point. It crashes in VR, it crashes playing "The Forest", and it even crashes just watching videos! I need SOMEONE to at least help me with these issues. Not another "I can't help you with this" or "have you updated everything?". I need the truth. What is causing the issue with this laptop crashing multiple times?! If nobody can find out what's causing this, i'm just gonna throw it in the garbage and just use a windows 7 laptop instead. It's better than this one anyways and I won't even have to worry about it then. If any needs the .dmp files, here you go!

The Forest crash log

VRChat crash log

kanewolf

Titan
This laptop is probably one of the worst things to use for gaming at this point. It crashes in VR, it crashes playing "The Forest", and it even crashes just watching videos! I need SOMEONE to at least help me with these issues. Not another "I can't help you with this" or "have you updated everything?". I need the truth. What is causing the issue with this laptop crashing multiple times?! If nobody can find out what's causing this, i'm just gonna throw it in the garbage and just use a windows 7 laptop instead. It's better than this one anyways and I won't even have to worry about it then. If any needs the .dmp files, here you go!

The Forest crash log

VRChat crash log
What have you done to debug? Monitored temps? Done a clean OS install?
You didn't even identify the model of laptop. If you want help, you have to provide info.

looks like a few updated drivers:
on 5-10-2022
FA506IV - Support (asus.com)
i am looking at this:

Version V3.1.3.0
2022/05/10 12.31 MBytes
ASUS System Control Interface v3
try the update, it could have caused this type of bugcheck.

---------
could not figure out why the system bugchecked. the error indicates a bad instruction pointer which could happen if the cpu was over heated. system tried to access memory location address 2.
bogus address.
----------
machine info:
Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
Product FA506IV
Version 1.0
Product Name ASUS TUF Gaming A15 FA506IV_FA506IV
Processor Family 6bh - AMD Zen Processor Family
Processor Manufacturer Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Processor ID 10f8600fffb8b17
Processor Version AMD Ryzen 7 4800H with Radeon Graphics
Processor Voltage 8ch - 1.2V
External Clock 100MHz
Max Speed 4300MHz
Current Speed 2900MHz
BIOS Version FA506IV.318
BIOS Starting Address Segment f000
BIOS Release Date 02/23/2022

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2022
This is just a continuation of this thread -- https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/bsod-issues.3747269/
To avoid having to duplicate those discussions.
Sorry, but i'm just annoyed at this laptop. Here you go. Also i've rolled most of the stuff back to Jan 2021 to at least see if it'll function when I first got it. And no idea what happened to the debug as well as temps. I've seen the Nvidia cap at 86c and AMD was behind it at 78c roughly.

Asus Tuf A15 Gaming Laptop
Nvidia RTX 2060
Amd Ryzen 7 4800H
16GB Ram
Windows 10
512 GB SSD

But @johnbl said most of what my computer was. Sorry. I got upset and took a nap to feel better.

Jan 28, 2022
on 5-10-2022
i am looking at this:

Version V3.1.3.0
2022/05/10 12.31 MBytes

---------
could not figure out why the system bugchecked. the error indicates a bad instruction pointer which could happen if the cpu was over heated. system tried to access memory location address 2.
bogus address.
----------
machine info:
Product FA506IV
Version 1.0
External Clock 100MHz
Max Speed 4300MHz
Current Speed 2900MHz
BIOS Version FA506IV.318

Yeahhh, see what I mean? I don't know why it's fussing, but i'll try to update this and see if it stops complaining. I've tried everything and it still failed.

Jan 28, 2022
on 5-10-2022
i am looking at this:

Version V3.1.3.0
2022/05/10 12.31 MBytes

---------
bogus address.
----------
machine info:
Product FA506IV
Version 1.0
External Clock 100MHz
Max Speed 4300MHz
Current Speed 2900MHz
BIOS Version FA506IV.318

I did the update and looks like it was a BIOS update. I tried that, and it still crashed. This laptop is pretty much busted at this point hence why I made a fundraiser to get a better one, because it seems to hate playing Steam games now. Need the latest crash?

Here ya go! To be honest, I think this laptop is just given up. I haven't had it for about a year and 4 months, so I don't know. It could be the Oculus Rift CV1 giving it problems.

Dmp file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LooeXrHMVdflBGzCIGwrJI_jCPHwBNm_/view?usp=sharing
looks like another bad cpu instruction pointer.
change the memory dump type to kernel, then on the next bugcheck provide the file
c:\windows\memory.dmp
it will show internal logs and what is going on with each cpu. Also, it should show the thermal sensor info.

your system is bugchecking pretty fast 12 minutes.
you might just download autoruns and start disabling some drivers and see if your system does not bugcheck.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

suspect driver:
I would first disable and oculus driver, reboot and see if you bugcheck.
then disable some to the asus drivers, reboot and see if you bugcheck
then disable the VB Virtual Audio drivers and reboot and check for bugchecks.

