[SOLVED] above 2400 mhz blue screen

Kurwa

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
Hi,

Tried to run my ram at 3200 mhz, would blue screen.
Went lower by one increment in bios until it allowed me to run (2400mhz).
Anything above 2400mhz causes me an instant bluescreen upon boot with the pc doing some weird thing where it sounds like its trying to boot like 2 times then takes me to bios.
I have been on and off this issue over the years where I would try to fix it for a couple of days, get annoyed, give up, repeat in a few months later. First time asking here :D

AMD Ryzen 5 2600
32gb (4x8 stick) corsair vengeance lpx ddr4 3200mhz
rog strix b450-f
BIOS was updated roughly 2 months ago.

I tried seeking help on some tech discords but wasn't very successful.

I tried using a dram calculator and following tutorials but did not get very far after ~ 5 hours of fiddling before I decided to stop before I harm something.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Solution
found out the issue was the motherboard was faulty, and 1 of the slots was capped at 2400, and one was capped at 2933 whilst the dual channel slots where working at 3200.
none of my ram sticks where faulty, just motherboard issues sadly.
That's not a motherboard issue. It's normal for Ryzen that more sticks will slower the RAMspeed because of the memorycontroller inside the CPU.
image.png.fbc9f6112c44aea77adcd2c8505ad082.png
If you check your RAM it will tell you what voltage it runs on at XMP(usually 1.35V). The problem most likely is that your RAM is not compatible with your motherboard and your CPU's memory controller may also have a part in it. Instead of running the sticks at 1.35V try 1.4V and slowly increase from 2400MHz till you crash. Do keep in mind anything above 1.4V can be iffy and may damage your sticks. XMP is technically overclocking and RAM overclocking can get pretty annoying. Even if you do go above 2400MHz your timings might loosen which will decrease performance so a lot of the gain from the increase in frequency may be negated by that. You can try though, maybe it'll work out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kurwa

Kurwa

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
If you check your RAM it will tell you what voltage it runs on at XMP(usually 1.35V). The problem most likely is that your RAM is not compatible with your motherboard and your CPU's memory controller may also have a part in it. Instead of running the sticks at 1.35V try 1.4V and slowly increase from 2400MHz till you crash. Do keep in mind anything above 1.4V can be iffy and may damage your sticks. XMP is technically overclocking and RAM overclocking can get pretty annoying. Even if you do go above 2400MHz your timings might loosen which will decrease performance so a lot of the gain from the increase in frequency may be negated by that. You can try though, maybe it'll work out.
Hey, thank you for the response.
I did some quick google searches and according to a few sites it seems to be compatible.

However, I have seen quite a few posts of people in a similar but not exact situation.

I believe I have tried 1.4v with a guy via discord in the past, I am pretty sure it lead to the same bluescreens.
Tried again just to know, have to revert to be able to use pc.
ghVaJ.png

I believe it might be an issue with timings, I have tried a few recommended ones (from looking at other peoples posts) and had no success. Also, I tried to use the dram calculator tool but I am not sure if I had used it correctly since I am not very well versed with this kind of stuff.

I was wondering if any of this could be caused by my <Mod Edit> power supply? (Aerocool Integrator 600W Power Supply, 80 Plus Bronze )

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Tried to run my ram at 3200 mhz, would blue screen.
Went lower by one increment in bios until it allowed me to run (2400mhz).
Anything above 2400mhz causes me an instant bluescreen upon boot with the pc doing some weird thing where it sounds like its trying to boot like 2 times then takes me to bios.
I have been on and off this issue over the years where I would try to fix it for a couple of days, get annoyed, give up, repeat in a few months later. First time asking here :D

AMD Ryzen 5 2600
32gb (4x8 stick) corsair vengeance lpx ddr4 3200mhz
rog strix b450-f
BIOS was updated roughly 2 months ago.

I tried seeking help on some tech discords but wasn't very successful.

I tried using a dram calculator and following tutorials but did not get very far after ~ 5 hours of fiddling before I decided to stop before I harm something.

Any help is very much appreciated.
Were these ram sticks a kit of 4 or 2 kits of 2 or 4 separate sticks you bought?

Try this...... use 2 sticks fitted in the proper slots for dual channel.
See if the speed will go above 2400.

Reactions: Kurwa

Kurwa

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
Were these ram sticks a kit of 4 or 2 kits of 2 or 4 separate sticks you bought?

Try this...... use 2 sticks fitted in the proper slots for dual channel.
See if the speed will go above 2400.
Hey, they where all in the right slots, i had 4.

I found out the issue was the motherboard was faulty, and 1 of the slots was capped at 2400, and one was capped at 2933 whilst the dual channel slots where working at 3200.

found out the issue was the motherboard was faulty, and 1 of the slots was capped at 2400, and one was capped at 2933 whilst the dual channel slots where working at 3200.
That's not a motherboard issue. It's normal for Ryzen that more sticks will slower the RAMspeed because of the memorycontroller inside the CPU.
image.png.fbc9f6112c44aea77adcd2c8505ad082.png

Solution