Question Above 30fps makes my GPU/CPU overheat real quick

Feb 21, 2019
Hello, so in any game my graphics card reaches to 39c-54c if Im running at above 30fps, its mostly my GPU but CPU also heats a bit, so I have to limit my fps to 30 in everygame I play, is this normal? I usually increase the gpu fan speed to %50 to cool down the heat with msi afterburner, but that seems did not help in long term since heat increases very rapidly, like 3-4 in miliseconds. My CPU 4790k (hyperthreading disabled by me) have stock fan on it and GPU is a MSI 1050 ti, mind you I already lower my CPU power in windows power settings- I think thats how I maintain somewhat acceptable heat range on my CPU but not GPU.

so what should I do to play games in at least 45-50fps, 30fps is not a problem to me I just want to play in above 30, its more like a personal opinion, but that extremely fast heat is a concern. or all of this is normal?

CPU 44c-57c in long term in games if I continue to play in above anything 30fps
GPU 37c-50c in long term in games if I continue to play in above anything 30fps

These are what I see in msi afterburner and possibly increase more if I stay in games more longer time, anything above 30fps, tested only around half to 1 hour.

**Of course I lower my in game settings as well

Feb 21, 2019
That temperature is around half of the limit that most GPUs can handle so it will be fine. I assume it's a laptop so just make sure the vents aren't covered.

Thank you! Thanks for fast reply! I was worried because in long term it keep increases depends on the cutscene in the game or action, so I thought it going to reduce the speed to cool down the hardware as a last resort, I'm all about lifespan of the computer I have but also I dont mind a bit more faster frame rate, so I tried to "balance" things in my knowledge

thanks both of you, I'm going to limit the fps to 45 just to see what happens, if everything is ok then I stop at 60, which is the normal limit as far as I'm aware

Reputable
Jun 29, 2016
Thank you! Thanks for fast reply! I was worried because in long term it keep increases depends on the cutscene in the game or action, so I thought it going to reduce the speed to cool down the hardware as a last resort, I'm all about lifespan of the computer I have but also I dont mind a bit more faster frame rate, so I tried to "balance" things in my knowledge

thanks both of you, I'm going to limit the fps to 45 just to see what happens, if everything is ok then I stop at 60, which is the normal limit as far as I'm aware
:) Keeping the low temperature may technically increase the life span but they should even be fine when operating around 70-80 degrees for an extended time. It may degrade performance but as you are no where near that upper limit i wouldn't worry.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
I wouldn't limit framerate at all personally, besides maybe using vsync which will cap FPS to the refresh rate of your monitor. I wouldn't manually limit performance for the sake of heat unless it is actually overheating and you aren't even close to that. A modern well built PC should last until well after it's obsolete running anywhere in it's safe temp range. Thermal cycling is actually thought to cause the most wear on electronics, which is a component getting hot then cooling off and repeat, not sustained heat assuming it's within the CPU's safe temp range. I have seen CPU's in severs that run under load near their thermal limit 24/7 for years with no issues and still work after they are replaced. So basically imo you should use your machine to it's fullest potential and not artificially limit it unless you have a good reason to do so.