AsusWmiAcpi
ocusbvid111
AsRadioControl
Oculus_ViGEmBus
vbaudio_vmvaio64_win10
vbaudio_cable64_win7
AsusPTPFilter
OCULUS119B
AsusSAIO
----------
network related drivers:
rt640x64
rtwlane
RtkBtfilter

this driver is pretty old:
vbaudio_cable64_win7.sys Wed Aug 13 23:15:25 2014
this one is also loaded:
vbaudio_vmvaio64_win10.sys Fri Jan 11 23:23:23 2019
I would remove the one from 2014

i would also remove
Image name: WRkrn.sys Tue May 15 10:27:37 2018
Webroot anti-virus software
oculus files were dated from 2016 to 2021
I would remove all of it and reinstall after the system is stable.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2022
suspect driver:
I would first disable and oculus driver, reboot and see if you bugcheck.
then disable some to the asus drivers, reboot and see if you bugcheck
then disable the VB Virtual Audio drivers and reboot and check for bugchecks.

AsusWmiAcpi
ocusbvid111
AsRadioControl
Oculus_ViGEmBus
vbaudio_vmvaio64_win10
vbaudio_cable64_win7
AsusPTPFilter
OCULUS119B
AsusSAIO
----------
network related drivers:
rt640x64
rtwlane
RtkBtfilter

this driver is pretty old:
vbaudio_cable64_win7.sys Wed Aug 13 23:15:25 2014
this one is also loaded:
vbaudio_vmvaio64_win10.sys Fri Jan 11 23:23:23 2019
I would remove the one from 2014

i would also remove
Image name: WRkrn.sys Tue May 15 10:27:37 2018
Webroot anti-virus software
oculus files were dated from 2016 to 2021
I would remove all of it and reinstall after the system is stable.

Just coming back in, i'm puzzled on the stuff you said. I don't know if I need to disable all the drivers you said, or delete them entirely. But for now, I only removed the vb audio cable from 2014, but everything else is still around, but I set it to kernal memory dump as well. It just hates VR entirely, so I can get it to easily crash and give you the rundown. But i'll wait on what to do since i'm worried of messing up.

Edit: I got it to crash and looks like it was labled after Oculus Dash when I was in VRChat at the time.

Last edited:
I got it to crash, but this is the Kernel memory dump. Here ya go. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q7kzX3zBs6hVaEPF13kuBmdOz8w-Et37/view?usp=sharing
32 bit subsystem just indicated a bad cpu instruction pointer. it just started running code that was outside any loaded modules.
instruction pointer was inside of a heap address.
which would make me guess it is related to this file:
C:\Windows\System32\msacm32.drv being not loaded at the default address.

Maybe a tool just assumed the old load address and made a call, that might be something this tool would do:
(overwolf)

So I would disable the overwolf drivers
(bad form to put these in a hidden directory anyway)
C:\Users\Davy\AppData\Local\Overwolf\Extensions\ncfplpkmiejjaklknfnkgcpapnhkggmlcppckhcb\196.0.2\obs\data\obs-plugins\win-capture\ow-graphics-hook64.dll Tue Mar 8 11:51:36 2022
C:\Program Files (x86)\Overwolf\0.195.0.18\ow-graphics-vulkan.dll Tue Nov 23 05:46:13 2021
reboot and re-test for failure.

=============================
there might be some issue with the
InternalName: Microsoft ACM Audio Filter
with the driver version not matching the .dll version

Image path: C:\Windows\System32\msacm32.dll
ProductVersion: 10.0.19041.1001

Image path: C:\Windows\System32\msacm32.drv
File version: 10.0.19041.488
i only mention it because the loader loaded the driver at an offset.
msacm32_7fff1d040000
which could mean some mess up with the versions.
you would have to unregister the files and reregister the files to attempt a fix without having to reinstall windows to get the fixed 32 bit subsystem.

reinstall of windows with a current build might fix the subsystem if it is not caused by one of the 32 bit tools you have installed. (overwolf, or tracking software)
also, assuming it is not a bug that was introduced via the update process.

==========
note: tried to validate the heap but hit a bug in the debugger crashed the debugger.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2022
32 bit subsystem just indicated a bad cpu instruction pointer. it just started running code that was outside any loaded modules.
instruction pointer was inside of a heap address.
which would make me guess it is related to this file:
C:\Windows\System32\msacm32.drv being not loaded at the default address.

Maybe a tool just assumed the old load address and made a call, that might be something this tool would do:
(overwolf)

So I would disable the overwolf drivers
(bad form to put these in a hidden directory anyway)
C:\Users\Davy\AppData\Local\Overwolf\Extensions\ncfplpkmiejjaklknfnkgcpapnhkggmlcppckhcb\196.0.2\obs\data\obs-plugins\win-capture\ow-graphics-hook64.dll Tue Mar 8 11:51:36 2022
C:\Program Files (x86)\Overwolf\0.195.0.18\ow-graphics-vulkan.dll Tue Nov 23 05:46:13 2021
reboot and re-test for failure.

