[SOLVED] About to Migrate my C-Drive (OS, Apps, Files) onto a new M.2 SSD. Please double-check my thought process?=)

Theleb_Kaarna

Reputable
Feb 28, 2017
Relevant specs:
ASUS Maximus IX Formula
i7700K
C-Drive: Plextor M8Pe(Y) PCIe x4 -- 512GB -- (Windows 10 Pro, Apps, Files, Etc) -- SOURCE DISC
C-Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 -- 1TB -- TARGET DISC (to become new C-Drive)

D-Drive: Samsung 960 Pro M.2 -- 1TB (Games)
E-Drive: Samsung 850 Pro SATA -- 1TB (Music)
F-Drive: Samsung 850 Pro SATA -- 1TB (Music)
G-Drive: Western Digital "Black" HDD -- 4TB (Storage)
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit (Retail Version)

Good morning! Per topic, the following is my proposed process.

Here's what I've done so far:
A. Double-checked that Chipset Driver is up-to-date.
B. Cleaned-up, then using Acronis, backed-up entire C-Drive onto G-Drive (Storage).
C. Physically installed new Samsung EVO M.2 SSD Target Disc.
D. Initialized new M.2 SSD (opted for GTP, not MBR). Did NOT format, select Drive Letter, name, etc.

Moving forward, my plan is to:
E. Run "Samsung Data Migration" tool.
F. Once complete, shut down, reboot in BIOS, select new disc as boot priority.
G. Restart a couple times to be sure everything is recognized and working properly.
H. Run Diskeeper to be sure it recognizes new disc as SSD and that Trim is enabled.
I. Format/erase OLD C-Drive, set its new Drive Letter to "H", and use it as storage or whatever in the future.

*Note that the reason for the migration is that I'm just running out of disc space. My existing Plextor C-Drive is operating just fine otherwise.

So does everything look good, am I overlooking anything?

Also my further questions:
  1. I plan to leave all my other SSDs and HDD connected throughout this process as my SATA connectors are difficult to physically access. Is this OK?
  2. Is "Samsung Data Migration" tool my best choice, or is there a better migration option?
  3. As I've not Formatted my new disc (to assign a drive letter), I assume the Migration Tool will automatically assign my new disc as "C-Drive" like my old one?
  4. Theoretically, as long as my new drive is designated/named identically to the old one, all programs, systems, files, etc on my other drives should "see" the new drive OK and function as if I never changed drives in the first place, correct?
Thanks in advance for taking the time. Appreciate you guys=)

Last edited:
Solution
First, you verify that the system boots from the current C drive by itself, the Plextor. This verifies that the actual boot partition does indeed reside on that drive.
Not the partition labeled C, but the small 100MB or 500MB boot partition.
The only way to really verify is physical disconnection of all the other drives.

1. It is strongly recommended to have only the relevant drives connected while you do this.
  2. Since the target drive is a Samsung, the SDM is the preferred tool. Or Macrium Reflect.
  3. Misconception. The C drive is whatever the system boots from.
  4. If it goes right, yes.

And along with Step 1, you really really need to disconnect the old C drive at the end of the process. As the first step after the...

USAFRet

Titan
First, you verify that the system boots from the current C drive by itself, the Plextor. This verifies that the actual boot partition does indeed reside on that drive.
Not the partition labeled C, but the small 100MB or 500MB boot partition.
The only way to really verify is physical disconnection of all the other drives.

1. It is strongly recommended to have only the relevant drives connected while you do this.
  2. Since the target drive is a Samsung, the SDM is the preferred tool. Or Macrium Reflect.
  3. Misconception. The C drive is whatever the system boots from.
  4. If it goes right, yes.

And along with Step 1, you really really need to disconnect the old C drive at the end of the process. As the first step after the migration is done, have the system try to boot up from ONLY the new drive by itself.

Solution

Theleb_Kaarna

Reputable
Feb 28, 2017
Thank for the detailed response!

1. Would the image below of my Disk Management be adequate to show the the Boot Partition being located where it should be? "Disk 4" is the Plextor Drive, where you can see the OS and partitions are grouped together. The reason I'm hoping to avoid having to physically disconnect is while the SATA Drives are easy enough to access, my M.2 D-Drive is behind a cover in the Mobo which is behind a custom rigid loop. If I'm still really best off (even after seeing the image) to disconnect everything, I will, but would prefer to avoid having to do so if I can.

VqTgopK.jpg

Along with step 1, once migration is complete, I'll disconnect the Plextor Drive as you suggest before rebooting. Once everything is confirmed to be working correctly, I assume I can just reconnect the Plextor Drive, then commence with re-formatting/renaming without issue? Will it cease to be designated as "C-Drive" automatically and instead be the next sequential available alphabet letter?

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, that looks like Disk 4 is the full package.
(I still prefer to test, though)

For the other drives, I much prefer actual physical disconnection. Don't have to take the drive out, just disconnect the power or data cable.

The "C" drive is whatever the OS boots from. The other drives get other drive letters.

Theleb_Kaarna

Reputable
Feb 28, 2017
Is there any way to temporarily cut power to or disconnect my M.2 D-Drive without having to physically remove it? Again, to get it out I'll have to pull my PC apart...

Edit: like disable it in the BIOS maybe?