=============================
there might be some issue with the
InternalName: Microsoft ACM Audio Filter
with the driver version not matching the .dll version

Image path: C:\Windows\System32\msacm32.dll
ProductVersion: 10.0.19041.1001

Image path: C:\Windows\System32\msacm32.drv
File version: 10.0.19041.488
i only mention it because the loader loaded the driver at an offset.
msacm32_7fff1d040000
which could mean some mess up with the versions.
you would have to unregister the files and reregister the files to attempt a fix without having to reinstall windows to get the fixed 32 bit subsystem.

reinstall of windows with a current build might fix the subsystem if it is not caused by one of the 32 bit tools you have installed. (overwolf, or tracking software)
also, assuming it is not a bug that was introduced via the update process.

==========
note: tried to validate the heap but hit a bug in the debugger crashed the debugger.

I might have to just give up at this point and just restart windows over again..for the 3rd time. For a laptop that doesn't like VR, it sure is complaining about everything else around it. Although if I do reset it, I guess i'll just have my VR downloaded to it and see how that fairs. I really just wanna get a new laptop entirely and just give up on this system.

I might have to just give up at this point and just restart windows over again..for the 3rd time. For a laptop that doesn't like VR, it sure is complaining about everything else around it. Although if I do reset it, I guess i'll just have my VR downloaded to it and see how that fairs. I really just wanna get a new laptop entirely and just give up on this system.
just uninstall the overwolf software and reboot to see if you still get a bugcheck. system crashes pretty fast (26 mins)
or you can start running verifier to see if it picks up a bad driver.
------------
you could also go into bios and turn off any cpu function that changes the cpu speed. turbo boost or speed step type functions (not sure what they are called on amd cpus). this can prevent a core from overheating and causing cpu errors.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2022
just uninstall the overwolf software and reboot to see if you still get a bugcheck. system crashes pretty fast (26 mins)
------------
you could also go into bios and turn off any cpu function that changes the cpu speed. turbo boost or speed step type functions (not sure what they are called on amd cpus). this can prevent a core from overheating and causing cpu errors.

Alrighty. Thanks for all the help as well. I'm not leaving this, don't worry. Just thanking you for helping out.

Jan 28, 2022
------------

Still failed. Here's the latest one.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tkkJ3e1FHtJUJ1lMRqAIqt0hyxgUbDmZ/view?usp=sharing

this is a user mode failure in window 32bit subsystem running some app using qt5gui calling into qt5core.dll reading from a null pointer.

this would be a common app mistake.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\OVR_AdvancedSettings\Qt5Core.dll
Image name: Qt5Core.dll Timestamp: Fri Nov 8 08:23:29 2019

I just dont know much about this stuff. The only thing that looks wrong to me is the microsoft audio compression (msacm32.dll) but I would not know how to fix it other than doing a repair:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...0/7801e8e2-f592-4623-86c3-822dfd7f8fb2?auth=1

Jan 28, 2022
this is a user mode failure in window 32bit subsystem running some app using qt5gui calling into qt5core.dll reading from a null pointer.

this would be a common app mistake.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\OVR_AdvancedSettings\Qt5Core.dll
Image name: Qt5Core.dll Timestamp: Fri Nov 8 08:23:29 2019

I just dont know much about this stuff. The only thing that looks wrong to me is the microsoft audio compression (msacm32.dll) but I would not know how to fix it other than doing a repair:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...0/7801e8e2-f592-4623-86c3-822dfd7f8fb2?auth=1
Okey dokey. Also I was just gonna go up and format the whole thing and just start over again. I wish there was a way to copy my stock program files I first had on this laptop, but I never did that.

May 24, 2022
The most well-known reason for irregular accidents is an overheating PC brought about by impeded wind current or a faltering fan. Focus on how hard your PC is functioning at the hour of an accident — high use infers an intensity issue. Different causes incorporate equipment disappointment, including RAM or plates, and less usually, malware

Jan 28, 2022
The most well-known reason for irregular accidents is an overheating PC brought about by impeded wind current or a faltering fan. Focus on how hard your PC is functioning at the hour of an accident — high use infers an intensity issue. Different causes incorporate equipment disappointment, including RAM or plates, and less usually, malware

At this point, i've given up trying anymore. Not even under a split 10 seconds in the game "The Forest", it crashes. It's not making a crash log anymore for some reason, but these are the 3 it gave everytime I tried loading it up in VR.

Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap - 5/29/22 11:47pm
Attempted Execute of Nonexecute Memory - 5/29/22 11:52pm
Kernel Security Check Failure - 5/29/22 11:55pm
Irql Not Less Or Equal - 5/29/22 11:57pm

It clearly just isn't a "gaming laptop" anymore. If I paid 1,060$ for it, I doubt it functions like it should anymore. I'm looking at new laptops anyways. It's going to be the same like this one, but it'll have intel and nvidia instead of nvidia and amd in it. I guess I just got a obsolete laptop considering it crashed earlier on me when I was just browsing the internet and I wasn't doing anything at all!

I checked out the Regedit and I had a thought. Can't I just delete the "LastKey" and "View" and see if it reverts back to the original Regedit? I don't know if I edited it long ago. I might have, but I doubt the reset I pulled on it in March reverted that.

Last edited: